vaulcan

Help needed with first ever script-mod

Hey Ho Forum,

So ive finally got round to modding and ive stopped at the first hurdle! I have a small script (in note-pad) and I use it in every game but now its time to workshop it and I have NO IDEA how to mod. I can edit missions in the editor  but this has me stumped Really hope someone can help an old petrol-head make his first mod :)

EDIT: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197997042170/ ME!

Cheers V'

Hey there!

Just started recently aswell, and I can help you, I guess.

(If any of the following is wrong, please be gentle, I'm very new and figured all of that out by myself. Let me know and I'll correct it :)  )

Steps to start:

1. Go ahead and download ArmA 3 Tools on Steam:  (Click me!)
  2. Create a new folder (I think it's best to name it all lower case and with no spaces)
  3. In that new folder create a new file named "config.cpp"
  4. In this you need a basic structure:
    Spoiler

class CfgPatches
    {
    	class mod_name //Should be the folder name
    	{
    		// Meta information for editor
    		name = "Addon Name here"; //The name of the addon
    		author = ""; //(Your name, duh! :D)
    		url = "";

// Minimum compatible version. When the game's version is lower, pop-up warning will appear when launching the game.
    		requiredVersion = 1.60; 
    		// Required addons, used for setting load order.
    		// When any of the addons is missing, pop-up warning will appear when launching the game.
    		requiredAddons[] = {"A3_Functions_F"};
    		// List of objects (CfgVehicles classes) contained in the addon. Important also for Zeus content unlocking.
    		units[] = {};
    		// List of weapons (CfgWeapons classes) contained in the addon.
    		weapons[] = {};
    	};
    };

5. I'd recommend adding your script as function (faster engine execution), as for the how; Click me (If that doesn't help, let me know and I'll help further)

6. After that, you open the Addon Builder in ArmA3Tools. 
    1. In the first line you put the path to the folder you created in Step 2.
    2. In the second line you put the Path to the folder you'll be uploading to the SteamWorkshop and the addons folder in there. (For example: "C:\\Path\to\this\@ModName\addons")
    3. As for the Checkboxes: The first is obvious. The second would sign your addon(optional, but recommended, if needed I'll post an explanation). The third will binarize the file which in turn makes the file smaller (You might need to add *.sqf files in the options)
    4. Then you can press "PACK".
  7. Now start your game and add this mod as local mod in the launcher (so add this folder: "C:\\Path\to\this\@ModName")

8. Test if you can call your function and if it works as intended.

9. If not: Check the steps, or post the error. 

10. If yes: Go into the @ModName folder and add a "mod.cpp". Haven't really read into that yet, but here's the documentation: Click Me

11. Start the Publisher tool from Arma3Tools

1. In the first line you put the Path to the mod folder ("C:\\Path\to\this\@ModName")

2. The rest should be self explanatory, if not, let me know

12. Publish the mod, and use it as other mods!

That should be it, as stated before, I'm new aswell so please let me know if you spot any errors (@all reading this).

For further questions, either post here or add me on Steam!

-Dj

P.S.: If you find any Spelling mistakes, you can keep them :P