Hello ARMA community,

today I release my third RAVAGE mission. Have fun!

Short overview:

Title: RAVAGE CASTAWAY TANOA

Version: 1.3

Author: tourist

Type: SP/COOP 1-10 Roleplaying Game

Respawn: Base/Markers

Game Version: created and playtested in SP and MP on 1.78 Stable

Language: English

Sceenshots:

YouTube Channel featuring clips and Episodes of this mission and my other RAVAGE missions:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsOXKlspvVe5HGSNlSbveFg

Features:

• Survival Roleplaying Mission featuring the awesome RAVAGE Mod in an "Escape the Island" Scenario inspired by cosmic's mission

• Play in the beautiful Tanoa Archipelago. Once a tourist paradise, but now a very dangerous place to be!

• Further enhanced by usage of Bad Benson's immersive script suite tailored for RAVAGE:

• Temperature system makes campfires an absolute necessity – so getting wet from a little moonshine swimmig tonite is not a good idea if you can't warm up afterwards!

• Random Helicopter/airplane crashsites, vehicle spawns and airdrops make every playthrough different even in SP

• Random start and respawn locations in MP for all players – go find yourself a crew, Captain! And if your online friends let you down because of this lame excuse called „RL“, you can recruit any blufor AI with the RAVAGE recruiting system...

• AIS/A3Wounding System for the Revive – this is the HOT stuff cuz it works in SP also! See ingame Briefing hints for instructions on using that awesome piece of code and for the settings active in this mission! If you have any AI subordinates or play SP, your teammates will all be able to heal each other and you. In „mixed MP“ with some humans and some AI, the AI will also help the humans, even if those AI buddies are NOT the „Combat Medic“ class.

• Play as a small group through an adventure challenging you to show if you're ready to stand by your friend's side or rather choose to abandon one or even all of them in the face of mortal danger...

• Different win endings depending on your success and playstyle as a loner or as a team

• I'm happy to announce that my new "Tanoa Castaway" mission offers a persistent task with several sub-tasks. I achieved this by utilizing the convenient fact that ALiVE saves a vehicles position, health, ammo AND fuel state if any player has accessed the vehicle just once before the ALiVE savegame is made.

• Subtasks are to find three radio relays, then refuel their generators (depicted by a generator trailer and a truck with empty fuel tank) to finally power them up and send out a long range SOS.

• NOTE: Once a truck is refuelled, a player has to hop in&out once and then the session can be saved. After loading the ALiVE savegame, the trigger for checking the generator trucks which is set to repeatable on purpose will fire again due to ALiVE object persistency having saved the fuel level of the trucks. And once the "refuel" tasks are complete, the preliminary "finding" tasks also complete once again

• Did I mention this mission features a "digital sailing course"? You have to move from island to island either by paddling a PBX boat or motorboat with empty fuel tank (max speed 9 km/h) OR by sailing a yacht with up to 20km/h IF you sail it well and according to the "ropes" you get tought by a Field Manual entry and by an in-game GUI!

• Mission designed to make use of the improvements that came with RAVAGE 1.4.7, namely loot and equipment module variety: now props will spawn and lootable trash piles and furniture are there for you to scavenge. But beware: all loot types are only available in logical locations – so you won't find sniper rifles in a banana plantation's outhouse anymore!

• Phronk's „Addon Free Melee Script“ used to give all players a wrench as melee weapon at game start. Since the script is meant to work on items hand-placed in Editor, I didn't litter the whole map with axes, knives and whatnot. I simply give you a showcase of this cool script and the offer to try a unique playstyle fitting IMHO very well into an A3 RAVAGE mission. This script allows me to actually let you play through the grim experience of coming to a shootout wielding not even a knife, but just a wrench! Now go and create some vids of your flip-flopped game characters charging towards a bandit armed with a gun and beat him to death! Please do so with whatever battle cry your nation habitually yells out!

• Added ALiVE saving (local save, NO WarRoom Account necessary!) and player modules to the mission – this means you can use BIS save or ALiVE save in SP and only ALiVE save in MP.

• I have chosen to do so because the ALiVE save gives full object and inventory persistence for any and all boxes or vehicles or even loot objects left on the ground which players access during a SP or MP session. The usage in this mission is just for the persistence; so you don't need a Master Degree in ALiVE Gameplay. In fact, you won't even need a B.A.

• In SP, just press the ESC button and then you can choose between the usual „Save&Exit“ button or the „ALiVE SP Save“ button. Loading happens automatically when you start the mission. Even if you don't see the usual „continue“ button in A3 Scenario list, don't worry. ALiVE essentially emulates it's MP save resuming system when you use it in SP. So once you are ingame again, it will load the previous session's state automatically. You can also use ALiVE for managing your survivor team or for some debug/cheat options. If you want this, just press the „application“ button or whatever you have chosen to associate with ALiVE Menu. If you die in SP while using ALiVE save, you won't get a „reload“ button. Instead, quit to main menu and „restart“ the mission. You will load your last manual ALiVE Menu „Player Save“ or your last „ALiVE SP Save“ made on exiting the mission last time.

• In MP, you should try to get access to the GUI that lets you make an individual player save with ALiVE. You'll need that save if you want to leave the server before the other players or before the player who is Admin shuts it down. Speaking of which: easy as well! As Admin, press ESC, then choose „Server Save & Exit“. That's it! Once you do that, you save any players still on the server. Also in MP, the resuming of the mission is automatically.

• Oh, and you can move stuff around in the gameworld if it's not too heavy to lift. Crates, barbed wire, dropped weapons... Also you can load boxes (and their inventory) into your vehicles and later unload these again with mousewheel actions if the boxes are in a distance of 2 meters or less from the vehicles.

• NOTE: it's not recommended to mix between BIS SP savegames and ALIVE saving in the same playthrough, but if you decide to risk it and for this or for some other reason want to delete the ALiVE savegame, just execute this code in the debug console as sugested in the ALiVE WIKI:

Manually clear data from the ProfileNameSpace when running Local persistence using the following commands. Be sure to use Server Exec if running on a dedicated server.

call ALiVE_fnc_ProfileNameSpaceClear //removes current mission data only

call ALiVE_fnc_ProfileNameSpaceWipe //removes all mission data completely

CREDITS:

First I'll credit the creators of the used tutorials and templates because without their work I couldn't even have started A3 mission making, modded game or vanilla, and of course special thanks goes to all RAVAGE specific tutorials!

Haleks for his kind help in the RAVAGE release thread and the MP testing PM thread

cosmic10R for his RAVAGE templates

MacScottie/Jester814 for providing his very motivating and beginner friendly YouTube Tutorials

Psychobastard for his PDF A3 Editing Guide in German and for his AWESOME Revive Script AIS/A3 Wounding System

rsoftokz for his ROADS mission

sproyd for his A3 Editing Guide in English

Next to be credited are the friendly forum members or YouTubers (listed alphabetical, not by amount of help) that helped me either with code, with direct communication to solve various specific problems during the creation of this mission or by testing the mission together with me

bad benson for his script suite, for his general tips on mission balance and our broad exchange on the different approaches to achieve a high realism level in the ARMAVERSE and of course for playtesting my older missions

cosmic10R for his RAVAGE templates, for his great Escape! Mission that inspired me to try my own approach to this kind of RAVAGE mission, for the great exchange of mission ideas and for playtesting in general

Evil Organ for lots of mission ideas we exchanged during RAVAGE testing

Haleks for creating his awesome RAVAGE Mod and for letting me take part in the MP testing, also of course special thanks for all his coding tips

phronk for his Addon Free Melee Script

rpgteamx for his YouTube tutorial on markers and how to change their appearance with triggers

Sgt Justin [GCF] for his Simple Vehicle Locking System

Here comes the required addon list:

CBA A3: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18767

CUP Terrains Complete: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=30045

CUP Vehicles: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=29716

RAVAGE: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=29638&highlight=RAVAGE

ALiVE: http://alivemod.com/#Download

HAFM NAVY: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=32207&highlight=HAFM

Sailing Mod: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=32570&highlight=SAILING

Little Yacht: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=32131

Paddle Mod: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26055

MrSanchez Headlamp: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=32777&highlight=HEADLAMP

Optional Addons:

ASR AI: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=24080&highlight=ASR

OR

VCOMAI: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25381&highlight=VCOM

Why ASR AI or VCOM AI? These two (use only one of them at a time ofc!) are my personal preference and IMHO the best plug-and-play solutions for SP and MP alike! They make bandits real crappy shooters and trained Army soldiers dangerously effective!

ENHANCED MOVEMENT:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27224&highlight=ENHANCED%2BMOVEMENT

Get! That! Mod! Now! You WILL find it incredibly immersive and helpful to survive being hunted by zombies while still unarmed at mission start and you WILL still love it even later in the mission to save ammo by doing a little E&E or find a vantage point in firefights with bandits!

ALL THE SUPPORTED EQUIPMENT AND WEAPON MODS:

See the frontpage in the RAVAGE Release thread to find out which mods are supported by default!

And finally the mission itself:

Now go get it at Steam Workshop or via this BIS Forums release thread!

Version with Zombies:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1235056836

or

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hltxztqt0w8v6a5/RAVAGE_CASTAWAY_ZEDS_1.Tanoa.pbo.7z?dl=0

Version without Zombies:

TBD/on user request      HERE YOU GO: 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1241325229

or

https://www.dropbox.com/s/efvq6ab4bjmzaos/RAVAGE_CASTAWAY_NOZEDS_1.Tanoa.pbo.7z?dl=0

UPDATE 1:

• Changed the Hypothermia damage you receive due to BB's temperature script being active when having low body temperature to increase much slower - after all, the original settings were ideal for a mission on WInter Chernarus, but are too harsh for a mission set in the tropic climate of Tanoa.
  • Updated mission's modules to take advantage of the fixes in RAVAGE 1.48

UPDATE 2:

Fixed:

• Mission had dependencies on Warfare Thai and IFA3; removed these so that both mods are just supported, but not required now

• Fixed the playable slots/AI buddies being invulnerable

• Fixed Team Switch being unavailable in SP by re-saving and re-uploading the mission with newest RAVAGE version which has this problem fixed

Added:

• Script allowing to lock and unlock vehicles. Only becomes really necessary to use if you play with one of the recommended AI mods. Wether it's ASR AI or VCOM, you WILL face the problem that RAVAGE ambient AI is stealing any cars they come across – and that could break some of the tasks in this mission. Usage of the unlock/lock script is via action menu. And just in case that you

a) use VCOM or ASR AI

and

b) still forget to lock the Radio Relay trucks after (partially) refuelling them

• I have set the trucks to lock automatically once all players leave the area to spare you from rage quitting after you haul some fuel across the whole island to your radio relay truck... only to see some dirty thieves drive away with it right before your eyes!

UPDATE 3

Fixed:

• Fixed a possible exploit with the refuelling tasks: now there is a check if you syphon out the fuel again after a generator vehicle has been checked as „refuelled“ - now you can no longer refuel one generator and then syphon the fuel out to use that very same fuel on the other generators as well ;-)

• Updated mission's modules to take advantage of the bugfixes in RAVAGE 1.52

Added:

• Radio messages in response to players using radio codes „Alpha“ and „Juliet“ after having successfully refuelled all generators and thus established a radio contact to the EVAC vessel. This way you get a more noticeable feedback on whether your SOS call actually got through to the rescue party and what to do next.

• A task directing you to meet the EVAC ship which gets completed once you come close to the vessel at the designated rendezvous location.

• A final task ordering you to actually board the EVAC ship which completes after doing so and thus make more obvious what you have to do to trigger the mission end screen.

• Availability of the Debug Console for all players to extend a helping hand to all the victims of black computer magic who can't access the console in SP...

UPDATE 4

Fixed:

• Fixed a problem with trigger locality preventing the mission from ending properly

Edited by tourist
updates to mission
  • Like 9

I'd like to see a version without the zombies as well. I've been playing the mission for a few days and while the NPC human enemies can be fairly tough to fight, the zombies really don't pose much of a threat. I find them to be more of a minor nuisance than anything else. My one big complaint (and this is true of most Ravage missions I've played) is the lack of sleeping bags and tents (to advance time) or night vision goggles in the early stages of the mission. I couldn't find any of those items before it got too dark to see on the first day. I did manage to find a working vehicle but considering how poorly the A3 engine renders the light beams of flashlights and headlights, I wound up moving to a relatively safe location and then engaging 4X time acceleration. I then watched TV for an hour or so while the game was idling to pass the time until it was daylight again. While not being able to see when it's dark is realistic, it's not exactly conducive to casual play if a player only has an hour or so of playtime. Other than that, I've been enjoying the mission and I think you did a good job with it.

@vengeance1@scimitar:

THX for the feedback.  I'll do the version without zombies then and have several ideas on the problem of the nights:

1) Play it with this mod which will give you a lightsource that's a bit better than the chemlights in RAVAGE and doesn't require you to actually have a light on you: 

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=32143&highlight=SHOULDER 

2) Use console commands to skip time - I have enabled the debug console for SP and MP logged in admin:

press ESC, then type this in the exec box: SkipTime 8; 

Then press "global exec" and voila, you've skipped the night/got yourself 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep...

Tell me if this is helpful

tourist

• Like 2

@all:

NO ZEDS Version is available now; have upped the population count to give you more bandits to fight against.  Also edited credits & mission features cuz I actually forgot to mention phronk's Addon Free Melee Script - SHAME on me! :icon_bash:   

(And maybe a little educational whack with... a certain tool.)

• Like 4

Hi,

Looks awesome. But as a total "save-anywhere" fanatic, I have to make sure about the way it works.

I read:

"you can use BIS save or ALiVE save in SP"
then
"I have chosen to do so because the ALiVE save gives full object and inventory persistence for any and all boxes or vehicles or even loot objects left on the ground which players access during a SP or MP session"

I intend to play this SP only. I'd prefer to use the BIS save because it gives more gameplay options thanks to multiple save slots. But if I understand the above correctly, on the one hand you say we can use BIS' save, and on the other that the ALiVE Save saves everything. This kind of implies that the BIS save does not save everything? I wouldn't want to find the hard way after hours of playing that some stuff did not save properly :).

@  neofit:

Don't worry about the BIS SP save; this does ofc also save everything. As with my previous missions, there is the same mission file to be used for SP and MP.

In SP, you can choose if you save with BIS save or ALIVE save. After extended playtimes within addon- heavy RAVAGE missions the BIS save tends to become too big too handle for the engine and may lead to crashes on loading it. This is why I give you the alternative ALIVE saving in SP as well.

In MP however, players have to use ALIVE if they want to save anytime, anywhere - especially if a group of players quits the game at different times. That won't work with BIS saves.

Hope that makes things more clear :f:

1 hour ago, tourist said:

@  neofit:

In SP, you can choose if you save with BIS save or ALIVE save. After extended playtimes within addon- heavy RAVAGE missions the BIS save tends to become too big too handle for the engine and may lead to crashes on loading it. This is why I give you the alternative ALIVE saving in SP as well.

So I can use BIS saves, and if or when they become too large I can make an Alive save, delete the BIS saves, then can carry on making BIS saves and they will become smaller?

I never thought of the combination of saving methods you suggest, but it could work.  The problem might be to find out at which point the BIS save becomes unstable. If you crash on loading a BIS save, you have to revert to the previous BIS save. So depending on your saving interval, you will have lost some progress. Then you could however proceed from this older BIS save and either switch entirely to using ALIVE saves or try to make one "intermediate" ALIVE save and check if  starting a "new" set of BIS saves from that point onwards in the way you intend to do will fix the crashes. 

Just try it out and tell me if you got the combo of saving systems to work. Maybe you should do a short test run with a renamed mission. pbo before starting your actual playthrough.

Nice mission. I played about 3-4 hours in Single player, no zed version. It was rather fun. Some remarks:

1. I subscribed to the Workshop No Zeds version. I did not see it in the Single-Player/Scenarios tab. Manually downloading from the DropBox link and putting it into <Game>/missions/ dir did the trick.

bbb.jpg

Oops. Warfare Thai EX is not listed neither on this page nor in the Workshop.

3. Phronk's "Addon Free Melee Script" is broken. I wish there was another way to melee. When I have the wrench, even on my belt, whenever I left-click somewhere like on an item in the inventory, my character does the very slow "hit something with a wrench but act like you are throwing it", then takes the previous weapon back in his hands, whether it was holstered or not. On every click. I have to drop the wrench every time I want to use the inventory.

I'm glad I didn't start with the zombie version.

4. I don't know if the following is intended, but it feels like an exploit to me. I spawn in SP with two other toons near me, I suppose these are supposed to be used by other players in coop. While I was stumbling around the island I started in in fog (not realising I had a full complement of items like a compass, a map, etc., I presumed that like in Pilgrimage I'd be nearly naked), some time had passed and a group of armed survivors spawned there. They started shooting at the two guys I started with. But since they appear to be invulnerable, I could easily just walk to one of them, and while he was 100% focused on emptying clip after clip on the invulnerable guys, wrench his head and the rest is history :).

5. Temperature mod. Oftentimes in Arma we add this or that mod to make life harder because it makes sense. Nothing in this one makes sense, from the way we lose heat, to the only way we can regain it. I was seriously annoying. I wish it were optional.

6. I managed to recruit a friendly. As a mute, it was quite a challenge to catch up with him so I can recruit him :). Once I did, I realized that I could not switch to him. Since team mate management in Arma is (still) a huge pita, I used the console to enable that with "addSwitchableUnit cursortarget;" and "onTeamSwitch ( {_group = group _from; _group selectLeader _to;} );"

7. Which brings me to: regardless of what is written in this thread, the console was not enabled in my game. I had to use the "Simple Single Player Cheat Menu" mod (which thankfully can be added mid-mission) to enable the console and issue the abovementioned console commands.

8. Then I lost the ability to interact with the environment (loot, siphon, etc). I believe it is because I had enabled team switch. I wish team switch were already there by default, any mission with team mates quickly becomes a chore without team switch. Now I guess I'm stuck. Well, never mind then :).

11 hours ago, neofit said:

Then I lost the ability to interact with the environment (loot, siphon, etc). I believe it is because I had enabled team switch.

I had a save from before I used the console. I reloaded, set up team switch, and have no problem looting and siphoning, so everything seems fine atm. I don't know what happened.

Edit: wrong. Only car fixing/siphoning/checking inventory works. the "Hold Enter to Search" feature disappears as soon as enable Team Switch.

@neofit:

1. Well, you figured it out on your own, didn't you?:f:
  2. Fixed
  3. Stays in as placeholder until a better melee concept is available. If you don't like it, don't use it.
  4. Fixed. THX for spotting that little editing mistake! :icon14:
  5. Take it or leave it. I have already tailored the temp mod to fit better to Tanoa climate.
  6. Fixed since RAVAGE mod 1.51 & I have tested it in the mission. Teamswitch works now after re-saving and re-uploading the mission
  7. Simply not true. Worked for me.
  8. See 6. Fixed in most recent RAVAGE version & I tested it as well.

I finished the mission, it was quite fun. More observations :) :

A. Possible exploit with the generators. You refuel one generator, get the mission update and then can siphon it back, and the mission does not get "un-checked". I put all the gas back into the generators though, I did not want to trek back to this location after refuelling the 3rd one. You may want to either disable siphoning fuel from the  generators, or if you turn them off when we do, please display a message or uncheck the mission.

B. May be a Ravage issue: right by the two towers in the main island there was this bus on the road. It behaved like a source of infinite fuel. I filled 4 jerry cans and the tank of my Range Rover. Compared to the other cars that were giving 2-7 liters, this one feels like an mistake.

C. After all 3 generators are working, the navy asks me to radio a message on two more frequencies. I wasn't sure what to do here. I've got 2 options in my radio to do that, but none of them gave me a confirmation. I thought that maybe I had to go back to each of the two other radio towers and radio from there, but apparently the ship arrived regardless. A confirmation after each radio message would have been nice.

D. I got to the rescuing ship, circled around it a couple of times, it said "welcome", but the mission did not end. Did I miss something?

E. I wanted to check some more things, but made the mistake to make one Alive save, and now, as per the mission description, restarting the mission loads this Alive save. I did a quick google to see where it was located, but it wasn't important enough to spend an hour on this. An option to actually restart the mission, or delete the Alive save would be nice.

19 hours ago, tourist said:

1. Well, you figured it out on your own, didn't you?

Why the Subscribe button then? ;) Granted, most people still playing Arma3 in 2018 know where to put a .pbo file, still Steam is offering frequent sales and some new people may get confused. You may add a warning to the mission description.

5. Take it or leave it. I have already tailored the temp mod to fit better to Tanoa climate.

What is happening with this is that once you get one box of matches, temperature becomes irrelevant. But before you get one, and I only found mine in the morning of day 2, it's a serious annoyance. Can I run a little to heat up? No. Put on the jackets of the 10 dudes I've just killed and stay indoors to heat up, since I'm not some cold-blooded lizard? No. etc

7. Simply not true. Worked for me.

It's not like I have nothing better to do than just lie, for whatever reason. I wanted to restart the game and take a screenshot of my Esc window, but that darn Alive save... :)

Also, you set enableDebugConsole to 1. I've seen reports, and I'm in that case, that even in SP one may need it set to 2 for it to work, even when admin on one's PC. I have no idea why that is, computer magic.

@neofit:

A - Fixed!

B - Buses have bigger fuel tanks, so in RAVAGE as IRL they yield more fuel when syphoning. You just got lucky! :don11:

C - Added radio messages for confirmation of radio codes Alpha and Juliet received by EVAC vessel

D - Added two tasks to make it more clear to the players what they are supposed to do after sending Radio codes Alpha and Juliet (move to rendezvous location) and how to end the mission (Oh please be so kind to actually, well, embark on the EVAC vessel, if you can fit it into your schedule, Sirs.) :rofl:

E - Info on that and code for use in Debug console addedd to 1st post. BTW, debug available for all players now. 

Hope you can nevertheless enjoy the mission some; THX for your in-depth feedback and suggestions! :icon14:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tourist said:

Added two tasks to make it more clear to the players what they are supposed to do after sending Radio codes Alpha and Juliet (move to rendezvous location) and how to end the mission (Oh please be so kind to actually, well, embark on the EVAC vessel, if you can fit it into your schedule, Sirs.)

I tried to, swam very close on a couple of spots, but got no option to embark. It is actually the first time I am seeing a boat so large, there is probably a sweet spot somewhere, but swimming is so slow that I abstracted this part. I figured they'd lowered some rowboat or rope ladder and I was saved. Maybe a trigger to end the mission when the player reaches the vicinity of the vessel would be easier?

Edit: of course the mission was enjoyable, except when I was shivering for almost a day :). These are just remarks about a few things that need fixing here and there to make it imho even better.