Sign in to follow this  
mfcti

Mf conquer the island

I just wanted to announce that the first beta of MF Conquer the Island has been released (v0.98B).  It turns OFP into a real-time strategy hybrid.  Here are some of the features:

Base construction and unit creation.

AI control for empty player slots.

An AI commander that builds a base.

Point & click menu system.

Spans an entire island.

Take over towns for income.

Marker system to track players on the same side.

A team satellite camera.

Multiplayer or single player practice via multiplayer.

It currently requires OFP:  Resistance to run.  I've sent off copies to most of the major sites (I think).  If anyone wants some screenshots or has any questions contact me at mfcti@yahoo.com

I absolutely love it. smile.gif I just played through on "single player", the AI seemed fairly weak and uninspired, but I'm sure it's a riot in multi. And aside from wishing I could place waypoints for each team directly onto the map (instead of entering four different numericals in seperate boxes for the coordinates), the game is very enjoyable.

MF Caopture The Island is a truly captivating play-form. Good work, mfcti.

The AI still needs a lot of balancing. That feature was added towards the end of development. So far they can either be too weak or too powerful. As far as point and click waypoints on the map are concerned, I would love to do it. I originally had a system for that in single player but the naming convention for multiplayer markers is different. I haven't been able to find any documentation on it. If anyone knows it I would like to hear from them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mfcti @ Oct. 21 2002,13:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As far as point and click waypoints on the map are concerned, I would love to do it. I originally had a system for that in single player but the naming convention for multiplayer markers is different. I haven't been able to find any documentation on it. If anyone knows it I would like to hear from them.<span id='postcolor'>

In this case just use the new onMapSingleClick-command, then you don't have to deal with markers!

Btw. very nice done (and good that there is any AI biggrin.gif )

greetings,

Vektorboson

Hi mfcti

Great work!

We have been working in related areas though we have aproached it from a different perspective that of the command interface; but I think we are all working toward the same goal a True Multiplayer FPS Strategy game. biggrin.gif Bounces up and down in excitement biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Kind Regards walker

I love it if been playing it all day true single player...hope they will include a single player only option so you can save it.

And i think there should be a few more vehicles avaible so you can let the AI also make repair and rearm unit

and perhaps somekind of medic who comes pick up the death body's of every side

probably a bad idea but just a thought =)

1 think i would like to see, is the ability to select all groups and move them to a waypoint.

So in the Alpha - foxtrot names, there should be an "all" as well.

Guest BratZ

I played the MF mission for a bit (the buildings exploded when placed?)

With the menu system, you have a start of a very good RTS mission,I have a RTS mission I used to work on and I can send you the scripts,maybe would help for ideas and etc...

I am more of a scripter but currently am playing around with models and I'd like to make some models if you are going to go anywheres with this.Of course one of the first things needed is the Mobile Base Deployer,we don't want to copy C&C and we should come up with something original.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BratZ @ Oct. 21 2002,22:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I played the MF mission for a bit (the buildings exploded when placed?)<span id='postcolor'>

Thats so the workers act like there building it.

I been playing for ages now, I still haven't won :\

It will be good if the AI can be made to fire on the enemy base, instead of just units.. Cos it seems to me, that nobody can win at the moment unless you play on MP of course.. Something I don't do sad.gif

Also when I got the option to have an A10, it was usless, cos I couldn't take off in it :/ The amount of Shilkas was mad too, Me and AI were always shot out of the sky before ever shooting the shilka sad.gif

I really like the mod though, just seems pointless if I can't win it sad.gif

All you need to do is go shilka hunting with a cobra. Bag a few then run away. Makes flying much easier

Perhaps when the AI captures a town they should fortify it...makes reconquer a town way more intresseting

You are right about the AI being unable to win the game. That is a feature I wish to add after I fix all the current bugs and balance things out a bit. Right now they won't attack base structures, just troops and vehicles. However, you can beat an AI and win. I have found if a lot of Shilkas are being created that M1A1s can be very effective.

As far as creating an MHQ model is concerned, it is something I have wanted to do from the beginning. However, the first non-beta release will require no addons to play. Once I get this out I want to also release the addons version I have been working on. It features different group's gun/vehicle addons. Adding a custom MHQ with this release would be great.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SantaC @ Oct. 21 2002,22:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1 think i would like to see, is the ability to select all groups and move them to a waypoint.

So in the Alpha - foxtrot names, there should be an "all" as well.<span id='postcolor'>

Definatley.

Another thing that would be good is the choice to play on more islands, my favorite original island is Malden, then Everon, then Kolgujev. Everyon is getting a little boring now, plus it is SO slow to drive on most of the time cos of all the steep hills. My second idea which I would love alot would be to rerelease it later on but with the use of only WWII units, I dunno... maybe just using the WWII Teams stuff purely for ease so you can get all the required stuff in one place :>

or if you could make it so that the random bases are always 5km or so away from each other, as its really not fun when you meet the other team straight away when you have no vehicles/income etc

Just a few requests:

- Different handgun loadouts

- 12.7 mm rifles biggrin.gif

- Ability to use Spec Ops model for players (extra camo is nice)

- Eventually code in winter islands.

Very sweet so far, but I REALLY love the manual. Could be a little better, but explains everything quite nicely

Success!  I just played for 3 hours and 52 minutes and won as the WEST :> I found thier base and concentrated all I could on it. I blew up 2 shilkas and the MHQ and the commander and a building with my law then got killed by a HE gun. Those HE sentry guns are a bitch to my tanks D:... So I found it better to grab the cheapest chopper the OH-58 then fire off all the rockets into the base destroying what I could, and finaly I went in with my LAW again, blew up a few more building the control center, and the officer died... biggrin.gif The AI never attack my base... those Russians fought up till the last second retaking towns etc, but in the whole game my side had the upper hand and almost all the towns for some reason O_o

By the way, do you have a site for this mod?

Heres an update on some of the issues/changes I've been working on lately:

-Minimum starting distance between sides has been increased.

-HE Stationary Guns build probability has been reduced.

-HE Stationary Guns cost has been increased.

-Helicopter build probability has been increased.

-Some East vehicle costs have been reduced to balance for their weakness (Such as the T80 vs M1A1).

-AI Commander now creates BlackOps/Spetz Natz units.

-Town incomes have been increased slightly. I'm trying to reduce the amount of time an average game lasts.

I want to start working on AI code to attack enemy buildings. I am also planning on creating the ability for the AI commander to order a group to scout for the enemy base. Once found, forces could be sent to attack it.

If another island is REALLY desired I could add an extra one to the next beta release. Otherwise I plan to finish the beta first. I have about 5 islands that I want to release the mod on when I've fixed all the bugs. Another possible scenario would be an additional version of the mod geared more towards SP and Co-op than MP Team vs Team. Perhaps an island in which you play a small resistance force that starts off raiding for resources and eventually builds a base and coordinates open assaults.

Sorry but I don't have a site for the mod. I'm afraid I just can't find any more free time with everything else going on...:(

one really annoyig thing just happened to me in a mission, i saved up for a T-80 and finally could afford one, jumped in with my crew, turned on the spot and tapped the heavy vehicles building....then the t-80 flipped...and i mean totally, leaving me sat upside down in a shiny new t-80 that id wasted 4000 on, i was not a happy bunny....is this a mod problem or ofp? ive never encountered that with normal buildings before