p-hienz

AI pathing troubles, again

Trying to get a formation of B17s to fly in a straight line at cloud level. to use as the maypole for a dog-fight. That's all I want to do. as you can imagine it has been unnecessarily difficult.

Surprisingly altitude isn't the problem. I've found init scripts that effectively specify altitude, and the map isn't mountainous, so adjusting to ground isn't a problem.

But every time, without fail, no matter how many AI features I disable, no matter what script, or way-point, or lack of way-point, or combat mode, or lack of combat mode, not even setting them to careless, will keep them from rolling into a massive quagmire. Spacing doesn't seem to make a difference, as they keep drifting into each other's flight lines, no matter how far apart  place the formation, and once they start to drift too close, all hell breaks loose.

B17s aren't very maneuverable, and ARMA AI think every plane is an F35.

The formation consists of 3 squads, each in line formation, as that is the only formation the planes will follow at this size. The 3 lines are staggered 3 plane lengths apart in all directions. So long as they stay near their path, they should be nowhere near the other planes.

But like I said, nothing can persuade these AI from turning into a skytrain, and then inevitably splintering apart when one of the planes jumps suddenly out of line, or worse, the formation leader bangs a hard right because he saw a 109 3 miles away.

IDK how to get the 109s and Mustangs to follow the formation, I havn't even gotten that far, as getting the B17s to keep to their flight path is a prerequisite.

If this is for eye candy, then you can have the "lead plane" fly, and attach all the other planes to the lead plane at whatever the relative positions you desire.  That will look good while lead plane flies straight, but will get weird if lead plane doing any sharp turns.   You can then detach the planes when necessary and their AI will take over (and they will probably be completely unpredictable).

5 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

If this is for eye candy, then you can have the "lead plane" fly, and attach all the other planes to the lead plane at whatever the relative positions you desire.  That will look good while lead plane flies straight, but will get weird if lead plane doing any sharp turns.   You can then detach the planes when necessary and their AI will take over (and they will probably be completely unpredictable).

I need them to be active, because they will without a doubt take fire from the 109s, and they have turrets I want to return fire. But that's not a problem. The pilots are the issue. The turret gunners, aren't going to cause trouble, I just need the pilots to fly in a straight line and ignore enemy contact.

I have arma closed ATM, can you have civs pilot the plane, with troops in the turrets? Civ pilots might be less reactive.

You should use "agents" for atleast the pilots. maybe even the gunners but then shooting needs scripting. 

See the createAgent command.