Sign in to follow this  
traderjay

So....my 4 year old son is now hooked on Arma 3 @_@ and love watching me play....

I am in a kind of a dilemma here...I was exploring the new Tanoa island in editor on a blackhawk when my son came into the room. He got captivated by the lush landscape and stood there watching. I figured since its an empty island there is not much harm having him side beside me and watch. Soon he figured out how to control the plane, vehicles and characters and wanted to try things out himself. 

Now he wants to watch me play arma 3 for at least 30 minutes a day...even when I am playing online... I figured the game is not overly gory and there are lots of things I can teach him so maybe should I just let him watch and learn? 

• Like 2

you can build fun driving or flying courses with him in eden editor with civilian assets, or jets without ammo. I would not let a 4 year old kid watch soldiers shooting each other, even if its without blood. Thats just way too early.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ProfTournesol said:

My cat too.

but cats are stone cold killers anyway, they already know everything you do ingame and laugh at your puny attempts to master what they have practices for years

• Like 4

My 6 y/o niece is the same. So if ever she pops in while I'm playing I only ever let her see civvies. I even had her make her own civilian divers mod in order to scuba without having a weapon :P 

I set up a target range for my then 5 and 7 years old boys (7 and 9 now) that involved firing at drop targets from a helicopter and then a drive to an urban assault range because they enjoyed watching me play. I also set up an exile server for them with custom missions like transporting people, fixing broken down vehicles, and things like that. Now, they overload my CPU with massive battes and wonder why i keep telling them NOT TO BURN MY PCs TO THE GROUND. 

My parents bought me Duke Nukem 3D back when i was about 10, and I'd consider that, especially for its time, a little higher on the "grownup-game" list than ArmA (that game taught me a few things :smileee:). Annnnnd I'm pretty sure i turned out ok, i think......

You can play this with your kids. :icon5:

https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/195159-sp-old-macdonalds-farm-adventure/

Edit: That if you decide to let them watch you playing or to introduce Arma to them. I myself have a 1,5 y old son and will be in the same situation in some years. Still didn't decide how to handle it...

• Like 2

Thanks all for the replies! I will try to minimize him watching me playing co-op. Fortunately, most of the time I use thermal IR scope so everything just glows white. I tell my son they are snowmans that I am trying to melt! I started playing Arma since Operation Flashpoint and never looked back! 

• Like 2

Teach the little fella the drama and romance of human flight...

I'd avoid the politically sanctioned murder until at least five.

• Like 4

On 1/6/2018 at 1:56 PM, Undeceived said:

You can play this with your kids. :icon5:

https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/195159-sp-old-macdonalds-farm-adventure/

Edit: That if you decide to let them watch you playing or to introduce Arma to them. I myself have a 1,5 y old son and will be in the same situation in some years. Still didn't decide how to handle it...

Both my 8 and 6 year old sons loved this mission.

Hands down best mission ever for kids.

I'd be interested if anyone knows of other "alternative" missions, e.g. fire-fighting

My sons into milsims too..

Mind you, he's 37 this year..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I was 3 when I was first introduced to violent games, nothing wrong with me.

Just be happy that your son has found a hobby, you should support it, maybe even give him his own computer one day ;)

Introduce him to Take on Helicopters. :) The nice thing about ArmA is that it can handle civilian gameplay as well as military. You can make a mission which is all about driving a bus or truck around Tanoa, or an entire campaign about flying civilian helicopters, TOH style. Tanoa in particular lends itself to it, because it's just that beautiful. Malden, too, if you like driving.

On 2/25/2018 at 2:50 PM, dragon01 said:

Introduce him to Take on Helicopters. :) The nice thing about ArmA is that it can handle civilian gameplay as well as military. You can make a mission which is all about driving a bus or truck around Tanoa, or an entire campaign about flying civilian helicopters, TOH style. Tanoa in particular lends itself to it, because it's just that beautiful. Malden, too, if you like driving.

I'm guilty of this myself. When I'm tired I just pop A3 and add a civ car and drive around aimlessly around Tanoa or other maps. Sometimes I alternate with Caesar flying or I add an unarmed Y-32 Xi'an (I like it more than Blackfish) and pretend I'm a pilot.

Heh A3-Driving (and sometimes flying) Simulator.