prototype1479

I demand a new version of OFP (On 18th anniversary of OFP at least)

I bet I'm not the only one here, thousands of players want it.

MP fix , multi-core fix, new commands (Especially the ones at VBS) I wish they should have done these on version 1.99.

Heck BIS has got VBS's commands locked commands inside OFP and if they were unlocked there would have been more room for modifying OFP and we would be surpassing 1.96's limits.

I'm working on a script for vanilla where I need to check an area but of course I can't all I need is to spawn a god damn trigger only with scripts (It has to work dynamically).

And if there weren't these limits we would have made more creative stuff and kept OFP alive and it's dying.

If they do release a new version it would get a lot of attention just like it did on 1.99 release.

I know there is like 0.00001% chance of them acknowledging this heck even reading this in the first place.

But what other chances do we got to get it back?

It's sad truth but OFP is almost dead.

I suspect you already know that making demands  is not going to work. :smile_o:

OFP/CWA has lasted a lot longer than most games do. And technically it's not "dead". It's code. It's just not as popular as it once was. Which is par for the course with any past-time. As much as I love tinkering with it, I wouldn't expect a company to drop what ever else they're doing to tweak an already niche game, for a small audience.

• Like 1

Yeah I do but the thing is that seeing the commands locked in OFP that we all need just pisses me off.

You're also right that its technically not dead but, seeing the OFPR site going down and some other mods being discontinued (like CWE and BINMOD) makes it seems so.

Community is trying its best tho!

4 hours ago, prototype1479 said:

MP fix , multi-core fix, new commands (Especially the ones at VBS)

Your prayers have been answered! Several times, actually...

3 hours ago, Macser said:

making demands  is not going to work

It only depends on your diplomatic skills!

Yeah, I know, I'm cheeky bastard. But these threads (especially worded like that) make no sense. BIS is a company, working for money, and there's investing in such an old (and niche!) game gives not enough return. In fact, as I've noted, sequels bring the exact features you're asking for (note that there's no easy/cheap way to bring this stuff to CWA), and from BIS point of view, these newer games are the answer.

Your best hope for modern Cold War-era game lies in the community. Go @slatts, go!

• Like 2

Well most people doesn't even have the specs to run ArmA.

And I also heard that the ArmA CWA Linux version they released last year had the multi core patch but I'm not sure it might have been like that previously so fix wasn't needed maybe.

Even fixing that is hard at least they should have unlocked those commands in v1.99 it's really bothersome.

If we, the community that remains, want to see improvements then it will probably have to be a BIS endorsed initiative. An initiative similar to the patching of Arma 2 which is spearheaded by the community there with the sanction and support of BIS. Whether this would include the introduction of additional commands I am not sure. But it would be nice to see improvements like widescreen compatibility, xbox controls from Elite and the squashing of old bugs like the hand grenades in the civilian PV3S become official.

• Like 1

It's obvious the newer titles need a beefier system to operate well. So I think there's nothing wrong, in principle, with having an option like OFP/CWA still on the table. I'm not a dyed in the wool gamer. Not anymore at least. I used to regularly upgrade my hardware so I could keep up with the latest games. But not these days. Most of what I do is modding for my own enjoyment. And OFP/CWA is simply less frustrating to work with. And of course it's also fairly light on system resources.

And it's because of OFP that I bought into the series, with the exception of A3. Were it not for that, my money would've went elsewhere. I've experimented with them, but they aren't anywhere near as easy to manage for an enthusiast. It's nice to have the original title to fall back on. And it still keeps me connected to the Arma series, even if it's in a peripheral sense. I'm not taking anything away from people who prefer the new titles. And in some cases I've managed to assist some of them with their own projects. OFP still being around might keep some folks interested enough, that if they do upgrade, they may shell out for the latest game. In fact I've seen that happen.

I don't expect the company to devote time to it though. Other than acknowledging it's existence. If they were to add a few extra bits n pieces it would be appreciated. But they want to push people towards buying the newer titles to keep the economic ball rolling. Releasing source code, assuming that's what you mean,  might not be a good idea from their point of view. Especially if the series is based off RV1. Perhaps if they move onto a fundamentally different engine,  that might be viable. But who knows when that would be?

• Like 2

On 6.01.2018 at 11:45 AM, prototype1479 said:

Well most people doesn't even have the specs to run ArmA.

You don't know that. You're speaking about your experience, and maybe experience of your friends, but still you're only a small fraction of "general Arma community". The fact that BIS released two sequels to ArmA (and three sequels to OFP), each having set the technological bar higher, and these sequels are profitable is already telling that you're wrong. Otherwise BIS would be bankrupt long time ago. Not to mention other game companies (I don't see them having any problems to sell modern AAA games).

You see - I love OFP for what it is, and it being a 17 year old game, it is expected for it to have flaws. People are probably a little bit spoiled by some companies buying out/resurrecting old titles and re-releasing them after "HD" treatment. But then compare the price of these games to the price of A:CWA. Also note the fact that CWA is still available for sale, doesn't make customers (us) entitled to get any updates on such an old software. It's only a sign of BIS good will - afterall they could do nothing, and leave OFP an abandonware it was for a few years.

What you also seem to not notice is that BIS is not really good at... actively supporting their products. :wink_o: Look at Arma 3 example - their flagship product. The game still have lots of problems, and it is currently clear that most of these problems will be unsolved when BI will stop supporting Arma 3 with updates (which will happen soon). It's not the first time they've done that - look at all their previous games like ArmA 1 and 2. So you think anybody from BIS will be concerned by your "demands", and dust off the code of 17 year old game? Hell, look at the quality difference between OFP:CWC and OFP:Res content - Resistance models (civilians, guns, vehicles) look so good in comparison to old stuff, that they stand out of place. BIS never bothered to rectify these issues, instead they were focused on developing (failed) sequels to OFP like Independence Lost and OFP2 (both required a huge amount of work in 2D/3D art department, so why similiar effort wasn't given to already existing product?). It seems that "leaving bugs all around" is something which runs deep in their blood.

As Macser noted here and elsewhere - OFP is a great place for modders to experiment with, and it doesn't require as much of a focus on eye-candy like newer titles. Still, new Armas provide for modding tools (like new scripting commands) which are beyond OFP abilities, and that's what piques my interest in these newer titles. I'm not opposed to these new games like some "hard-liners", and I don't dream about new features trickling down to old games. It never happend before, and it's simply a price of progress - you either can live within boundaries of the old game, or you have to move. For me, OFP is still enough, and way more, for my modding skills (even if features of newer titles get my attention). I'd be grateful to see any meaningful update for this old game, but I'm not holding my breath. Publicly demanding changes is nonsense, is rude, and won't get you anywhere. If you are bothered by lack of creative freedom in vanilla A:CWA, you can use community solutions (FWatch comes to mind), or upgrade to newer game. That's the reality.

Also, I can't agree on this point of yours:

On 5.01.2018 at 8:35 PM, prototype1479 said:

It's sad truth but OFP is almost dead.

Again, that's just, like, your opinion, man. 17 years after OFP premiere there are several active web communities focused on this very game. That's hardly dead. I mean - if OFP is dead, then what to say about similiar games from the era ("realistic" war FPSes) like Medal of Honor: Allied Assault or Battlefield 1942? These games were way bigger hits than OFP, and what's left from them now? OFP (and all the Armas too) was always a niche kind of game, and such games can have a longer lifetime than typical ones. OFP is a proof of that.

• Like 2

Well I actually meant some people not most people doesn't has the specs to run some of the ArmA games :D

And I told everyone that the MAIN reason I made this post is because some limitations pissed me off and also I just wanted to talk with people who still plays OFP

I never relied on this post getting noticed by BIS because that just seems stupid (I even said the chances were like 0.00001%)

And yeah my quote might just seem like an opinion and I understand why it does but a lot of things about OFP died and I'm not seeing any resurrection or new big things coming up (Like OFPR.info and some big mods like binmod, CWE etc.)

Ok sorry for double posting but actually I changed my mind OFP isn't almost dead (or completely dead)

Sorry.

If you want to chat about the game, then why not start a thread in the club section? It's not exactly a hive of activity. But I'm up for having a conversation. Especially if it's related to modding. :smile_o:

• Like 2

This might sound stupid but I got my own secrets :D

And also I recently found the club so it wasn't before I started posting this.

Most people do.

But the main reason we're here is to discuss the games with other people. Or learn something new. There's more people out there still playing and modding OFP than you probably think. As often happens ,they've splintered into smaller communities, which don't always interact. And many of them don't visit this site on a regular basis.

Looking at multiplayer servers or the lack of therein, doesn't give a full picture either. That just tells you how many are playing it online actively. At this point that's a very small number. Not everyone favours the multiplayer experience though. And they likely aren't factored into that. I'm one of those people. I'd have no problem playing a session if the opportunity arises. But I'm happy tinkering with the engine for the most part.

So. At least with the club you've got a place where you don't have to explain why you're still interested in such an old title. Unless you feel like it. The OFP club could use a few discussions anyway. It's not easy to get a bunch of die-hards chatting. :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I demand the power of the dark souls to be brought unto me!

On second thought, they make people insane, so maybe that's not the best idea...

I get the frustration with some of the limitations. I have my own set of very specific things I'd like the engine to do - like pilot-operated turrets for fixed wing aircraft, something even Arma 3 doesn't do since I last checked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marc13Bautista said:

because that's me at the comments XD

I would also like way to detect what the current weapon of the unit is holding without AnimChanged , current waypoint of a group or even how to detect if resistance is friendly with which side

And something like nearobjects which is 10x better than nearestobject in OFP (you can set different positions for nearestobject to work like nearobjects but it would not be as effective like nearobjects)

Also check this new epic teaser trailer : 

3 hours ago, prototype1479 said:

I would also like way to detect what the current weapon of the unit is holding without AnimChanged

primaryWeapon can help out a bit there, but it only detects primary weapons.

• Like 1

Not in that way like if the unit is holding M16 right now or a launcher

My best way of doing that is just using the "(unitname) ammo secondaryweapon (unitname)" because no AI would use LAW or RPG while they have no ammo for it but it still has its holes

On 02/03/2018 at 11:57 PM, hitman1987 said:

Check out this topic. It's unofficial, but can be interesting to you.

Not sure that i like unofficial stuff, it's ususally full of content used without authors' consent.

• Like 1

Indeed: yet another mod, but with some new capabilities. I am not using it, i can't understand .sqs/.sqf much so no need of these capabilities.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2018 at 5:46 PM, ProfTournesol said:

Not sure that i like unofficial stuff, it's ususally full of content used without authors' consent.

That's true that's one of the problems of OFP community someone almost stole my work when it was in its early stage lol

What exactly was stolen? 

Every single one of us has his own pack, usually with some armour/hit values tweaks and so on. And maybe it is the main OFP problem that everyone has own modpack which is incompatible with other's ones. The config values of gammage system is allways a tradeoff betwen realism and game engine's capabilities. So we need to cooperate and share, discuss, and maybe set some exact standarts. The default ones mostly are imbalanced, many options was cut out.

• Like 1

Now those guys with "2.0" tests it with any mod to show it's benefits. LOMDE saves without "out of memory", they continue with other mods and promises that next version will work with WinXP (now Win7 is the minimum)

• Like 1