vWTqhxU.jpg

Spearpoint: No More Heroes

During the cold war the armed forces of the United Kingdom took position as one of the key militaries upholding the defence of the free world. At the tip of the spear was a volunteer army made up of 160,000 personnel across the globe. Spearpoint tells their story.

Get it now on Steam Workshop

Join the discord 

Dependency
Requires CBA

Features

UK armed forces mod spanning the era of mid 1960's to mid 1980's, representing all major theatres of combat: The Cold War in Europe, Arctic deployments as per The Falklands conflict, Desert as per the Aden Emergency and Tropical gear befitting Malaya.

This initial release focuses on the uniforms, equipment and weaponry of the infantry.

A small note

This period of British military history involves multiple conflicts which to modern eyes and sensibilities have ethically questionable elements. For the sake of the wider community and perception of this work I would suggest a tactful approach to creating and distributing missions involving these conflicts - Northern Ireland and Aden in particular, but all warfare has ugly moments. The scars of these conflicts are still felt by some, and I do not intend to court that kind of controversy. If you take issue with this statement or any content put out by the community using this mod, feel free to contact here or via Discord.

Screenshots

Spoiler

ZSR4rzE.jpg

9e37Cm2.jpg

YSsmFmB.jpg

0t6Icbu.jpg

Fr23kj0.jpg

fNuSxJ7.jpg

Content

Spoiler

Uniforms
60 pattern OD, Khaki and DPM combat outfit
60 pattern Tropical outfit in same as above
63 pattern Smock (canoeist), used by SBS/SAS in a range of colours
68 pattern Combats in DPM
68 pattern Arctic smock in DPM
72 pattern Denison Para smock
72 pattern Tropical outfit in Tropical DPM
80 Pattern Para smock in DPM
NBC Nato Mk.3 Suit

Webbing
58 pattern webbing in various configurations
58 pattern Large pack
Rucksack GS

Weaponry
Many kinds of L1A1 SLR
Early and late model GPMG
Bren
Sterling
LAW 66

Carl Gustav

Headgear
Berets of all shades
Cap Combat DPM
MkV helmet, Airborne Mk.2 and RAC Helmet in all manner of paint jobs and finishes

Facewear
S6 Respirator
Moustaches

Systems
Different moustaches assigned to different identities
Hood up/down when putting on/removing gas mask with Nato suit

Credits

Over a year ago I began the process of learning to mod Arma 3 and put together Spearpoint. This would not have been possible without the mentoring and support of Mondkalb and the rest of the Arma Cold Warriors Discord channel. They are too numerous to name here, but the happy responses, healthy critique and empathy in frustration are what stopped me from giving up on this months ago.

The Arma 3 community as a whole has contributed to a huge knowledge base that I leaned heavily upon to get this mod in to the world. The Volunteer Commando Battalion is a group that kept me interested in playing Arma for years past its original run (back to the earliest days of OFP), and I would wholeheartedly recommend checking them out if you want to play with this mod in tactical realism scenarios.

Thanks to red_spring for the photography shown in this post. Thanks to toadie2k for weapon animation tutorials and files.

License

All content released in Arma3 game-readable and Real-virtuality3 encoded content fall subject to the Arma Public Share-Alike (APL-SA) License, unless otherwise specified.

Exceptions to this license are made in the following, with stipulations regarding use -

Any persons or entities directly or indirectly involved with active development of Arma 3 Life OR Arma 3 Life derivatives ( additionally, by alias; Caiden). Stipulations - Do Not Redistribute, No alteration or de-binarizing of content, no use at all within publicly distributed data-archives(including executable installation) for entities that receive more than US$10 in lifetime donations. This exception applies retroactively. Failure to adhere to this will result in legal action.

Any persons who have directly contacted myself (Spearpoint) to seek out explicit usage permissions retain use under agreed terms.

Unless specified, all content provided in non-engine proprietary formats (i.e "Source Files") is provided under the licensing of Creative Commons Non-Commercial Share-alike License

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

Very nice. As a fan of Cold War scenarios, I hope that this will come to fruition and eventually include not just weapons and units but also vehicles and other equipment as well. There are some great looking CW mods in the works that will hopefully provide some awesome gameplay at some point in the hopefully not too distant future. However, there are two very important participants of the CW whose assets are conspicuously missing from the era, when those mods are considered as a whole. Those missing assets are the British and French armies. Hopefully, your mod can fill one of those gaps as it's hard to imagine simulating CW scenarios without the British Army of the Rhine. BTW, there was a discussion of the A3 Cold War mods that have been released or are in the works, in the thread linked below but be aware that the German Armed Forces mod is now known as Global Mobilization. 

• Like 3

Not possible! Thats amazing! And you got yourself quite a bit of progress so far. Lovely!

• Like 1

Outstanding.. I'd love to see this fully developed. As someone from Northern Ireland, I'd love to see the relevant kit added in when you've got the base stuff squared away. If you want any help, let me know

• Like 1

Looking good there love the mustaches can we expect some MK4 helmets for the infantry?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Phantom Hawk said:

..can we expect some MK4 helmets for the infantry?

yes

23 hours ago, Flinty said:

..I'd love to see the relevant kit added in..

No riot gear, but all in probably well represented by the rest of the set.

On 1/14/2018 at 9:41 PM, scimitar said:

Very nice. As a fan of..

Check out the Discord in that thread :f: If there's anyone else putting an earnest effort in to vehicles, weapons or aircraft I'd be interested in hearing from them 

Progress update: An early pattern DPM Windproof being sported by Arma's Tim Curry lookalike

h62dO2b.jpg

A range of windproofs

RPygvUc.jpg

• Like 15

Are we likely to see ECBA body armour in this mod? As far as I know it was introduced in the 80s, so its within the time frame.

Almost certainly - We are likely gonna split off late 80s gear into a separate release from the 60's - early 80s content - with kit like ECBA, PLCE webbing and the Mk.6 helmet it has a lot more in common with CS95 and so will probably end up packaged like that.

• Like 3

Work continues this week on weaponry, with L1A1 SLR, L2A3 Sterling, L4 LMG and L7 GPMG due to feature in the first release.

dKxTjHU.jpg

• Like 6

On 2/11/2018 at 8:24 PM, scrombleboy said:

Are we likely to see ECBA body armour in this mod? As far as I know it was introduced in the 80s

Original CBA soft armour vest with two utility pockets on the front was introduced in 1989. ECBA with the pockets for ceramic plates on front and back, wasn't introduced until the early/mid 90s. Probably as part of CS95.

Certainly on Op Granby (1991 Gulf War) and the earlier part of Op Grapple (Bosnia 92/93) troops were deployed with CBA, not ECBA. By the end of Op Grapple (93/94) and start of Op Resolute (IFOR, 1995) everyone was in ECBA.

The older INIBA vest with small plates similar to ECBA, was still being used for ballistic protection on Op Banner in the early 1990s.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Will the mod include the M76 paratrooper helmet as well as the olive green 1960s combat jacket?

PA-11197766.jpg

Edited by Commander NEKO

I second the request/question about combat jacket. I'd also like to ask, will we be seeing tropical gear so we can recreate eg. Aden and Malaysia scenarios?

ErlWLqI.png

• Like 1

On 3/22/2018 at 11:30 PM, Commander NEKO said:

Will the mod include the M76 paratrooper helmet as well as the olive green 1960s combat jacket?

M76 yes, OD uniform yes but not the main focus, so lower fidelity

On 3/24/2018 at 12:07 PM, scajolly said:

I second the request/question about combat jacket. I'd also like to ask, will we be seeing tropical gear so we can recreate eg. Aden and Malaysia scenarios?

DPM Yes, khaki/desert unlikely

Progress on weaponry is plodding along, L1A1 SLR is well on its way

xtdGbhJ.jpg

• Like 7

Post snipped - no longer necessary.

Edited by Spearpoint
  • Like 1