jakers12

How to create a mission in which ai isn't...not smart?

Unlike many players, I only like playing singleplayer games, because if you have an editor, you have complete of everything and you can have as much fun as you want. Unfortunately, in Arma, the AI is not exactly..smart, even with AI modifying addons. For example many times when I give a simple "move" command, once they reach the enemy, some of them shoot at the enemy, while some target left or right away from the enemy and it just doesn't make any sense, they just get completely lost.

When defending, the ai gives the enemy soldiers to reach way too near, like 50-100 meters, until they start shooting at them. On flat terrain, with mountains and forests its even worse.

I believe however that using triggers or some specific commands you can make the AI smarter, so are there any ideas on how to make a simple attack/defend mission, but with the AI not being such a mess?

I don't play a lot of "sandboxable shooters", but in Men of War Assault squad you also have an editor and you can also make a attack/defend mission and for some reason there the AI seems to be way smarter, even though Arma should have a much more realistic AI due to its scale. I don't remember seeing soldiers target left or right away from the enemy in that game, and it was released in 2011.

Okay, I am not sure if I understand you correctly here, but have you tried adjusting the AI skill in the editor?

I have, I kinda forgot the exact options by now, but I think that there are skill settings in the main options section and I believe a skill slider when you are putting a new unit inside the editor, but I didn't see any important difference regardless of what settings I use.

If I set everything up to the max in the main options section, do settings inside the editor make a big difference? I believe that both main and editor skill settings are already maxed, but maybe I forgot something.

Agree with you and have been saying it for ages - AI targeting orientation needs to be overhauled from the ground up. Simply, nothing really matters, not planning, not strategy guides, not caliber or type of troop if the soldier cant simply keep oriented at his closest known target. Its part animation system, part the way AI choose to make decisions, or lack there of..

• Like 2

If I were to use a addon, which one would be better for this orientation problem, ASR or Vcom? Do you actually need to script units in the editor or something to even use one of these or do you just enable them and they use them automatically?

No but it can fake it. VCOM is probably the preferable option.

We are using ALiVE. ALiVE spawn units in your defined zones and have some very nice features for mission makers.

And ALiVE have a module called "Military Ai skill". You can define the skill with them.

Works fine!