Sign in to follow this  
-Ash-

Falklands mod progress

This is very very WIP shot, although i was playing with our UA material aswell

This shows the buildings in basic form with a temporary texture just to see how it looks in game.  This is where the first action took place regarding the Falklands War.

OFP1256.jpg

This one location has taken over 18months to do mainly down to a lack of any plan views till very very recently.

It does emphasize some of the problems the Falklands team has had, many to do with reserach and ability of teammembers to actaully do what is required, its a big learnign curve for most of us and its shows when you look at images of some early work.  Believe me its going to be well worth the wait.

One question . . . I always wondered about about your ground textures. Should it be snow? Is it the ground that looks that way in the Falklands?

Yes your right, partly covered ground, if South Georgia was modelled as it would appear a few weeks later then it would be all white... Winter was just round the corner.

The other Falklands maps willbe a bit greener as the visual effects of winter were not so noticeable until near the end of the war.

One question . . . I always wondered about about your ground textures. Should it be snow? Is it the ground that looks that way in the Falklands?

I do believe it is snow. From what I understand the Falklands have alot of volcanic rock (the black stuff). The terrain isn't too different from what you find in the north of Sweden. With rocks of different sizes littering the ground. Or it's just that the snow hasn't settled in yet tounge_o.gif

07-Sarek.jpg

There's a picture to illustrate it. Imagine snow being caught in those little creases between all the rocks tounge_o.gif

Don't forget South Georgia is a fairly long way South of the Falkland Islands hence getting the brunt of severe weather conditions before the Falklands.......It's by the South Sandwich Islands near the South Pole.

April is the beginning of winter down there hence the light snowfall on the lowland.. The Falkland Islands would have got more serious weather later on hence the more greenier looking shots we produce.

im really looking forward for this one, this conflict was the first one i really followed in the news and its always had that mystic about it..SAS and all that business.

The naval\aerial warfare is what im all excited about really smile_o.gif

@ May 12 2005,01:26)]It's by the South Sandwich Islands

No doubt where the British Corned Beef Rations were sent before being given out.

Want me to call the CIA about it? I am sure we can arrange a airstrike at Kevbaz's location , plus hes no.12 priority target after all hes above 40 others crazy_o.giftounge_o.gif .

lol.

I appologise if I snapped a bit aswell.

Anyway nice screenshot even if it is just a beta image smile_o.gif

I think you will find that this is partly down to the images being taken on a sytem that is not all that good anymore.

I will try to get some images to show these textures in better light just so you can see how good they really look.

The textures are 512's and in game they appear quite ok although not as good as the very high res 1024's.

If you want 1024's then add years to this project, was hard enough changing the old 256's to new 512's (no I didnt just increase the texture size). These textures have at least the same level of detail as those on Nogova.

We do aim toplease but dont ask too much of what is a relatively small addons team.

Lessons learnt from experimenting on a personal project led to an upgrade that makes things look much much better here (well I think so!!)

Westland Scout above the Fallands 'camp', with 105 Light Guns nearby.

OFP1269.jpg

Pebble Island Airstrip

OFP1270.jpg

Harrier on Standby

OFP1272.jpg

Whos going to clean this mess up!

OFP1273.jpg

The intersection..

OFP1274.jpg

The following are images from the Stanley map, in particular showing the area around Government House including the Cable and Wireless station.

Rather atmospheric I think.

OFP1275.jpg

Rest as url due to piccy limits

http://www.ironfoot.co.uk/~cbfasi/picsfalk/OFP1276.jpg

http://www.ironfoot.co.uk/~cbfasi/picsfalk/OFP1277.jpg

The dunes near Stanley airport

http://www.ironfoot.co.uk/~cbfasi/picsfalk/OFP1278.jpg

looking fantastic. Can't wait for this one.

I tried out your harrier a few weeks ago and thought it was excellent, as is you Lynx which I am using to insert UKFs DPM troops into my missions.

Nice work!!

How ironic that such thing as a wargame can be so beautiful. smile_o.gif

ahh ...can already smell the sea breeze as i'm rolling in for an evac

on tumble down or goose green.

darn fine work

There is a good reason we havn't shown the close ups of Government House...

Its not finished and as such is unfit for public viewing any closer.

We will get good images when work has been completed on that set of buildings.

looks too pretty to invade   smile_o.gif

edit.. was thinking more along the lines of columns of russion T-80s and naval infantry biggrin_o.gif

not really realistic but hey looks like a great island

looks too pretty to invade   smile_o.gif

i wouldnt say invade.... i would say.... take back what was ours........