Well i did it. Finally. 

V1.0 Release of Tembelan Island.

Island height data was taken from an Indonesian island of the same name, but was only a starting point and since then has gone under fairly heavy modification. Adding rivers and urban areas where there are none in it's real life counterpart. This map was developed with the primary focus of Co-op gameplay, though i am sure Life/Day Z players could if they really wanted to find ways to use it.

Should also be noted that this map was started before the Apex expansion was even announced, and throughout the development process i was asked if i would change from vanilla to apex assets. At that point i was too far into object placement of this map to justify starting from scratch with Tanoa objects. Now the question of will there ever be a "Apex Tembelan", all i can say for sure is not anytime soon. 

Technical Specs

Terrain Size: 10.24 KM X 10.24 KM
Approximate Landmass Area: 35.85 KM2
Grid Size: 2048 x 2048
Cell Size: 5

Currently Available on Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1252091296

Image album that was in the development thread: https://imgur.com/a/sFT62  please note that most of these screenshots were taken during development. I'm sure helpful users can post screenshots of the finished terrain below.

Known Bugs:

Resort Airfield Config - I don't know why the AI don't like it so i can't even begin to try and fix it.

No ALiVE Indexing yet.

Current Latest Version 1.2 - 25/03/2018

Legal Stuff:

THIS ADDON IS RELEASED UNDER A CREATIVE COMMONS CC-AT-NC-ND 3.0 UNPORTED LICENSE.

YOU MAY NOT USE THIS ON MONETIZED SERVERS!

Please do not reupload to the steam workshop.

Credit to Dmitry Yuri and StRiKeR for assistance during development. The Zeus Community for testing during development. ArmA 3 Terrain makers Skype/Discord group for many useful lessons taught.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Great! I'll test it out in a few mins. Thank you.

(later on)

I did some driving and flying around, very impressed with the level of detail on this map. Lots of "little things" on the map, great for immersion. Looks authentic, good work!

Congrats!!...a new year, a new playground.  

• Like 1

Hey! Thanks for the island!

The map features a lot of coastline and some nice waterways. I would consider it one of the defining features of the terrain. There are a lot of nice features on the coast itself but this does not extend out to the sea. There are no wrecks, shoals or rock formations out at the sea. Also the seabed and waterways are rather flat and shallow overall.  For example Bawah Naval base has a depth of around 1-0.5 meters. So it is only usable by very small boats. Divers or SDVs cannot operate there and this limits the gameplay possibilities of such a nice location.

30427A964149E61721288EF9679FBAA68DBBB43E

The island also has a nice feel to it. It feels that the island is another place raped by man. For example the Tepi Pantai resort seems like a place that someone would have decided to be built just on that spot regardless of anyone or anything. There are some farming steads that look especially nice. I wish there were more of them. Maybe convert some of the older villages with some empty spaces around them to have some plantations?

688E36C6D03496B97E370ECD1A395A3286FAF93D

The island has many places that feel like they dont have a purpose or they feel artificial because they lack some simple things. For example there are many villages with no obvious routes in or out. When there is not even a simple trail leading to houses I start to question how they were built and what people did there. This can also extend to parts of towns that are off the major roads. They dont appear to be lived in.

4D39B7D325996EFD705583AAC7EC2FAF3A36129F

0B75A2850BBD286BA5C15B6390A310CD46749688

8F09C5080D82BBDC1F8F71E9F2444C9D0D10A044

6FDBAB18F041F02BAC438061DDA973A305AEF5DD

Even a small discoloring around the houses make them seem they were lived in and that they were built there instead of being airdropped on location.

A99B62787FF382B20B2B131A165058451B7FA30F

The feeling of purpose can also be enhanced by thinking about the intended use of the location. For example a guard is going to take a chainsaw and cut any trees that are preventing him from doing his jobs and change the terrain to suit his task. Same goes for infrastructure. What does it serve? Where is the power from a solar power plant going to?

67CEE28E0EE49D4F50308D69AE24BC4A599A5F03

F34AEA6C2C2527DCC9BC3B55CA4A2A6F93103398

Thanks for the terrain!

• Like 4

@bumgie Thank you for the in depth response, i actually agree with majority of what you posted. In regards to the under ocean you are correct that there is nothing there to speak of, this did come up during development, though at the time nothing became of it. I may remedy this in the future.

In regards to objects that have a lack of blending of ground details, there are two points here. 1. I am limited by what the engine can do, where it might make sense to have some dirt or soil blending in with another surface, it might not be viable because the tile that it is composed of is full of other surfaces that might be in an area a few hundred meters away. This is a balance i have to strike between the resolution of the tiles and the overall filesize. 2. New surface tools became available to the community fairly late into the development of this map and there is a visible discrepancy between the mask quality of areas particularly between the east and western halves of the island. This may be something that is touched up in the future.

Finally, with the comment about things not being believable or making sense, I.E there being farms/villages with no paths leading to them, i am aware of this. However towards the end of this project i became very fatigued with it. Understand that i have been developing this 65-70% by myself with varying levels of commitment for 3 years. The last two months alone were spent redoing the resort, it took so long not because of it being particularly difficult, but because motivation and energy was really lacking. I got very fed up with the island towards the end to be honest. It's not something i am particularly proud of, but it happens. So many of the smaller things, arguably the more important things got overlooked. Thankfully i do not think there was anything missed that makes the terrain unplayable, and i am confident that i will revist this terrain in the future and give it some of the TLC it needs here and there. But for now i am getting stuck into other things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It looked to me like there was a lot of attention to detail, the gated fence around a mining area, the airbase layout, etc. I mainly explored the eastern island, and it looked like a lot of thought was put into the placement of objects.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, -ben- said:

... I got very fed up with the island towards the end to be honest. It's not something i am particularly proud of, but it happens. So many of the smaller things, arguably the more important things got overlooked. Thankfully i do not think there was anything missed that makes the terrain unplayable...

The terrain is very much playable and enjoyable and I applaud your effort in releasing it.  Thank you.

This map is great, but it will not work with Alive. I setup a simple mission with the modules, then I try it from the EDEN editor in MP and I get an infinite loading screen. Other maps like Fallujah work perfectly. This map needs an Alive index to work perfectly.

Really nice map, the lighting is good, there's a ton of detail, and varied locations for some great missions to be made. It's awesome that you've added small roads through the wooded areas, and the airfields and bases look great.

I just have one small request. Could you please smooth out the roads. There's a number of areas where the road suddenly has to take a steep and sharp incline/decline. I know it's probably a real pain in the ass to do, but I think it's the only thing that spoils an otherwise outstanding map.

thanks again for all the work you've put into it.

Hi ben, I really like your map, it's beautiful and well-made. My units really excited to include your map on my server for milsim. However most of cities' name are weird, it looks like you took the original names and translate it using Google as it is. Would really appreciate it if you can make the cities and places name more properly in next update. If you have some trouble translating Bahasa to English I'm willing to give some help :).

I love the map.  My group loves the map.  I have a few changes to the airbase though I'd like to make for our use but have absolutely no reflection on how you have done things.  I have been trying to replicate the same road texture you have for the taxiways at the air base but I do not seem to have them in my eden resources.  Could you possibly point me to where I can obtain them.  I want to make these changes for our use and have no intention of misrepresenting your wonderful work.  I just don't want to throw something in to make due, I want to preserve the consistency.

Thanks,

Hoffy

Administrative Commander

9th Marine Special Expeditionary Battalion

https://9thseb.creativevisionmedia.net

@Col. Hoffy By default Roads are not exposed to the Eden editor. There are mods such as CUP Terrains that add objects such as roads, trees, bushes and rocks to the Eden editor to be placed by mission makers.

@narrundo I do realize that to people who'm actually speak the language the place names will be weird. 90% of the place names are made up, and were created towards the end of development. Whilst we were making things many areas had unofficial names, things we called places so we knew what we were talking about, "Fish Town, "Fish Village" that sort of thing, so in the end i just took these nicknames we were using for the places and put them into google and put down the result. This is probably why they don't actually make sense, as most of them are phrases not actual names.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 12:38 AM, jakeplissken said:

This map is great, but it will not work with Alive. I setup a simple mission with the modules, then I try it from the EDEN editor in MP and I get an infinite loading screen. Other maps like Fallujah work perfectly. This map needs an Alive index to work perfectly.

you can make the index yourself and upload it to the alive devs: http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Map_Indexing

Also, great work @-ben-, the map is looking nice!

Hey @-ben-, amazing job on this map of yours! I am apart of a group called OFPS and I've adapted your map for use with the CTI gamemode, however there appears to be an issue with it and the Arma 3 launcher, as it will not automatically download when run off the server. There seems to be an issue with this addons setup, according to my associates who manage the server. They say it may be your server key not associating properly with the map download. We'd love it if you fixed this as we want to include your map in our rotation on the server, but we cannot if it will not auto download for the player. Also if any changes are made the mod it won't auto update. My associate left a message describing the same issue on the Workshop page for it and he also said he'd love to work with you to troubleshoot the problem as he is apart of the OFPS dev team.

8 hours ago, Tookatee said:

Hey @-ben-, amazing job on this map of yours! I am apart of a group called OFPS and I've adapted your map for use with the CTI gamemode, however there appears to be an issue with it and the Arma 3 launcher, as it will not automatically download when run off the server. There seems to be an issue with this addons setup, according to my associates who manage the server. They say it may be your server key not associating properly with the map download. We'd love it if you fixed this as we want to include your map in our rotation on the server, but we cannot if it will not auto download for the player. Also if any changes are made the mod it won't auto update. My associate left a message describing the same issue on the Workshop page for it and he also said he'd love to work with you to troubleshoot the problem as he is apart of the OFPS dev team.

I will look into this. Probs have a patch to fix a few things next week. 

• Thanks 1

Great map! 
although I must say that I found the airfield a bit bumpy for bigger aircraft such as the C-130, otherwise for smaller aircraft it works. 

But that's really the only bug I found when trying it out, I think you've made a awsome job creating this Island for the arma community to use.

V1.1 30/01/2018

- Tweaked Satmap
- Removed some duplicate Objects
- Fixed broken rock formation at Lalat
- Added Meta.cpp

- Initial population of underwater features

• Like 3

This is an amazing terrain. Absolutely top quality.