Sign in to follow this  
brgnorway

The Iraq Thread

Wow! This thread is still here?

I figured it would have been locked when it went way off topic. How are the chicken dance and the war in Iraq related?

Not like I'm trying to spoil anyone's fun.........

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ 20 May 2003,17:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ 20 May 2003,23:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Chicken Dance Midi

Chicken Polka Midi

My guess it's the Chicken Dance tune Denoir got stuck in his head.<span id='postcolor'>

Nope, none of the above.<span id='postcolor'>

Screw your polka military training, Canadians were all exposed to specialized torture tactics on the radio by their own government; playing Alanis Morisette OVER, and OVER, and OVER again. For years. tounge.gif She complained and whined so much it softened every Canadian to saying "how are you" "great" every time they see each other. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Or somehting weird like that.

EDIT: Exactly Tovarish...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ 21 May 2003,06:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Screw your polka military training, Canadians were all exposed to specialized torture tactics on the radio by their own government; playing Alanis Morisette OVER, and OVER, and OVER again. For years.  tounge.gif  <span id='postcolor'>

I love our Canadian Content Laws biggrin.gif. tounge.gif  mad.gif

(don't get me wrong, we have some decent stuff, Matthew Good Band, Our Lady Peace, The Arrogant Worms....but seriously how many radio stations play The Arrogant Worms? biggrin.gif )

*edit* Which reminds me, they have a song titled "Celine Dion" tounge.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ 21 May 2003,21:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Inhuman torture practise with Iraqi POWs!

US Army in Iraq tortures with Metallica biggrin.giftounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It is torture to have this news item repeated on this thread again. Yesterday's thread conversation. tounge.gifwink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ 21 May 2003,20:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Inhuman torture practise with Iraqi POWs!

US Army in Iraq tortures with Metallica biggrin.giftounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif I'd like to be there for a bit just to mess with the interrogators

"Hey man, this stuff is pretty cool, but do you have some Anthrax?"

"Are you admitting that Iraq has Anthrax?"

"No man, I just wanna hear some music by Anthrax"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Lieutenant Colonel Tim Collins, who won wide praise for a rousing speech to his troops on the eve of the fighting, spoke out after it emerged he is being investigated by the Ministry of Defence..............

<span id='postcolor'>

rest of article Here

tbh if there investigate this and prosecute him they should prosecute every US pilots and Soldier for all the FF incidents and lock them up if found neglegent.

"Friendly Fire" is very regrettable, but there is a big difference between intentional acts and mistakes, even if they are negligent.

Anyway, I read the text of Col. Collins' speech shortly after he delivered it, and was very impressed by what he said. I would be very disappointed if it turns out that he violated the level of conduct that he demanded of the men serving under him.

I find this incredulous that he should be hauled up for a breach of discipline (although it has been reported that he is being investigated for war crimes! a slight difference! ) I do find very interesting the source of this complaint   </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It is understood the complaints against Lieutenant Colonel Collins were made by an American military officer<span id='postcolor'>(From the BBC)

This case will prove to be very contentious. Firstly the American might have a lower threshold for what he thinks is proper conduct as compared to the British Army. I think that Lt Col Collins conduct should be examined in the context of the situation, considering that the Ba'ath party put a bounty on his mens' heads you could understand him being keen to show his prisonners that he wasnt going to take any shit!

BTW please don't turn this into an America bashing thread about US pilots incompetence, try to concentrate on the issue here, that Brits are not allowed to have an untarnished role model, he was bound to get burned sooner or later. confused.gif

Im not trying to, im just saying when american Pilots are trainined to identify Friendly units they are not trained to identify other countries units >:|, anyway about the officer, some retired military officer thinks this is a case of others get jelous, which when seeing how his men identify with and his no bs attitude i can see why.

Ill wait until the investigation is complete but personally i doubt he did much wrong (this is based on what everyone around him seems to be saying).

As to the American officer having different standards as to whats acceptable, the US guys at those checkpoints some months back seemed to have some pretty robust rules when it came to shooting approaching vehicles and to my knowledge no US officers launched complaints then. Thats not meant to be a flame by the way, i just think that the US military generally know that 'war is war' (maybe im wrong) .

Having said that maybe the British and Americans do have different tactics when it comes to prisoner treatment (does ANYONE stick to the spirit of the Geneva convention?)

Probably for the best in the present circumstances. Letting opposition to the war after it has already been waged interfere in post war aid or reconstruction is in my opinion only justified when it can actually achieve or accomplish something and im not quite clear what F. ,G. or R. could accomplish now  rock.gif

smile.gif

Having said that im sure money is an important factor wow.gif

Defense Officials: Gen. Franks to Retire

By PAULINE JELINEK, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Army Gen. Tommy Franks, who planned and commanded the American-led wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, has decided to retire, defense officials said Thursday.

Franks won high praise from President Bush and Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld for his handling of the operation to oust Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.

The 57-year-old native of Midland,Texas, comes to the end of his three-year term as head of the military's 25-nation U.S. Central Command in July, but it was not immediately clear when he would leave. No replacement has been nominated.

Officials at Central Command in Tampa, Fla, said they had no official statement.

Franks had been considered a leading candidate for the top Army job of chief of staff, which opens in June. But associates doubted he would want the position and Franks said recently that the job title sounded "very interesting" but "not on my scope."

Franks is credited with developing a war plan that efficiently defeated the Iraqis with fewer U.S. casualties than many had expected. He also ran the 2001 war against Afghanistan that toppled the Taliban regime and ended Afghanistan's role as a haven for the al-Qaida terrorist network.

It's not clear who will succeed Franks as Central Command commander, but one likely candidate is Army Lt. Gen. John Abizaid, who was Franks' top deputy at Camp As Sayliyah during the war.

-=Die Alive=-

$33ker @ 21 May 2003,21:17)]Inhuman torture practise with Iraqi POWs!

US Army in Iraq tortures with Metallica biggrin.giftounge.gif

It is torture to have this news item repeated on this thread again. Yesterday's thread conversation. tounge.gif  ;)

ooops. sad.gif

i should have read the previous page before posting. found it on another website and thought it would be relevant to this thread... wink.gif

I think that Lt Col Collins actions should be examined with respect to the 'relative' tranquility of Basra and the south east as compared to Baghdad. Clearly his tactics if possibly a little heavy handed at first have had the desire effect unlike the Americans ineffective 'peace keeping'. I think he kept to the spirit of the Geneva Convention but he might not have followed it to the letter, methinks it wasn't his bedtime read! This could be a case of jealousy especially as the British paras are going into Baghdad, a decision no dout influence by this kind of incident;

Quote[/b] ]An Iraqi singer whose fervently pro-Saddam Hussein songs made him a well-known face on Iraqi television has been killed, his family says.

Daoud al-Qaissi, a Baath party member, was shot by gunmen outside his home in central Baghdad, his brother told Reuters news agency.

Videos of his songs were played constantly on Iraqi state television even as the coalition-led bombing campaign intensified over the Iraqi capital.

it goes on to say

Quote[/b] ]His family said his murder was indicative of the growing lawlessness in the city following the ousting of Saddam Hussein, and the Guardian reported that the incident had taken place only two miles away from an American patrol.
From the BBC

the US seem reluctant to get down and dirty, preferring to stay in their Bradleys although being peppered with RPG-7 rounds I would do too!

cough***

Quote[/b] ]The US Government is studying pre-war intelligence reports on Iraq to see if it may have misjudged Baghdad's weapons programme and links to terror groups, the New York Times says.

The paper quoted US officials as saying Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) director George Tenet had appointed a team to pore over hundreds of intelligence reports filed by the CIA and other agencies before the conflict began.

A senior intelligence official told the newspaper that the review had been requested by US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

tick, tock, tick, tock.........and so the clock counts the hours until we find the smoking gun, even an empty shell case would do!  tounge_o.gif

goes on to say
Quote[/b] ]His family said his murder was indicative of the growing lawlessness in the city following the ousting of Saddam Hussein, and the Guardian reported that the incident had taken place only two miles away from an American patrol.

Do you personally know what happens two miles away from where you are, and would you want to be held responsible for it?

I agree Mister Frag, i think its a slightly silly example but nonetheless the point may be valid. The US military is not after all known for its boundless enthusiasm for (or great proficiency at) peacekeeping.

Major Gripe- "especially as the British paras are going into Baghdad, a decision..."

Interesting. I hadnt heard about this, or are we talking just about advisers? If we're talking foot patrols and the whole shebang then that is interesting. Do you have a link?

From the completely unbiased Daily Mirror!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news....20YANKS

BTW Mister Frag I think i pointed out that it was a representative case, the man was expressing his opinion couched in realistic terms (it creates more impact and a sense of immediacy to say the soldiers were 2 miles away than to say they were 'around') that the US are in Baghdad and unable (or unwilling??) to prevent this kind of mindless violence.

From the completely unbiased Daily Mirror!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news....20YANKS

BTW Mister Frag I think i pointed out that it was a representative case, the man was expressing his opinion couched in realistic terms (it creates more impact and a sense of immediacy to say the soldiers were 2 miles away than to say they were 'around') that the US are in Baghdad and unable (or unwilling??) to prevent this kind of mindless violence.

Please stay on topic, that story you are linking to has little to no relevance to the story of Lt Col Collins.

It's not the question of Iraq, It's the question the USA. They are so fat (about 70% of them) that they can't provide themselfs with enough food and all the other luxuries that an American fat ass requires for a happy life in their fantasy world. So since hard work is not an options they are using million times tested method - robing (oil in Iraq case).

So until the US people are not prepared to share the stolen wealth with the rest of the globe there shall not be peace.

This my seem cruel but the sad thing about it is that is mos likely true.

Quote[/b] ]§2)No bigotry

Racists, sexists, homophobes or any other type of bigots are not welcome to these forums

Consider your posting rights removed.