bis_iceman

Vehicle Interiors - Feedback

Short feedback: Now having tested it, I must say that the new vehicle interiors added much more to the simulation than I expected. The immersive qualities are very good, and I hope it is adjusted according to the pragmatic feedback offered by this thread. Well done BIS. The current design seems to balance performance,  expected workload of the designers, and reasonably well thought out interiors. Also: It is about time modern IFVs got sensors on par with civilian vehicles in the Arma3 setting. 

-k 

edit: I will also add, because it cannot be repeated enough, please provide alternate non-faction skins to all vanilla vehicles. It GREATLY expands the type of scenarios which can be put together. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2017 at 4:49 PM, Laqueesha said:

Good point. Thankfully at least the joysticks move when you move the camera around. For me the biggest thing is the lighting. It sucks to play a nighttime mission and then have a flashlight light up the interior of a completely-buttoned-up tank.

Dynamic lighting would be my number 1 update desire for Arma 3.  Shame we'll likely never see it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Imperator[TFD] said:

Dynamic lighting would be my number 1 update desire for Arma 3.  Shame we'll likely never see it.

Most likely going to have to wait for A4 for that, since its already in DayZ. 

But I agree, Dynamic lighting and shadows is a must. 

• Like 4

On 12/23/2017 at 11:56 PM, nkenny said:

edit: I will also add, because it cannot be repeated enough, please provide alternate non-faction skins to all vanilla vehicles. It GREATLY expands the type of scenarios which can be put together. 

Yes! Please BI. Take a look at the fabulous Kuma and Gorgon textures created by @Cre8or, posted in the Arma discord server's #screenshots channel, for an example.

• Like 3

Just FYI BI, the head movement ranges of these APCs allow the driver to move their head outside of the 3D interior.

Passenger department in AFV-4 Gorgon. Hatches are not functional in the game. Is it planned to make it work for shooters? A picture in the spoiler.

Spoiler

1353716859_5.jpg

• Like 2

This thread is for feedback of content on the dev branch, now lets try to keep it that way.

On 12/17/2017 at 5:22 AM, Strike_NOR said:

No need for foul language or rage. That's exactly what I think you were saying, because like I said, you were being very unclear.

What you specifically asked for is : "animations for commanders hand clicking buttons/display and driver (ex. switching to thermals, turning on lights, fire smoke etc)"

Which does sound like: an animation for clicking individual buttons for different systems, including : display screen buttons, lights, smoke launchers, etc.)",  and not how you said afterwards : "A simple hand gesture..." "... in the general vicinity of the button".

I don't think you fully appreciate or understand the complexity of animations, and the variety of control panel placements for each vehicle, even for a "simple hand gesture".

Besides, it would look like the player "used the force" to manipulate the vehicle.

Seeing that the pedals, steering wheels and side-stick for turret controls have been animated, you do, in my opinion, come off as rather ungrateful and demanding.

We do not need to show the players hands actuating controls. Unless you are suggesting a clickable interior like Steel Beasts. That would be very hard to program though.

21 minutes ago, jakeplissken said:

We do not need to show the players hands actuating controls. Unless you are suggesting a clickable interior like Steel Beasts. That would be very hard to program though.

?????? Why did you quote me to say this?

I am not suggesting anything here. I am against spending time on animating crew actions. I am not suggesting clickable cockpits for vanilla vehicles.

There are already mods that support clickable interiors. Devs are better off focusing on platform upgrades (core game mechanics) and improvements rather than introducing "high cost/low usefulness" things, if you ask me.

• Like 4

On 16/12/2017 at 8:44 AM, reyhard said:

As someone mentioned before there are actual lights inside of the interior which are configured with new compartmentsLights class. As name might suggest, such light is visible in given compartments in 1st person view and they disappear when switching to other view modes (optics/3rd person )

Spoiler

Hi, this is a great addition.
It's only applicable to "Tank" simulation or it's extensible to others, like "airplane", "helicopters" etc...?

Greetings.

3 hours ago, Mickyleitor said:

Hi, this is a great addition.
It's only applicable to "Tank" simulation or it's extensible to others, like "airplane", "helicopters" etc...?

Greetings.

As far as I know for now it's working only for ground vehicles

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, they could be quite beneficial to all vehicle types. I.e. more precise/realistic helicopter/jet cockpit illumination in 1st person. Obviously 3rd person/targeting pod/optics would not show that as (i presume) is the case atm.

New interiors look wonderful. The only thing missing is a gun elevation indicator in the artillery vehicles. Also, it's not, strictly speaking, about interiors, but would that be possible to add the type of selected weapon/round to the "zoomed-in" gunner displays? It would be very useful when playing with "game HUD" turned completely off (now that we have all the indicators in the interiors, it's finally feasible). I did find some small issues, will do a more through test run and list them all at a later date.

New interiors are great! As always, some comments though :P

• Tank gunners seem to have lost the ability to turn out? They also seem to be placed differently than their outer hatches suggest. Any changes planned here, or will this be final?
  • The varsuk driver's 2D FOV could do with some adjustment - it's really hard to see the road in hilly terrain. Makes driving hard. The auto acceleration while going down hill doesn't help...

I have some feedbacks:

- Tank gunners being able to turn out is something I'd really like to keep.

- Many vehicles seem to have no visible gunner's sight.

To expand on the second one:

All the IFV gunner positions have a lovely big MFD directly in front of them. This shows the weapon status, ammo count, and some diagrams. Useful information! But: this is information you'd probably want to have available at the same time as a gunsight picture. And there is no apparent gunsight picture visible. Some vehicles have whatever this is, which might be a gunsight - but if it is, it's extremely inconveniently placed, and doesn't really make sense for vehicles with remote turrets, like the Gorgon and Kamysh. And theoretically the status MFD could have a second mode which is a gun camera, but...we can't switch it, and even if we could, we wouldn't be able to see the status information at the same time, which doesn't make much sense.

Long story short, most, if not all, IFVs should gain either a second MFD showing the gun camera, or a scope-style gunsight positioned somewhere you could sensibly use it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SuicideKing said:

Tank gunners seem to have lost the ability to turn out? They also seem to be placed differently than their outer hatches suggest. Any changes planned here, or will this be final?

I noticed this, too. At least in the Kuma, by placing the Gunner inline with the Commander instead of to his left, the left hatch seems to belong to the ghost of the loader (it shouldn't be there). I don't know how hard it would be to remove it, since it's a small part of the tank with little thickness, but if something isn't done, I'll just keep joking around that the loader is pretty shy and never leaves the tank. Other than that, excellent work. It is more than satisfactory and I love the little details like how the cannon elevates in the turret.

• Like 1

The cannon in the interior of the varsuk doesnt recoil when firing. Not sure about the other tanks.

3 hours ago, SuicideKing said:

The varsuk driver's 2D FOV could do with some adjustment - it's really hard to see the road in hilly terrain. Makes driving hard. The auto acceleration while going down hill doesn't help...

Yeah it is super narrow, its practically useless. If the depth of the black border (in 3d view) behind the vision slot glass would be reduced, then moving the head would allow to see a bit better vertically by tilting view or raising/lowering head position. At this rate it's safer to always drive in reverse because you can actually see more :D

• Like 2

The cannon in the interior of the varsuk doesnt recoil when firing. Not sure about the other tanks.

Noticed too. How are you think, in that pic, we see part of hydraulic counterrecoil mechanism or some hatch ( I don't know how to call it) over firing hole? If we look closely if that firing hole so it isn't parallel to the autoloader. 

etq9lz_83h8.jpg

Might want to remove this from the Varsuk's field manual description:

The crew was moved from the turret to a more armored body of the tank resulting in increased survivability.

• Like 3

Slammer: 

1. Slammer UP the little joystick is stuck in its place and doesnt revolve with the turret.

2. The driver is too low to be able to look out through the slits.

3. The passenger head glitches when you switch to the seat making you see outside for a second and then the view goes back through the armor to the POV.

Kuma: 

1. When the commander is turned out he is offset from the hatch. 

T100: No issues found yet. 

Bobcat: 

1. How does the gunner get in and out of the tank? (seems to be with all non turreted slammers actually)

IFV panther:

Passenger door has a window on the outside but not on the inside? why not seethrough like on the Marid?

Marshall: Why is the window not seethrough like on the Marid? Implement FFV through the hatches for passengers?

Conclusion:
After a quick overlook of all the apc's and tanks ive come to the conclusion that a lot is very well done with some small issues here and there. 

Personally I believe that it would be good if FFV was added for APC passengers. 

// Regards, lonewolf96. 

Why do the Sochor and Scorcher, Cheetah and Tigris have different turret interiors despite being the same exterior?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Night515 said:

Why do the Sochor and Scorcher, Cheetah and Tigris have different turret interiors despite being the same exterior?

Seems pretty obvious that they're trying to differentiate the vehicles despite the turret models being the same. Would definitely be cool to see external differentiation too, though.

Unrelatedly, is there any chance that we could get "immersive" sights for drivers/commanders, similar to what we have for drivers? Currently, when you right click aim in those positions, you get a view that gives the impression that you've turned into a magical camera floating in space. This is probably an okay approximation for bi/monocular sights, but for display-based sights it would be nice to get a view that gives you an impression that you're looking at a display and haven't transformed into a camera. That would help sell the immersion that you're in an actual vehicle even if you're sitting in the sighted mode all the time.

Also, I noticed that the Tigris interior's gunner position doesn't seem to have any sort of obvious sight for the gunner to actually aim his gun. I suppose that the MFD could turn into a camera while aiming, but it seems a bit off since most of the other gunner positions have some sort of ocular sight to explain why they don't have a display-based sight.

• Like 1

Small oversight with the M5 Sandstorm. The Gunner's compartment has no visible hatch. How the hell are they supposed to have gotten in there? The underside escape hatch? :face_palm:

Looking at it a bit more, it's not the only one, either. The Panther/Bobcat gunner lacks one as well. It's a minor detail, but one you can't unsee once you notice it. 

As for the different interiors, it's likely to offset the development shortcut they took during Arma 3's early years by giving the SPAA and SPArty the same turrets. They're supposed to be completely different, but it's never really been worth doing a remodel. Besides, once Tanks DLC drops we're most likely going to be all working from inside as the tank gods intended

To go a bit off topic for fun: the tank gods specifically. In a spoiler in case you don't care :)

Leonardo Da Vinci: God of the Proto-Tank and Counter-Reverse-Engineering

General John Baptiste Estienne: God of all Tanks, French Tanks, and Armored Warfare

Sir Winston Churchill: Co-God of British Tanks and God of Naming Things After Yourself

Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery: Co-God of British Tanks, God of Impractical Tanker Headgear, and Co-God of Desert Warfare

General Dwight Eisenhower: Co-God of American Tanks and God of Tank Training

General George Patton: Co-God of American Tanks and God of Armored Cavalry

Marshal Mikhail Tukhachevsky: Co-God of Russian Tanks and God of Political Purges Coming Back To Bite You

Marshal Georgy Zhukov, HOTSU: Co-God of Russian Tanks and Tanks That Are Good Enough

General Heinz Guderian: Co-God of German Tanks, God of Military Buzzwords, and Thinking You're More Influential Than You Actually Are

Field Marshal Erwin Rommel: Co-God of German Tanks and Co-God of Desert Warfare

Little Willie: Patron Saint of Prototype Tanks

Mark IV Tank: Patron Saint of Breakthrough Tanks and Landships

Mark IX Tank: Patron Saint of Armored Personnel Carriers

FT-17: Patron Saint of Turrets

Panzer IV: Patron Saint of Balanced Tanks and The German Tank

M4 Sherman: Patron Saint of Underrated Tanks and The American Tank

Panzer V Panther: Patron Saint of Main Battle Tanks

T-34: Patron Saint of Tanks That Are Good Enough

Panzer VI Tiger: Patron Saint of Overrated Tanks and Heavy Tanks That Don't Work

Churchill and Matilda II: Patron Saints of Infantry Co-Operation

IS-2: Patron Saint of Heavy Tanks That Actually Work and Caliber 120mm

Cromwell: Patron Saint of GOTTA GO FAST LIKE SANIC

Centurion: Patron Saint of Very Well Thought Out Tanks and Boiling Vessels, and The British Tank

AMX-13: Patron Saint of Light Tanks and The French Tank

T-55: Patron Saint of Mass Production and The Russian Tank

Schutzenpanzer Lang: Patron Saint of Infantry Fighting Vehicles

• Like 2