Idea was to create a feature where you get 'something' for headshots. A side reward for accurate shot, mostly for CQB.
Kill-feed is not the ideal option for arma or popping text with sound ..so I came up with this.

Description: Headgear should have some protection, but what about goggles and NVG's? They shouldn't be that durable, especially if a unit gets killed with headshot.

Helmets seems to be all static which are not. If you put a .50 cal round to the head, It's simply not possible for helmet to stay one piece. So I made them destroyable as well.

Weapons with different caliber will act different on headgear, according to armor level. For example you won't be destroying armor level 3 headgear with a MX rifle although you might destroy level 2 helmet. For armor level4 headgear, you need high caliber weapon.

There are different particle effects including coughing blood, big spray (of blood) going off mid air etc etc. For the helmet damage, powerful enough weapon caliber (like asp kir, gm6 or .50 cal) will not only destoy helmet; it will cause helmet parts to catch fire briefly.

• Brand new visual effects for head wounds, fatal or not.
  • particle effects: friction sparks, glass shards, blood, fire dust, electric parts failure smoke, headgear parts and hat / helmet fly-off
  • Randomized particle effects according to gear present on unit
  • Each effect is randomized within itself for authentic simulation
  • HMD / Helmet destruction by a head wound mainly depends on chance which is currently at %77
  • HMDs can be broken with a non fatal shot. This depends on used weapon type and damage value.
  • Helmets can only be destroyed with weapon calibers equal to and/or higher than 7.62
  • Other factors such as helmet's armor level taken into account with weapon caliber for a better simulation
  • 5 different sound samples for HMD destruction played random each time
  • 8 different sound samples for helmet taking heavy damage
  • Damage from a very high caliber weapon such as .50cal mounted on offroad, GM6 Lynx can cause parts to catch fire briefly
  • In order to make 'catch fire briefly' fx visible you have to have particles 'high' in video options
  • Performance demand of this add-on is minimal as It uses no loops and nothing is added to Arma scheduler

Version: v1.14

Workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1273833677

Github: https://github.com/the0utsider/ballistic-impact

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Add-on is updated; now you have 10 different particle effects for destruction of HMD, more randomization, some more additional effects selected random as well with...

hat/helmet fly-off feature.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 19/1/2018 at 3:00 AM, goko-- said:

Github: link will be up soon

This is adding definitely more imersion in arma !

• Thanks 1

Petty cool concept, although I'm almost 100% sure that any sort of "tactical" glass would never actually shatter, for the obvious reasons, also 99% of such "goggles" are made from a  laminated plastic, and they don't tend to shatter, cool immersion feature, albeit a little unrealistic when it comes to the real deal hardware.

• Like 1

@road runner That's why I was going to call it "cheap nvg's from china" at first but, implementing caliber calculations made it seem a little bit more serious. There will be fine-tuning down the road as add-on develops, thanks for feedback.

• Like 2

A short story of mod, how it unfolded: for people who downlaoded, then started headshotting AI units after placing them in editor and thinking "well what is this crap, this hat/helmet launching like apollo space shuttle" :

Idea came to me back approx 3,5 weeks ago, after xmas. Most HL mods, even free ones have this "feedback"; It is simple but its a visual treat. I always wanted to simulate something like killfeed, but that is not the way for arma so I had to come up with something different. It couldn't be a HL mod-style helmet drop thing, so I dug in deeper... Started experimenting with "Hit" eventhandler. You can get projectile (bullet) velocity details with that one. I was thinking, "what if I remove current gear of soldier, and create new one, apply velocity of the bullet (speed vector) according to helmet's 'weight' ". Soon I realized, createVehicle is not something to mess around with already existing lag/delay between client and server. It was looking great onlocal, the helmet was flying off the opposite way you shot at (as it should) but synch was problem for MP. This could only be a SP mod and I wanted a MP compatible mod.

Then I found particle system and "drop" command from BIKI. This was way better than anything. It was allowing me to pick whatever I want and almost 0 cost on performance/bandwidth. I started experimenting. suddenly everything started to fit in. But the problem was, I had to use different eventhandler to actually simulate all this (calibers, armor levels, all of it). Kept trying it with "hit" eventHandler, no go... because it was missing the crucial parameters such as "damage". "HandleDamage" eventHandler was the way but that was missing projectile speed vector (bullet direction and velocity). So I had to give up on this detail of 'projectile velocity', to make whole thing possible. Right now particle effects are "randomized" for X, Y and Z axis. sometimes this can be really irrational, like, something you blow up come straight at you. or launch into air like I told. It is all randomized. It might look good for once when you try 100 times or not even once...It is all randomized.

I am trying to create a particle function that would allow me to pass some of the details like direction, damage value, etc to it. That will be the perfect effect and really look as it should. This is what I managed so far within a month, or 23days to be exact. so please consider this when you are evaulating the add-on. It will and only can be better with more feedback, so write them detailed as you can. Github will also going to be up soon. that will allow more people to get involved; More talented people than myself who isn't learned scriping basics less than half a year.

I had my mind blow when I saw add-on reached 2000 subscribers on steam just few days after launch, so I had to give something back and I put in all bunch of randomized visual effects. And at that time, I wasn't able to learn whole github bash and put this up there. but soon like I said.

Thanks for support and feedback. Good night/day to all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

evil_organ and George_gr what you think man, is it looking too bad? since you liked my last post , I can spam some questions at you

seriously man, doest it look that bad? how should it be?

anyway. good night, and thanks

edit:fuck im drunk

• Haha 2

It's def good for some laughs. All my years in the military never saw those happen though. Seen some ricochets off helmets but never sparks or a hat fly clean off. I won't go into detail with how the human head reacts to bullets, even with ballistic protection. But you can use your imagination 

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:15 AM, goko-- said:

Add-on is updated; now you have 10 different particle effects for destruction of HMD, more randomization, some more additional effects selected random as well with...

hat/helmet fly-off feature.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

Very cool mod do you think that it would be possible to do a mod like this for weapons having the ability or chance to destroy a firearm or the chance of knocking it out of one's hand either the players or AI

• Like 1

@Gill93 Yes, actually have that in mind as well: shooting one in the hand and causing drop of current weapon with chance factor.

All kinds of things can be done with handle dmg EH like: lets say you shot someone from torso (lower, where backpack is) and he have satchel in backpack, or c4 charge. blowing them up comes to mind, but other stuff can also be done...lets say you give more or less 10 seconds time for the guy to ditch backpack after some sparks or smoke start to come from pack etc. Or random grenade drops. just to add more fun into game.

@warlord554 I think I played too much unreal tournament as a kid, its all makes sense when you look within that scope :]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goko-- said:

@Gill93 Yes, actually have that in mind as well: shooting one in the hand and causing drop of current weapon with chance factor.

All kinds of things can be done with handle dmg EH like: lets say you shot someone from torso (lower, where backpack is) and he have satchel in backpack, or c4 charge. blowing them up comes to mind, but other stuff can also be done...lets say you give more or less 10 seconds time for the guy to ditch backpack after some sparks or smoke start to come from pack etc. Or random grenade drops. just to add more fun into game.

@warlord554 I think I played too much unreal tournament as a kid, its all makes sense when you look within that scope :]

Awesome man those are excellent Idea's looking forward to seeing what becomes of this mod in the future

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, warlord554 said:

It's def good for some laughs. All my years in the military never saw those happen though. Seen some ricochets off helmets but never sparks or a hat fly clean off. I won't go into detail with how the human head reacts to bullets, even with ballistic protection. But you can use your imagination 

what about HMD, that stuff have electronics in them and bullet should cut it like butter no? or other things which like camera on helmet, those are common these days. Dont they get destroyed / cause some kind of spark?

If you can help me with field experience on how this stuff should be / look like, I can definately implement them on the next update and fine tune.

• Like 1

Made a small update with add on this morning, arcade as it is, the particles' direction were all random but not anymore. It made simulation more believable for sure.

V1.12 - 02-04-2018:
- Added vector 3D calculations for setting up velocity (using weaponDirection and VectorMultiply commands)
- Now hat / helmet movement and destruction simulation depends on impact vector (no more random)

• Like 3

update WIP

metal surface impacts

• Like 3

Updated. added metal surface impact fx to the mod, minor fixes to other effects and better light emission.

need some feedback if you are reading and willing to give it few minutes.

'particles' in video settings have impact now, low normal and high will give you different visual effects. I tried to keep it minimal so even on my 8 year old amd 5850 gpu, high is doable, normal have almost zero effect on performance, low is totally doable with zero hit on FPS.

need feedback...from you people.

• Thanks 1

Oh boy this looks like wicked fun man, I'll install it once I'm home from the office and check it out.  Exciting!

• Like 1

nice!  can we expect new effects for wood and concrete ? something like smaller and bigger fragments of it are flying with some dust? 

On 10/12/2018 at 4:21 AM, mihal190 said:

nice!  can we expect new effects for wood and concrete ? something like smaller and bigger fragments of it are flying with some dust? 

yeah I'd like to turn this into something more arcade with huge rubbles coming out of walls but, that would be a different particle mod rather than headshot detection with caliber and armor calculations.Even the metal surface stuff was too much to include in this, I was hesitating "people will go 'what the fuck is this, I downloaded a headshot add-on, this thing adds so many shit I didn't ask, I don't want that" you see what I mean?

• Like 1

I just found this now, and think its awesome.  That firefight around metal buildings and pipes looked fabulous.   Nice work.  I really like the metal surface effects personally, as it creates a greater intensity in a firefight.

Can you  post the particle effects code for creating broken glass shards?  @beno_83au  just created a very cool mirror script, that could benefit from a broken glass effect when shot.  Here's the link to his mirror script topic:  

• Like 4

@goko-- Loving the mod ,however i just wanted to ask is there a way to make it compatible with modded units?

It actually does work on certain modded units,some others not so much even though they are using vanilla helmets

• Thanks 1