Valenches.C

Question about old development

I recently read a wiki entry related to GAME 2 that BI was actually working on a Wild West game around 1999-2000 that was eventually switched to modern day. What ever happened to the old wild west concept?

23 minutes ago, Valenches.C said:

I recently read a wiki entry related to GAME 2 that BI was actually working on a Wild West game around 1999-2000 that was eventually switched to modern day. What ever happened to the old wild west concept?

You have already posted this question, the thread was moved to correct place. https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/forum/127-offtopic-games-gaming/

Originally Bohemia didn't want to follow Operation Flashpoint with a direct sequel, but instead with... a Wild West game. "It was Flashpoint in Western," Marek Španel says. "We tried to be more authentic, open-world. Many of us have always been real Spaghetti Western people so it felt like the right thing to do."

They toured the US researching after receiving the 2002 rookie studio award at GDC. "We had these idealistic ideas about Indians so we decided to visit some Indian reservations. And that was pretty depressing. Very depressing," he recalls. "The people lived there probably from some state funds, drinking a lot, their kids really abandoned in some sense - barefoot kids running around the streets. A lot of wild dogs. Small houses. And right next to every small house was this big new fancy truck. That was strange.

"Basically it was nowhere near what we thought we would find there. I've seen a movie later called Skins - an incredible movie from an Indian reservation - and that captured the right feeling."

They made some prototypes, most as modifications to Flashpoint, but the idea fell by the wayside without any real-life inspiration to hang it on. "The romantic idea of Wild West is just non-existent in reality," he decided, and ambitions for it to be multiplayer may have been beyond what a 10 person studio could deliver anyway. Two years he'd projected, whereas today he says it would take 50 people three.

As far as I know, the Wild West theme switched to super realistic and comprehensive modern military simulator pretty early on.