Sign in to follow this  
IceFire

What would a real soldier do

I was playing MOH AA, and got to the mission where you have to meet up with your tank crew. You need to find them in the city of snipers.

It's a really bombed out little town perfect for snipers to find all sorts of places to hide.

Whenever I advance, there is a great chance I will be shot by an unseen sniper. I find myself anxiously looking in all directions whenever I advance to keep on checking incase I have just slightly advanced into the enemies sights.

Most of the time I don't see them as it is virtually impossible to spot them before they get a shot off.

My question is what would real soldiers do in circumstances like this where snipers could be anywhere?

Or is it generally accepted that you are dead meat.

hehe, i was stuck on this mission for ages a while back ... i finally did it though.

Well lets see if this was REAL-LIFE combat you could probably camp in a building, and use nades to bombard the area with snipers. they are very sneaky in thi mission so watch out.

Sadly though the ai can see you - through the wall(hence the quake 3 engine) although they dont fire and so are always pointing there guns at you wherever you hide 90% of the time tounge.gif

I used the grenade tactic and it worked for most of them although watchout you dont bounce it off the window/wall tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LowLevelFunctionary @ Dec. 05 2002,17:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well lets see if this was REAL-LIFE combat you could probably camp in a building, and use nades to bombard the area with snipers.  <span id='postcolor'>

Personally, I dont think using grenades would be the best solution to a sniper problem.......

It would work if you were REALLY close to the place where the snipers were hanging out, but its a bit hard to hurl a grenade down a street and still get it in through a window wihtout being shot first.

I agree with Denoir, use a tank to clear out the place.

Send tanks,call in mortars,artillery, a lot of things.Really counter sniping is kind of a last resort,sniper rifles aren't exactly widespread among infantry smile.gif

This is my favorite mission, if you know how to play it (use your Springfield carefully) it's soooo much fun.

I really enjoy this mission a lot...

i got through after the third time, and my bro was on it for more than 20 lol...

The one you have to mainly look out for is on the roof.

When you are facing the car, there is a building on your right which you can go up into the top level. The enemy sniper is just on the other side of the wall to your right, so when your going through the town you have to look for him because he constantly bobs his head up and down.

Other than him theres one right on the other side of the town in a window, which is quite hard to see him as he's surrounded by mostly shadow, but you get the hang after a while. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One word: tanks<span id='postcolor'>

LOL, just run them over. biggrin.gif

It all depends on the environment. There are a 100 different answers.

If it was an inner city or suburban area in a total war, you would probably deploy support weapons to where you thought the sniper was. Everything from M-203's, FN-MAG's, Minimi's, mortar, you name it. If a sniper knows he's been spotted he usually won't stay there for long with all the rounds heading in his general direction.

If all else fails: tanks. tounge.gif

Tyler

One of the problems they had in world war two was, when they were engaged by a sniper, the troops would just lie down where they were. Which might be a good idea if you're taking fire from infantry, but not from snipers. A better idea is to run for cover so they at least have to make a leading shot. Make them earn their pay. smile.gif It'd probably work in your game, but I don't know if the ballistics in your game recquire you to lead a target. Otherwise it'd be pretty easy.

Generally, you want to get another sniper to combat enemy ones. Becuase one sniper can hold up a whole advance! And when you can't shoot em, Tanks tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Dec. 05 2002,23:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Generally, you want to get another sniper to combat enemy ones.  Becuase one sniper can hold up a whole advance!  And when you can't shoot em, Tanks  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

in a real life direct action involving snipers it would probably be an entire ODA going in with two snipers and their spotters.

the rest of the team would set up blocking positions with a SAW up front and several others providing cover with their M-4s, just in case the mission would go to pot and they'd come after you.

to take a sniper contingent out would most likely involve heavy casualties on the attackers' side.

but I heard it can be done...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sam Samson @ Dec. 05 2002,23:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">in a real life direct action involving snipers it would probably be an entire ODA going in with two snipers and their spotters.

the rest of the team would set up blocking positions with a SAW up front and several others providing cover with their M-4s, just in case the mission would go to pot and they'd come after you.<span id='postcolor'>

Not at all smile.gif Only if you have no choice at all. Normally you use mortars or if in an active urban environment you call in tanks for support.

in a "normal" urban war scenario tannks wouldnt be such a good idea IMHO

tanks can be "snipered" too...with AT Weapons.

Tankers dont like urban warfare as you cant see very well from ya tank and your agility and speed is very low...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([76]Chavez @ Dec. 06 2002,08:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">in a "normal" urban war scenario tannks wouldnt be such a good idea IMHO

Tankers dont like urban warfare as you cant see very well from ya tank and your agility and speed is very low...<span id='postcolor'>

Thats why the tanks have good infantry support.......

And anyway, sniper rifles arn't going to take out tanks.

I suppose you could lay some kind of trap were you get a few snipers to lure out the enemies tanks then have AT gunners close-by to pick them off, but the effectivness of the tactic depends on what kind of AT weapons you have and what kind of tanks the enemy has. An RPG-7 with the old warheads isn't going to do any damage to an Abrams without a LOT of luck. Just like a AT-4(The American weapon) won't take out a T-8O with ERA.

And well, if tanks are a no-go for whatever reason (are unavaliable or too dangerous) just use mortars as has been sugested.

There r enough modern AT System to take out a take, especially from above as the armor is very thin there.

And in urban warfare you can get a high position quite easily.

Snipers of course wouldnt take out tanks. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ Dec. 06 2002,09:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One word: Thermal Imaging. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That can let you see where the sniper is, but it dosnt mean that you can actualy kill the sniper.......

preditor drones could do the trick, that is if the city doesn't have tall buildings.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Dec. 06 2002,01:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ Dec. 06 2002,09:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One word: Thermal Imaging. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That can let you see where the sniper is, but it dosnt mean that you can actualy kill the sniper.......<span id='postcolor'>

Put it on your gun, then you can wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ Dec. 06 2002,10:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Dec. 06 2002,01:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ Dec. 06 2002,09:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One word: Thermal Imaging. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That can let you see where the sniper is, but it dosnt mean that you can actualy kill the sniper.......<span id='postcolor'>

Put it on your gun, then you can wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

But if you taking cover behind lets say a knocked out tank, you can't exactly shoot through the tank with an assualt rifle..... True, you might be able to see through the tank, but that dsont give your bullets special powers, and since moving out if cover to take the shot means puttin yourself in harms way, your back to square one. What thermal imaging would be good for would to locate the sniper then send in the big guns/tank to do the job.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Dec. 06 2002,01:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([76]Chavez @ Dec. 06 2002,08:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">in a "normal" urban war scenario tannks wouldnt be such a good idea IMHO

Tankers dont like urban warfare as you cant see very well from ya tank and your agility and speed is very low...<span id='postcolor'>

Thats why the tanks have good infantry support.......

And anyway, sniper rifles arn't going to take out tanks.

I suppose you could lay some kind of trap were you get a few snipers to lure out the enemies tanks then have AT gunners close-by to pick them off, but the effectivness of the tactic depends on what kind of AT weapons you have and what kind of tanks the enemy has. An RPG-7 with the old warheads isn't going to do any damage to an Abrams without a LOT of luck. Just like a AT-4(The American weapon) won't take out a T-8O with ERA.

And well, if tanks are a no-go for whatever reason (are unavaliable or too dangerous) just use mortars as has been sugested.<span id='postcolor'>

Wrong.

Ok, infantry call for tanks because they are trapped, but tanks should be allowed to go safely supporting infantry because themselves have a strong infantry support. Weren't they trapped under fire ?

Do you know what's the armour of the side and of the upper turret of an abram's ??

Well, frontal armour is made of Cobham typed spaced armour designed to be effective the most against hollow charge, and with a depleted uranium plate since some versions of the tank to give better protection against kinetic energy penetrators.

But, for the Abrams, as for the Leopard2, except the two very big armour boxes each side of the canon, the turret is virtually made of paper compared to what a global MBT protection should be.

Be sure old type RPG7 projectiles will go trough that thin armour. And be sure some people wiill practice sniping with rocket launchers, against tanks or against ambushed snipers wink.gif

And mortars in an urban environment...well, best artillery suited weapon for that in indirect fire, but treating the objective ( a sniper ambushed in partial ruins ) is a lucky shoot. Or massive fire needed with medium to heavy mortars and retardated fuses, long job.

Thermal imagery to spott snipers is a good idea but they have to be exposed, yes IR is not a see-through device biggrin.gifwink.gif

See the russians in Checnya : truck based multiple rockets and launchers heavy tracked howitzers in direct fire to chase the ambushed ennemy ; for the infantry : heavy use of thermobaric and others rocket launchers to destroy entrenchered spots in ruins and buildings while HEAVY full auto fire from machine guns, AR and grenade launchers on every place the thread could come for to allow moves under cover to progress ant take positions.