bis_iceman

Vehicle Interiors - Feedback

6 minutes ago, BHLLBCRGN said:

if you want something close to the truth, the text on the control panel should be Turkish

Not it should not be. The Marid isn't used by the Turkish army in Arma 3.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R3vo said:

Not it should not be. The Marid isn't used by the Turkish army in Arma 3.

But neither is it used by RusFed/russian speaking faction...

9 hours ago, bars91 said:

So maybe Persian language for CSAT Mediterranean and Chinese language for CSAT Pacific?

Then these displays will be useless because no one can read them (Arma 3 is banned in Iran and Steam community is banned in China).

• Haha 1

First of all!

All in all you have very many good suggestions, great testing and bug-searching done here :)

Secondly:

14 hours ago, pr9inichek said:

Need to change height of seat, for more view on ground Now - https://imgur.com/I1FwBvx Need - https://imgur.com/zMo0uId or smth that

You mention seat positioning in many different points, and I think the problem doesn't magically disappear by moving the character seat height permanently. For instance: I use trackIR and it is more natural for me to have the current seating (AMV commander/gunner), because I can look out by default, but in order to view the monitor I can just glance down.

If you would lower the head position to your suggestion, then I would have a slightly better view of the monitors (PIP), but no useful view through the periscopes, at all. I would have to move my head upwards (which is harder with track IR) in order to look outside.

Because of player base split between Track IR and non-Track IR users, either of the possible situations (head high, but poor view of screens vs. head low, but poor view of the periscopes) are not a 100% fix. Therefore, my suggestion is to do what many combat flight sims do, which is to have a "snap to sight" view mode. The very popular BF-109 has an offset sightglass, and in realistic sims, this means you have one head position good for flying (see all instruments), and one for shooting (head moved right to see the sight correctly). The same philosophy could be applied for ARMA, either by "adjusting seat height" with a button, alternating between high/low seat height. Or "cheating" by creating a camera position that functions as an alternate "first person" view mode, perhaps with restricted FOV as to not see your own body "detached" behind you.

Perhaps it could be keybound to the same as alternate optics button. (Default Ctrl+RMB).

This way, if the player wants to see a wide view of the surroundings he/she can have his head up in the cupola (raised view). If the player wants to see inside the interior and use the monitors, he/she could sit down and use the lowered view.

Above all I am for conserving realism, so if the BIS devs created the interiors from blueprints/to scale, then the default view should reflect the vehicle design. If the vehicle supports adjustable seats, they should incorporate a way to alternate between optimal view points, or have a gradient change of height (much like the periscopes can adjust on certain vehicles).

14 hours ago, pr9inichek said:

The rear view screen does not display the dimensions of the APC

This is a fantastic suggestion. An overlay that shows a rough estimate of the vehicles size to avoid running over stuff. One of my cars has this feature and it is really helpful. Haven't backed over the neighbors cat yet! *Knocks on wood*

• Thanks 1

Hello, 

thank you all for taking time to suggest improvements for this amazing feature! The final product will be even better thanks to your efforts. Allow me to pitch in my suggestions:

1) Crew animations - necessity!

As long as the crew will just stare at the MFDs constantly without any human movement, it will be a major atmosphere killer. I hope some inspiration can be taken from Red Orchestra 2, for example - I can imagine the crewmen looking out the viewports,  checking their MFDs, looking around,... This is followed by animations of turned out crewmembers viewed from inside the vehicle as well as death animations for both states. Please dont just make them slump forward! They have to feel real and raw to convey emotion.

2) Firing effects - The player should be able to recognize when his vehicle fires its armament - screen shaking, vibrations, mechanical parts moving,...

3) Damage - The interior should reflect the vehicle's damage state just like exterior - texture changes, functionality,... Holes, burnt panels,  inoperable electronics, destroyed viewports,..

4) Make as much gameplay elements as possible accessible from the interior, if possible eliminate the need to go 2D/check HUD entirely

Also please try to work on interior lighting during nighttime, as has already been specified earlier in this discussion.

Basically - try to make the interiors feel ALIVE, IMMERSIVE and USEFUL.

Last but perhaps most important, how can the community move this feature to mods as well? As much as I love seeing this in Arma, its not really a "platform update" like the jet sensors, more of a vanilla vehicle addition instead (although I believe some tech to make this possible and easier is being developed right now to be released to the community later later?).

Modders, its in your hands! :D

Thanks for reading, cheers! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Strike_NOR said:

First of all!

All in all you have very many good suggestions, great testing and bug-searching done here :)

Secondly:

You mention seat positioning in many different points, and I think the problem doesn't magically disappear by moving the character seat height permanently. For instance: I use trackIR and it is more natural for me to have the current seating (AMV commander/gunner), because I can look out by default, but in order to view the monitor I can just glance down.

If you would lower the head position to your suggestion, then I would have a slightly better view of the monitors (PIP), but no useful view through the periscopes, at all. I would have to move my head upwards (which is harder with track IR) in order to look outside.

Because of player base split between Track IR and non-Track IR users, either of the possible situations (head high, but poor view of screens vs. head low, but poor view of the periscopes) are not a 100% fix. Therefore, my suggestion is to do what many combat flight sims do, which is to have a "snap to sight" view mode. The very popular BF-109 has an offset sightglass, and in realistic sims, this means you have one head position good for flying (see all instruments), and one for shooting (head moved right to see the sight correctly). The same philosophy could be applied for ARMA, either by "adjusting seat height" with a button, alternating between high/low seat height. Or "cheating" by creating a camera position that functions as an alternate "first person" view mode, perhaps with restricted FOV as to not see your own body "detached" behind you.

Perhaps it could be keybound to the same as alternate optics button. (Default Ctrl+RMB).

This way, if the player wants to see a wide view of the surroundings he/she can have his head up in the cupola (raised view). If the player wants to see inside the interior and use the monitors, he/she could sit down and use the lowered view.

Above all I am for conserving realism, so if the BIS devs created the interiors from blueprints/to scale, then the default view should reflect the vehicle design. If the vehicle supports adjustable seats, they should incorporate a way to alternate between optimal view points, or have a gradient change of height (much like the periscopes can adjust on certain vehicles).

This is a fantastic suggestion. An overlay that shows a rough estimate of the vehicles size to avoid running over stuff. One of my cars has this feature and it is really helpful. Haven't backed over the neighbors cat yet! *Knocks on wood*

Or the player could simply use the Ctrl + Numpad options to move their head/viewpoint around without requiring TrackIR.  This now works in almost all vehicles including the newly modeled interiors.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if the interior had hidden selections. It could allow modders to customize interiors to a certain degree.

3 hours ago, pavel volonsky said:

Steam community is banned in China

Eh? What do you mean, Steam is available in China.

OMG, it's so immersive! Especially with head tracking, so you can lean and see everything. I love Gordon periscopes most!

Feedback Tracker is on maintenance, so I'll post here some notes:

1. MSE-3 Marid's turret is invisible in commander view

2. AMV-7 Marshal has horizontally flipped rear camera view, so I can't use it at all.

3. In some missions (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=192890745 I tried Marid) default view is fullscreen. RMB doesn't do anything. When you try to turn out, interior view appears, but my head is above interior, because I'm turned out. Turning in returns to fullscreen mode.

4. And at last, I suppose, night vision mode in fullscreen should be synced to personal NV Goggles at least for driver?

8 hours ago, Imperator[TFD] said:

Or the player could simply use the Ctrl + Numpad options to move their head/viewpoint around without requiring TrackIR.  This now works in almost all vehicles including the newly modeled interiors.

While I get your point and it is a viable solution to a seasoned player, think about the ArmA player base. Would you market tanks DLC "field manual" with "And if you want a quick look around use any combination of: ALT+mouselook combined with X possible key combos of ctrl+numpad for maintaining that crucial situational awareness!!"? 

I don't think it is a good "default" way to do it. To me it seems like a cumbersome workaround (for the average joe). The seasoned player like you and I, of course no problem, but apply this in a combat situation, where switching between should be as fast as turning in or out of the tank.

You would want a dedicated key for that I think, and a locked position, pre-defined by devs, that gives the best head position for both situations (watching monitors vs peeking out the scopes). 

It would be nice to see hit effects inside the vehicels i.e. APFSDS-T round tracers and spalling within the vehicles.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SuicideKing said:

Eh? What do you mean, Steam is available in China.

Steam community (www.steamcommunity.com) is just got banned.

On 12/18/2017 at 5:51 PM, bars91 said:

There's a Russian-speaking faction? I thought there was only the Persian and Mandarin-speaking factions for OPFOR.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Laqueesha said:

There's a Russian-speaking faction? I thought there was only the Persian and Mandarin-speaking factions for OPFOR.

I think their point was that there is no russian speaking faction, yet the vehicles and aircraft still have Russian labels.

• Like 1

That's because they're Russian-made. That's the general rule for equipment hand-me-downs. It's easy (though not as easy as with a PC) to reconfigure a modern MFD, but translating physical labels on an instrument panel isn't something that most militaries bother with (unless it's a specific version built for export to a particular country). CSAT pilots will just have to learn a bit of Russian. :) 

• Like 4

On 12/18/2017 at 5:27 PM, pavel volonsky said:

About the Marid.

In the gunner's seat there are Russian words "ПУЛЕМЕТ"(Machine gun) and "ГРАНАТОМЕТ"(GMG), I'm not digging into Russian but are they spelled right?

Shouldn't them be  "ПУЛЕМЁТ" and "ГРАНАТОМЁТ"?

You're technically right but this rule isn't strictly enforced. In this case it's ok to ditch the dots over Е as it doesn't introduce the ambiguity although there's a good chance that they still use "Ё" in actual vehicles.

Marid : the steering wheel is really so weird?
seems that the brake lights don't work

suggestions: a t100 with the same skins of Gorgon (altis rebels and syndiakat)

add the btr 60 pb, has the interiors ready with only the adjustment on the back where doesn't show the propeller, and on the front where the breakwater plate does not rise obviously with all rebels skins

On 12/19/2017 at 6:03 AM, Rak1445 said:

Hello, 

thank you all for taking time to suggest improvements for this amazing feature! The final product will be even better thanks to your efforts. Allow me to pitch in my suggestions:

1) Crew animations - necessity!As long as the crew will just stare at the MFDs constantly without any human movement, it will be a major atmosphere killer. I hope some inspiration can be taken from Red Orchestra 2, for example - I can imagine the crewmen looking out the viewports,  checking their MFDs, looking around,... This is followed by animations of turned out crewmembers viewed from inside the vehicle as well as death animations for both states. Please dont just make them slump forward! They have to feel real and raw to convey emotion.

Good point. Thankfully at least the joysticks move when you move the camera around. For me the biggest thing is the lighting. It sucks to play a nighttime mission and then have a flashlight light up the interior of a completely-buttoned-up tank.

• Like 1

Very nice BI! but the interiors feels a little bit empty. Try to fill them with warning stickers, interior lights and more buttons. It would be nice some custom animation for sneaking over the hatches, or simply custom idle animations for the crew (not just sitting there freeze like) Good job instead.

• Like 1

Go away for a month and this shit happens, lol... Really nice BI :) should be AAA in another year?

• Like 2

Tried to get random objects into the interior with the AttachTo command, but sadly objects within the interior aren't shown. What a shame. Really wanted a microwave under my seat.

This also rules out my idea of using the User Texture objects to achieve some form of customization.

tl;dr - if it's not possible to do it this way, it really would be great to get new hidden selections here.

6 hours ago, lexx said:

Tried to get random objects into the interior with the AttachTo command, but sadly objects within the interior aren't shown. What a shame. Really wanted a microwave under my seat.

This also rules out my idea of using the User Texture objects to achieve some form of customization.

tl;dr - if it's not possible to do it this way, it really would be great to get new hidden selections here.

they are most likely shown, but the problem is that the specific 1st person view lods are always rendered on top of anything. You can see that in planes. Put plane so that it would collide with pole on the wing if moving forward. Then look over the shoulder towards the pole. -> note how the wing is displayed over the light pole. This is universal rule.

On 12/21/2017 at 10:13 PM, x3kj said:

Put plane so that it would collide with pole on the wing if moving forward. Then look over the shoulder towards the pole. -> note how the wing is displayed over the light pole.

But.. but.. that would mean the things that you see in Arma, that are happening... aren't real... (*gets 'Truman show' feeling*).

3 hours ago, joostsidy said:

But.. but.. that would mean the things that you see in Arma, that are happening... aren't real... (*gets 'Truman show' feeling*).

Is anything in Arma really happening? 

8 hours ago, xxgetbuck123 said:

Is anything in Arma really happening? 

It would seem to if you'd listen to me and my friends discussing mission events! :-D