fingolfin

[Beta] Altis Armed Forces 2017

I vaguely remember early Arma 3 having a greek lettering police vest and I assume they had at one point in time planned a proper police force and then abandoned the idea. Perhaps maybe changing the police vest and vehicle from english to greek would be a nice bit of immersion, just an idea though, and the other suggestion I had was if you had the Laws of War dlc, the press helmet with neck flap would make a good riot helmet, with police written across the front. or one of the van's getting a police retexture. 

3 hours ago, yevgeni89 said:

I vaguely remember early Arma 3 having a greek lettering police vest and I assume they had at one point in time planned a proper police force and then abandoned the idea. Perhaps maybe changing the police vest and vehicle from english to greek would be a nice bit of immersion, just an idea though, and the other suggestion I had was if you had the Laws of War dlc, the press helmet with neck flap would make a good riot helmet, with police written across the front. or one of the van's getting a police retexture. 

A retexture of the van is planned. Regarding the vests: Isn't Altis a mostly English speeking country? There are no Greek voices in the game at all.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fingolfin said:

A retexture of the van is planned. Regarding the vests: Isn't Altis a mostly English speeking country? There are no Greek voices in the game at all.

That's what I wondered too. There's already an English police vest in-game, and a fitting English police cap. The only thing Greek I can find are signs.

They speak english with a greek/altian accent, but geuinely being so close I believe they would speak greek,read and write in greek, and in alpha the police vest was greek then they changed it later to english, but the rest of the signs in the country are all in greek , it seems as if there was a continuity problem that was never addressed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yevgeni89 said:

They speak english with a greek/altian accent, but geuinely being so close I believe they would speak greek,read and write in greek, and in alpha the police vest was greek then they changed it later to english, but the rest of the signs in the country are all in greek , it seems as if there was a continuity problem that was never addressed.

Well actually Altis and Stratis are nowhere near Greece, but between Sicily and Libya

2 minutes ago, pipewr3nch said:

Well actually Altis and Stratis are nowhere near Greece, but between Sicily and Libya

Are we talking in game or in real life?

Just now, Alex150201 said:

In-game of course, that's why I said Altis and not Limnos

in-game, the location in real life is between Greece and Turkey.

1 minute ago, pipewr3nch said:

In-game of course, that's why I said Altis and not Limnos

Yes indeed, in game they are near Sicily and Libya but I am pretty sure they still maintain their Greek identity since all signs are written in Greek, all character names that are from Altis or Stratis are Greek but I will disagree @yevgeni89 that they speak with neither a Greek nor an Italian accent as from what I've heard from my time in both countries English with those accents sounds nothing like it sounds in game :)

Yes indeed, in game they are near Sicily and Libya but I am pretty sure they still maintain their Greek identity since all signs are written in Greek, all character names that are from Altis or Stratis are Greek [...]

Actually they are not Greek but descendants of the Phoenicians. I know that Altis and Stratis are based on the Greek islands Limnos and Agios Efstratios, but lore says they are not Greeks, so I'm not really sure why Bohemia chose to give all those locations Greek names.

And in-game in the Arsenal their voices are called "Altian English", which I interpret as English being their official language. 

• Like 1

Just now, pipewr3nch said:

Actually they are not Greek but descendants of the Phoenicians. I know that Altis and Stratis are based on the Greek islands Limnos and Agios Efstratios, but lore says they are not Greeks, so I'm not really sure why Bohemia chose to give all those locations Greek names.

And in-game in the Arsenal their voices are called "Altian English", which I interpret as English being their official language. 

PM me a link I am interested in the lore. Around 1800 hrs in arma 3 gone through the campaign a couple of times and I still really don't know what happened before the main story :D

PM me a link I am interested in the lore. Around 1800 hrs in arma 3 gone through the campaign a couple of times and I still really don't know what happened before the main story :D

Well it's not really "lore", but rather just the tool-tips when loading up the map. But still, coming from Bohemia I think they are quite official.

19 minutes ago, temon said:

@fingolfin , Another small issue. You've choosen wrong texture to Ural BM-21.

Reveal hidden contents

0D1uNBc.jpg

Thanks, will be fixed in the next version.

• Like 1

@fingolfin , And one more offer to you. :-) Why don't you add to police units offroad with flashing lights and vans with new textures?

Spoiler

kcYQmFm.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, temon said:

@fingolfin , And one more offer to you. :-) Why don't you add to police units offroad with flashing lights and vans with new textures?

Hide contents

kcYQmFm.jpg

I like that idea with the only part I dislike being the van and that off road saying "Gendarmerie" on it. Police would definately be more fitting

2 minutes ago, Alex150201 said:

I like that idea with the only part I dislike being the van and that off road saying "Gendarmerie" on it. Police would definately be more fitting

As i said, "with new textures". Fingolfin already got offroad retexture, now the queue of vans.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, temon said:

As i said, "with new textures". Fingolfin already got offroad retexture, now the queue of vans.

It's late here and I am tired, don't mind me :)

Really been enjoying this mod as I commented on Steam already.

I've been using it a lot with Dynamic Recon Ops and Dynamic Combat Ops. So far the only "issue" I've encountered is that the code used by DRO and DCO to identify support assets doesn't pick up the air assets in your mod for support functions, but I just use the options in DRO and DCO to work around it with other factions functioning as "support". I assume it's something on DRO/DCOs end, only reason I mention it is in case someone else comes looking in here with questions as to why it is that way.

Looking forward to any future updates you have planned, but loving it as is. This is probably the most use I've gotten out of the Altis map since I bought the game. I've already converted one of my old public vanilla missions to use your mod, and I'm trying to figure out if I want to make a full stand-alone mission with this mod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a theory that the "Altian" voices might actually just be Czech voice actors or BI employees. if Bohemia Interactive terrains had access to legitimate greek VAs, they would have probably opted for Greek being spoken. perhaps that was the plan but then after their spying fiasco on Limnos they weren't able to make it happen so they switched over to english. in the game lore, Altis is a former british colony so it makes sense I suppose. you could argue that the greek signs are traditional names but english became the lingua franca of the area over years of subservience to britain and eventually became standard. maybe the greek language came in from greek occupation in ancient times, repressing the originally Phoenician culture. there's all kinds of ways we can fill the plot holes BI left us.

• Like 5

Altis was a British Colony but some things (Like the hospital) are in Greek. Maybe a bilingual approach is best? Like the way the RCMP are the RCMP/GRC.  

• Like 1

Hi, I have a little Problem:

AAF 2017 and Caucasus Insurgency use a identically named bikey -> people can join our Server with both mods active but i just want them to use AAF 2017.

I would appreciate uniquely named bikeys :)

But none the less great mod and great textures i realy appreciate your work!

On 16/02/2018 at 4:24 AM, fingolfin said:

Have any of you considered that this can be a country with two official languages? Since it became a part of the British empire in 1916 and it lasted for some time before it's independency?

And even after the independency it clearly has suffered a lot of influence from the UK and it was even an EU country

On 16/02/2018 at 8:26 PM, wsxcgy said:

I have a theory that the "Altian" voices might actually just be Czech voice actors or BI employees. if Bohemia Interactive terrains had access to legitimate greek VAs, they would have probably opted for Greek being spoken. perhaps that was the plan but then after their spying fiasco on Limnos they weren't able to make it happen so they switched over to english. in the game lore, Altis is a former british colony so it makes sense I suppose. you could argue that the greek signs are traditional names but english became the lingua franca of the area over years of subservience to britain and eventually became standard. maybe the greek language came in from greek occupation in ancient times, repressing the originally Phoenician culture. there's all kinds of ways we can fill the plot holes BI left us.

The Phoenician became nothing but ruin after the Arabs dominated the country during the medieval times, and later they were colonized by Venicians (Which I guess it were Venetian's, because I searched for venicians and found nothing)

As for the Greek, some people might say that the country is no where near Greece, but is close enough to navigations during the 1700 to 1800 which I guess could be possible.

I agree with your theory.

• Like 1