bis_iceman

Vehicle Interiors - Feedback

1 hour ago, kecske said:

But the new interiors already seem to have small lightsources coming from the displays (even better, they only seem to exist in interior view)

-snip-

Why not add a similar small lightsource to the passenger compartment? Really anything would be better than the complete darkness we have now (this applies to VTOLs etc too)

Please this, having an ability to properly configure interior lights would simplify so many mod systems that try do it through other methods like chemlights. Can be applied to all sorts of scenarios, plane jump lights, helo and apc passenger seats. The works.

• Like 1

I love the water temp and oil temp gauges actually work! They will increase with use and then will go back to original state when the vehicle cools down nice touch guys!  Will we get a search light and some of the other things that are found on  the new panel displays? 

t9RQbkZ.jpg

Some revival in political circles.  )))

Spoiler

Y5zdAMZ.jpgIUWsxo8.jpg

D4nyLPq.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SuicideKing said:

Keep in mind a lot of people will turn PiP off given the performance impact it has. So in the game the view ports need to be the primary and not the backup.

Although yeah, the head movement has to be significantly reduced/removed completely.

My Idea was to use the pop Up MFD to improve the views, not the PiP.

By the way, PiP set to normal does not give much of a hit anymore.

6 hours ago, khaosmatical said:

Please this, having an ability to properly configure interior lights would simplify so many mod systems that try do it through other methods like chemlights. Can be applied to all sorts of scenarios, plane jump lights, helo and apc passenger seats. The works.

ArmA II had a red ceiling light scripted to Starforce 21, I never understood why this was no standard at night. NVG friendly light would be blue, btw.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, x3kj said:

About the head animation (shaking) i agree about, it is and has been pretty terrible for a long time. Many vehicle positions suffer from this. Passengers, Pilots, now Tankers as well. It just feels jerky and hyperactive instead of organic. Its like the constant face swipe animation before they patched it -> way overdone. The only reason i dont go insane from this is because i mostly work and play with my own vehicles, with custom animations that dont have the jittering.

The thing i dont agree about at all is the view slits beeing useless. Once you bind the keys for camera/head movement (translatory) they are super usefull and way better than letterbox 2D view.

Proof desired?

Letterbox:

20171215235553_1cfkmn.jpg

3D View with cam moved forward (closer to the glass) to maximize screenspace:

20171215235545_1lwkor.jpg

Note the tree on the left. You can also move the cam up+down for viewing the sky/ground. And the cream of the crop is ... zooming in:
20171215235756_1djkh6.jpg

Now try driving Tanoa, in the marschal you will see the road only half if the time, off road it gets worse...the 2d Screen gives best view in front of the vehicle...thats the driver job, driving, not scanning for targets. Trough the slits you would also see any obvious Mine much to late...oder never.

Making Driver periscopes thats way is always a bad representation. TL those pericopes are very close (30cm) to the drivers head, that way the view outside is not as restricted like in ArmA.

peopel are already complaining and im here having heart palpitations

holy shit....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, khaosmatical said:

As someone mentioned before there are actual lights inside of the interior which are configured with new compartmentsLights class. As name might suggest, such light is visible in given compartments in 1st person view and they disappear when switching to other view modes (optics/3rd person )

class compartmentsLights
        {
            class Comp1  // first class is asociated with Compartment1, second with Compartment2,....
            {
                class Light1
                {
                    color[]                = {10,20,20};
                    ambient[]            = {0,0,0};
                    intensity            = 0.5;
                    size                = 0;
                    useFlare            = 0;
                    flareSize            = 0;
                    flareMaxDistance    = 0;
                    dayLight            = 0;
                    blinking            = 0;
                    class Attenuation
                    {
                        start            = 0;
                        constant        = 0;
                        linear            = 1;
                        quadratic        = 70;
                        hardLimitStart    = 0.15;
                        hardLimitEnd    = 1.15;
                    };
                    point = "light_interior1"; 
                };
                class Light2: Light1
                {
                    point = "light_interior2";
                    color[]                = {10,20,20};
                    intensity            = 0.5;
                };
                class Light3: Light1
                {
                    point = "light_interior3";
                    color[]                = {10,15,15};
                    intensity            = 0.8;
                };
            };
        };

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I already like everything, and it can stay as it is.
Just a question, are there any plans for saturation of the interior with details and the possibility of functional use?

Some details of the interior and their functionality.
Lamps for lighting - the ability to turn on the light.
First-aid kits - the possibility of using first-aid kits
GPS navigator \ Map - possibility of switching on
Fire extinguisher - possibility of use
Warning instructions \ symbols or labels on the panels

Examples in pictures in the spoiler

Spoiler

phLhepD.jpg

• Like 2

The interiors are very impressive! Just so it doesn't get lost in the development process I'm going to repeat what @KiTooN have said: it's better to use "ДАЛЬНОСТЬ" (range) instead of "ОБНУЛЕНИЕ" (zeroing) in Russian tanks because "zeroing" in Russian exclusively means "reverting to zero" as in "dropping the data and starting from scratch".

• Like 2

• [Marshall] the dirt on the drivers optic reflects in sunlight/ is extremely visible in darker surroundings (tanoa) and way too much.

4 hours ago, reyhard said:

new compartmentsLights class.

Awesome!  How did you make it so that direct sunlight doesnt affect the interior ? Where there any changes or repairs to the gunner/commander shadow LODs ? When i tried them they didnt work properly, but it could have just been my fault. Are there any special rvmat or LOD tricks? It looks a bit like a different env map is used for starters.

4 hours ago, Beagle said:

Now try driving Tanoa, in the marschal you will see the road only half if the time, off road it gets worse...the 2d Screen gives best view in front of the vehicle...thats the driver job, driving, not scanning for targets. Trough the slits you would also see any obvious Mine much to late...oder never.

Making Driver periscopes thats way is always a bad representation. TL those pericopes are very close (30cm) to the drivers head, that way the view outside is not as restricted like in ArmA.

Human eyes have way higher FOV than your screen could capture. And monitors way too low resolution to allow scanning the distance. This is why infantry in arma have magic eyes with zoom in and out function. Its a game on a monitor, not RL. Its the best representation of view periscopes that is possible under the circumstances, in addition to retaining the old letterbox. Old letterbox is a cheat detached from ingame reality. There is no hull blocking the view and aspectratio doesnt match the real optics. And just because the marshall driver has a shit periscope design that does not allow to look to the side does not eliminate all the other benefits that 3d optics for other vehicles and non-driver positions provide. How about you try the marid?

20171216124252_1w1ogz.jpg20171216124145_1emrkr.jpg20171216124140_1a9rzh.jpg20171216124133_1koq99.jpg20171216124111_14wqvy.jpg20171216124053_1gqr8l.jpg20171216124127_18fovc.jpg

Last pictures shows that the hull is not represented in the driver view (you can see through the optic back into the interior). Claiming that you will see less of the road in front of you is simply untrue if you adjust camera position.

Drivers job is to drive and when vehicle is standing to scan the front of the vehicle for threats.

But please, if it bothers you so much, just keep using magic letterbox and forced optics on gunner/commander.

3 minutes ago, x3kj said:

Awesome!  How did you make it so that direct sunlight doesnt affect the interior ? Where there any changes or repairs to the gunner/commander shadow LODs ?

There's a new LOD for Interior Shadows.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Redphoenix said:

There's a new LOD for Interior Shadows.

New LOD as in a mesh for Shadowvolume  View Gunner/View Cargo, or new LOD types (which i guess would require objectbuilder update)?

I tried Shadowvolume View Gunner but it didnt work properly when i tried (some time back).

Can the periscope glass be shot out/damaged by rockets? Or is this not a concern anymore in modern armoured vehicles?

21 minutes ago, SuicideKing said:

Can the periscope glass be shot out/damaged by rockets? Or is this not a concern anymore in modern armoured vehicles?

It is a big concern, but not modeled in ArmA at all. You can render a MBT useless with spray paint basically. It is a valid tactic to fire at MBTs with MG in return when youre engaged... if you manage to hit the main optics, the ability of the MBT is hampered a lot. Also it has to close the armour flaps for the main Optics. Since combat vehicles begin to rely on cameras more and more since direct optics are to dangerous for the eyes in an environtment full of high powered lasers, blinding of the vulnerable cameras and sensors is a real issue. The backup optical sights often dont even have night vision or FCS support and act liek in WW2 basically.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SuicideKing said:

Or is this not a concern anymore in modern armoured vehicles?

wftw0qfd.jpg

which is why they are all quickly changeable (minus main optics)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, x3kj said:
  •  

20171216124252_1w1ogz.jpg20171216124145_1emrkr.jpg20171216124140_1a9rzh.jpg20171216124133_1koq99.jpg20171216124111_14wqvy.jpg20171216124053_1gqr8l.jpg20171216124127_18fovc.jpg

I really don't see any advantage over the 2D layover in what you show me there.

47 minutes ago, Beagle said:

I really don't see any advantage over the 2D layover in what you show me there.

For me, it feels much better, not being forced to look though a 2D layover. Being able to move my head and look around is a big advantage in my opinion.

• Like 1

Yeah, and in worst case you can still switch back to the 2d view... so nothing lost, really.

• Like 1

Turret is missing on Marid:

DWzY7ho.jpg

Also the commander doesn't show up in the cupola.

1 hour ago, lexx said:

Yeah, and in worst case you can still switch back to the 2d view... so nothing lost, really.

yes the old letterbox bleh view is there for anyone :drinking: that wants that . 

This may be quite a disliked opinion understandably so . but if you are keeping both views. why are you not locking the new interiors behind the dlc paywall?  it will sell way more dlc and can hardly be called a dick move? correct me if I am wrong I think it would be fair enough? 

and that isn't a hey I have paid for it , I dislike that others are getting something for free that I payed for opinion. I honestly couldn't give 2 shits about the money on my end. I got more than my moneys worth from Arma3. It is more about the company making money for future development. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, teabagginpeople said:

:drinking:

3 minutes ago, teabagginpeople said:

why are you not locking the new interiors behind the dlc paywall?

I assume you are under the influence. ( :drinking2:)

This is a "free platform upgrade" which essentially is "patching old vehicles" to "meet newest standard". The new content (read: vehicles) that comes with Tanks DLC, will also feature new internals, mechanics, systems, weapons etc, and is perfectly fine to charge as DLC IMHO.

Given the comparatively low pricing of ArmA3s DLC so far, and the assumption that most of the dev team have shifted towards a "mysterious" new project, I can only assume the devs are decently funded towards ArmA 4.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice job, a welcome return.

Minor gripe. Most positions inside the vehicle seem to be in an incorrect spatial relationship with the exterior model. For example, "glass" viewports seem to sit way lower than they are positioned on the outer model. It's noticeable if you have a reference object in front of the viewports. When sitting still in the water, from inside, the viewports often go underwater, even though they are at least 30cm above water when viewed from outside.

• Like 3

From commander seat in Marshall, if you look through back viewports you can see into gunner position.

MLeValt.jpg

Also can't see the rest of the turret.

• Like 2