Sign in to follow this  
mfcti

Mf conquer the island

If anyone is running this on a dedicated server, kindly let us know. My poor computer can barely run OFP much less host sad.gif

I will maybe modify your CTI map some to suit GP public server as any map that goes over 40mins is considered Illegal sometimes. I Might make it so each team starts with 50k also increase teamsize and maybe add 2 more sides, Resistance and Civilian. all in all this will take me some time to do, well not realy but atm I CBF so maybe later when the temp drops below 4000C smile.gif    Australia is HOT smile.gif

I forgot to mention that Helicopters seem to be able to just ZOOM over the towns and teams are able to capture towns too easily. Often we experienced in a game were we capture a town only to loose it to a Heli zooming past... Maybe you can exclude captues by helicopters?

Excellent, can't wait to try the new version. For those of you that find it too easy, try adding additional units to the other side (maybe start them in a few of the towns already from the get go with a garrison to hold the towns). This may help balance the game (at least initially, until you take those garrison's out).

Just one or two bug reports/suggestions... I have found that if for example I have 2 T-80's and one Shilka all filled with Spetz natz (cos they have much more skill) I say all fall back into formation, and they follow some other dude, other than me, I'm my tanks driver of course... This is very irritating when I wanna make a tank assault but can't go anywhere cos my guys won't follow me :/

Secondly I was fortunate enough to capture an Abrams that was very badly damaged so it was abandoned, I grabed my repare truck and had me a brand new Abrams that didn't cost me a penny. (I had another one too, but it wasn't repared when I took it back to base, and the stationary guns killed me in it =/) When I attempted to fill the Abrams with me as the driver and 2 other Spetz Natz they got in, then fell back out.. They refused to use my Abrams =(((( Is this a bug?..

I really think the Resistance should be added very soon... I mean in my time playing just today in an earlier game I had a BMP that I could have stolen after damaging it enough for the crew to abandon, then just now I stole 2 Abrams and 2 Apache's.... This sort of kit is seriously good for the Resistance, and very valuable.

I had a think about the Resistance playing and I think you should start with all the towns, and gain a small amount from each and have the same equipment as now, but able to steal things that get abandoned etc.Then, when you die, you would respawn in the capital city on the island, and when all the towns are captured,you would start in the biggest town that isn't named on the map.

Also would it be possible to make the AI soldiers pack some weapons in thier vehicles, such as AA and AT equipment so as a Resistance soldier these items might come in VERY handy as you won't have a barraks or anything the Army's have.

As someone allready said the Civillans could play too, dunno how they'd work though, maybe a pistol for some, and perhaps a Kozlice?.. with 2 mags?.. Maybe a civie car of some sort.. I dunno I'm sure it would be good though, and they should make an apearance cos I mean it's thier island we're having a war on biggrin.gif

I also think the enemy base sometimes starts pretty close to mine, as it says in the additions you made them start further away it just doesn't seem like it. The AI never buy things like UAZ's or Jeeps either? Also can we have more loadouts?.. like the FN FAL and maybe more pistol choices, although to be honest I haven't needed to use my pistol yet..

But what I'd like to see most of all as an addition if the ability to play as the Resistance! That would be awesome trying to destroy the enemy with virtualy nothing compared to them. biggrin.gif

By the way nubbin what did you mean by - For those of you that find it too easy, try adding additional units to the other side (maybe start them in a few of the towns already from the get go with a garrison to hold the towns). - How do you do that?

Anyway, sorry for writing to much D:

I sent the last beta to most of the major sites (including the one listed above) last week but nothing so far. Perhaps it is a media blackout...;) The next version will probably take a little longer as I am still finding plenty of bugs to spend time on. I have added a few new features, though. Here is what was added recently:

-Ambulances

-Fuel trucks

-Field hospitals

I have plans for adding the Resistance but that will probably happen after the beta is complete. Here is what I had in mind. The Resistance would start at one or two randomly placed bases. The more towns that are taken over by the east/west the more money is given to the Resistance from discontent civilians. The Resistance could buy troops and light vehicles. Perhaps even a mechanic's truck that could repair a destroyed vehicle. I have no plans for balancing the Resistance. They will probably fight the losing battle and that side should be played by the most experienced players who want a challenge.

Spencer,

What I meant was:

Unpbo the file. Then put it into your user directory and actually edit the mission. What my friends and I usually do is start the Russians off in most of the towns with a squad, or a squad and a tank defending it.

I haven't done this with the new version yet though, so balancing may be an issue, but I think you get the idea. having the russians start with most of the towns will allow them to focus their efforts more so its more of a "cooridinated" front that they will give. I don't know how effective the ai is at finding your base, in the new version, but in the old version we helped it out by moving our base to one of the towns. That way, at least theoretically, the ai would come accross your base.

The other thing we did was have someone put into the mobile base as a gunner at a ll times (an ai guy). That way, if the enemy ai comes accross your base, they will actually shoot it (they don't shoot at empty vehicles).

Just a couple things to help the ai, and actually give you a chance to lose.

Oh of course yeah, great idea.. As long as mfcti doesn't mind. Um.. I'm gonna do it and see if I can play as Resistance biggrin.gif yay!

By the way, the field hospital and ambulance is a great idea, because I get hit in a fight quite alot and have my aim ruined.. Plus you could pack the ambulance with weapons biggrin.gif It would bring a new role into the game, how about being able to heal soldiers WITHOUT them asking?.. Or is that not possible?

One thing I've found annoying is the AI can never keep up with me in my tanks or choppers, really irritating to have them say WHERE ARE YOU?! in thier annoying voice, dunno if that's anything you could sort out or if it's just an OFP thing in general. Anyway, I'm wasting valuable playing time! biggrin.gif

I would just like the oppurtunity to use a 12.7 mm rifle in this mod. Little thing, but might be fun to snipe at APCs running all over the place.

I've just remembered to post that when a game is going along for a couple of hours or more the play gets very laggy, the fram rates drop alot.. I suspect it's becuase of all the dead bodies piling up and things like that?....... Just wondering if there's anything that can be done?

mfcti - thx for a great mod - I think it will revolutionise how most people play this game.

The plans to add fuel trucks and ambulances sound like a good idea.  Miners are potentially trouble though, as the AI won't know to look for them, and I don't think there is any way for AI to remove them.

One thing I have found helpful as a commander is to send an AI soldier to each town I have captured.  Then I tell him to take cover, engage at will, go prone and scan horizon.  That way I can free up squads for other operations while still earning income, plus it acts as an early warning system when any enemy units approach.  

Also, if as commander you place one of your AI soldiers in a truck driven by one of your squads, you need to tell the squad to diembark vehicles before your soldier will disembark too.   Then you can tell the transporting squad to command nearby vehicles again (need to click this more than once if there are multiple trucks).  This isn't necessary when one squad transports another squad, just with your AI soldiers.

An addition I would love to see is the ability to send a squad to a waypoint, and then say defend current position.  This way, you could have squads defend road junctions or hillsides without having to build a control centre at that position first.

All in all, thanks again for reinvigorating OFP MP madness!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LFA @ Nov. 08 2002,09:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">mfcti - thx for a great mod - I think it will revolutionise how most people play this game.

The plans to add fuel trucks and ambulances sound like a good idea.  Miners are potentially trouble though, as the AI won't know to look for them, and I don't think there is any way for AI to remove them.<span id='postcolor'>

Fuel trucks and ambulances won't be much but good.

I see the concern with mines, but minelaying has been a part of the game for a while already. (Mines were available in ammo trucks, I think)

However, you need engineers to remove them (or disable them).

First of all, I'd like to see the ai lay mines. Possibly on order from a human commander. Secondly, I don't believe it is quite that hard to make an ai remove mines.

But unless they can be made to somehow detect mines, it might be a problem. But not as big as it might seem at first.

Myself, I tended to change the file a bit, so that the alpha->foxtrot leaders was changed from "soldier (steyr)" to "engineer". Had no effect on loadout, since that was customized by a script, but added that couple of actions.

An interesting thing for engineers would be if they could "Plant MineFlag" to place a much more visible marker on the ground. Put it on the "Might do sometime" list...

This could also be released as a "code snippet" of its own, possibly with a proper mineflag addon with a simple new model - a marker flag. I don't think there is anything really good for this purpose around.

Have I been rambling again?

I'm currently hunting bugs so I can release the next version. I have added a bunch of small features and reduced the code a little. I'll try to post the details pretty soon...

thanks a lot for this great mission!

i was just playing it on a public for three hours, and it was a BLAST! we destroyed their mobile hq first, but didnt manage to destroy their base fast enough... so we lost tounge.gif

but one thing is really annoying, esp. on publics: quitters

we had to fight 4 vs 7...

i dont know how you do the ai-code (on the server or the commanders computer?), but i think its possible to check on the server who is still a remote (human) player and who is ai-controlled.

it would really help if the ai-controlled quitter-groupleaders would be as controlable as the "native" ai-groupleaders...

if you dont have the time, i could try to write the script for that...

It looks like the next version is finally nearing completion. I have fixed a few of the really tough bugs. Here is a complete list of features that have been added since the last release:

-Added AI substitution when a player disconnects.

-Added player names to the Team Camera.

-Added player names to commander menus.

-Added ability for all players to use the repair truck to build defense structures.

-Buildings now show that they are in use when building a unit (on the menu).

-Eliminated some redundant code.

-Added sandbag construction and auto-align option.

-When a commander is killed the opposing team's bonus now goes to the commander and player pool instead of just the commander pool.

-Building prices increased.

-Starting resources increased.

-Added bounties for opposing side when casualties occur.

-Added fuel trucks.

-Added ambulances.

-Added field hospitals.

-An independent salvager will now properly go to the nearest salvagable target.

-Increased mine loadout in ammo truck.

-Added costs to personal loadouts.

-Added 'ALL' to AI team selection on the command menu.

-Added Miners and LAW/RPG soldiers to east and west.

-Made AI commander build MG, Miner, and Medics troops for east and west.

-Made AI commander build a larger range of helicopters for both sides.

-Made AI commander chance of building units greater if there is an excess of resources.

-Salvager travel range increased.

I eliminated more bugs than I care to list, here are some of the major ones:

-Fixed AIs in vehicles sometimes not moving.

-Fixed starting on water on the Malden map.

-Fixed the salvager not working after a while.

have you found a way to get AI non-commanders to spend their personal funds? it seems strange when playing against just ai that there is only one persons income coming in, if there was some way to make it so that when they respawn they have a couple of minutes to buy equipment/soldiers then they are sent out to take towns/search and destroy etc, i have no idea if this is possible, but it would make the game much more exciting as you wouldnt have to wait for the commander to buy things, also ive noticed the M2 machine gun posts arent targetable, this is hell when you are flying a helicopter/plane over an enemy base and you cant target them because A: youre going to fast to click them and B: you have no idea where they are, but this is the best MP mission ive seen, great job!

the biggest thing holding this style of ofp back is the lack of (plz dont hassle me for sayin it) JIP, quiters and ppl droping from crashes and stuff etc really limit it and same for new ppl joining, other wise u could jus bump up the player limit and have it go all day.

yep ive noticed that, a game starting with maybe 5 a side normally ends up 5 vs 3 or once i saw 5 vs 1, but the new feature when it recognises when a person has disconnected and then makes them ai should help, as normally you have 4/5 people standing around when they could be used, especially bad in a game with AI turned off

Hi mfcti, I got something that really needs to be sorted for the way I like to play it (scavange the enemies equipment wink.gif) The thing is, I managed to swipe a Resistance BMP by throwing grenades at it till the crew jumped out, then getting a repair truck to it, my problem omes when I try to put some men in it to help me fight, I put Spetz Nats in the gunner and commander role while I drive. Anyway when they get in they just jump back out again saying "negative" that was really annoying.. I later found an M60 I could have nicked but there was no point as they wouldn't wanna get in it sad.gif any ideas?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (spencer @ Nov. 18 2002,05:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi mfcti, I got something that really needs to be sorted for the way I like to play it (scavange the enemies equipment wink.gif) The thing is, I managed to swipe a Resistance BMP by throwing grenades at it till the crew jumped out, then getting a repair truck to it, my problem omes when I try to put some men in it to help me fight, I put Spetz Nats in the gunner and commander role while I drive. Anyway when they get in they just jump back out again saying "negative" that was really annoying.. I later found an M60 I could have nicked but there was no point as they wouldn't wanna get in it sad.gif any ideas?<span id='postcolor'>

try getting in it yor self first and make sure theres no ded guys inside it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ Nov. 17 2002,21:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (spencer @ Nov. 18 2002,05:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi mfcti, I got something that really needs to be sorted for the way I like to play it (scavange the enemies equipment wink.gif) The thing is, I managed to swipe a Resistance BMP by throwing grenades at it till the crew jumped out, then getting a repair truck to it, my problem omes when I try to put some men in it to help me fight, I put Spetz Nats in the gunner and commander role while I drive. Anyway when they get in they just jump back out again saying "negative" that was really annoying.. I later found an M60 I could have nicked but there was no point as they wouldn't wanna get in it sad.gif any ideas?<span id='postcolor'>

try getting in it yor self first and make sure theres no ded guys inside it.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah I do, because I throw grenades at the BMP untill they all jump out as they think the BMP is now unuasable, and it was untill I got a repair truck to it, it was totaly empty and totaly repaired.