bis_iceman

Vehicle Interiors - Feedback

Some bug feedback!. When sitting in the Marid gunner position, you can not see the turret 3D model from the new interior, only the shadows it casts on the hull.

To reproduce, sit in gunner seat, look over your right shoulder and witness... nothing :) (Fun fact tho - from the gunner optics, you can see yourself inside the cupola :) Nice touch)

Some very good details:

• Ultra smooth reverse camera! (Changes driver display from instruments to rear view when backing up - extremely well designed you guys!)
  • Side-stick controller animations (nice touch!)
  • Overall high quality interiors!

I am most pleased :)

Here's some detailed feedback. As I said earlier, the interiors looks splendid already.

AVM-Marshall

Driver:

-          Decrease or remove scratches from windshield

-          Add headlight indicator

-          Animate switching handle

Commander:

-          Display is flickering

-          Default position of camera should be adjusted so one can see the full LCD screen (Should be moved down a bit)

-          Add manual fire indicator

Gunner:

-          Add laser ready indicator.

-          Move default camera position so that the azimuth can be seen

-          The right hand of the gunner should be placed next to the display instead of the lap. (Not important)

Marid

Driver:

-          Add headlight indicator

Commander:

-          Why are there two indicators for turret direction?  I’d prefer a GPS instead on the right side

Gorgon

Driver:

-          Headlight indicator

Gunner:

-          Looks fine!

Commander:

-          The azimuth indicator seems to show the direction of the main cannon, not actually the direction the commander is looking

• Like 5

A long time ago in a game ArmA 3
far, far away ... :don14:

VmsiRYx.gif

Now I can think about buying Tanks DLC. Why this add-on is at the very end of the DLC release list ?:stuck:

• Like 1

The interiors are nice, but not quite as usefull as it could be. Lighting still is a problem, the use of NVG at night inside the interior is still mandatory in game and that's not the way it should be. There should be interiour lightsources, always, and not so much lighting from outside. It does not make sense that at night the crew compartment gets lit by street lamps.

The Driver view ports should only be a backup in a 2035 combat vehicle. The excessive head movement does not help neither.

The Marshall view "slit" is so small and narrow you better don't use it at all and switch back to the 2D Texture.

Particularly for the marshall I was exspecting something more in the ways of this: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Besides the above points, my main complaint is the MFD positioning in both Marshall and Gorgon (Marid is fine). Basic readouts such as speed and RPM should be available below the viewports, so that the driver can quickly glance down on them. 

Seeing that work is done for those old assets...BIS please, give us a tropical or drab olive camo sheme for the pacific NATO vehicles. The light khaki does not work at all on Tanoa or even the lush areas of Altis.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, dragon01 said:

Besides the above points, my main complaint is the MFD positioning in both Marshall and Gorgon (Marid is fine). Basic readouts such as speed and RPM should be available below the viewports, so that the driver can quickly glance down on them. 

Most vehicles IRL don't have it in their direct line of sight.

Challenger for example:
The_interior_of_a__3075633c.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, R3vo said:

Here's some detailed feedback. As I said earlier, the interiors looks splendid already.

AVM-Marshall

Driver:

-          Decrease or remove scratches from windshield

I agree with all Revos suggestions. 

just want to highlight this part especially. the others are sweet to drive in first person now.  the Marshall already has less visual awareness driving compared to the others as it only has one view panel to see out from. but it is really hampered by the lets say over use of the wear and tear on  windshield.  

p.s :drinking2::eyeheart:.

1 hour ago, Redphoenix said:

Most vehicles IRL don't have it in their direct line of sight.

Challenger for example:

It's not in direct line of sight when the front is too sloped and vehicle heigth too low (as usually the case for MBT drivers)->no space. Not because it is very "good" place to put it.  Mechanical indicators require additional depth to house all the components. Nowadays it would be very little issue to provide a secondary small display bar above, below or beside the view periscopes that shows digital values of speed/rpm and some other important icons for example (basically repeating the primary instruments). Modern displays are extremely flat, and with all the info beeing usually available digitally , it would be no problem adding smaller displays as secondary "quickinfo" and connect it via cable with the main unit. Making the multifunction displays more ergonomical (for example rotating them 35° more towards the player ) would also help.

If this is the future, why no HUD for one periscope in the array? Car makers are experimenting with it for a long time already (not sure if and what cars have one - not my price class).

IRL secondary speed info would not be so important, because when you drive the vehicles tactically you have no need to watch your speed not go above a speed limit. You will feel it yourself if you go too fast (alternatively your comrades in the turret might complain...), because you sense it through vibrations/bumps/sound. As PC player you lack those senses and the feel of speed is very bad if you dont have the indicators showing you all the time. This is why virtual drivers need "training wheels" (like the ridiculous stabilizer setting in physx that makes it almost impossible to flip the vehicle) to reduce them flipping their vehicles over in turns at speeds that no sane person IRL would attempt. This is where the additional speedometer would really help.

Also IRL every person can move his head easily without second thought or dedicated equipment. As Gamer you require headtracking equipment and software to easily "look to the left". Another reason to place at least a secondary display where everyone can see it (in default view).

1 hour ago, Beagle said:

Lighting still is a problem, the use of NVG at night inside the interior is still mandatory in game and that's not the way it should be. There should be interiour lightsources, always, and not so much lighting from outside. It does not make sense that at night the crew compartment gets lit by street lamps.

Engine limitation. Unless they rework the lighting system to allow shadow casting from extra light sources (like it is now in dayz) this will be as good as it gets. Having shadows cast from dynamic lights would be amazing (also for making building interiors in darkness much much better) but i dont think it is going to happen.

1 hour ago, bux578 said:

Here's the MSE-3 Marid

Did the Marid lose the gunner seat? i.e. is it just a two-person vehicle now (with combined gunner/commander)?

1 hour ago, Beagle said:

Seeing that work is done for those old assets...BIS please, give us a tropical or drab olive camo sheme for the pacific NATO vehicles. The light khaki does not work at all on Tanoa or even the lush areas of Altis.

And maybe olive/khaki/tropical variants of AAF stuff too...and non-hex pattern camo for CSAT (something more "russian").

34 minutes ago, x3kj said:

Engine limitation.

But I suppose they could do something like RHS does, for interior lighting? Or use a lit up panels as they do in planes...

Random question, but isn't the Marid a Turkish vehicle? (I know it is IRL, but is it in the ingame lore?) What's the logic for the control panels being in Russian?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, x3kj said:

why no HUD for one periscope in the array?

You mean like in the position where the actual game HUD shows speed in the top left?

tMeX8qHl.png

The actual Pandur II's instrument placement isn't great either.

8*8CZ (the kind the Gorgon is based on)

OeWtVin.jpg

AFAIK this is a 6*6 with a screen replacing the control panel

mr7mQol.jpg

If looking down to one's left to read the speed is too "hardcore" for casual users, surely turning the UI off in the first place is as well

Though I'd probably argue that the driver's seat and wheel in the Gorgon is placed too far forward to have located the instruments in a more correct place, fore of the wheel. However, I imagine this is in order to get more screen space for the central vision block - which people would complain about being too small otherwise.

Marshall would stand to be improved by observing the AMV/Rosomak layout more closely (first pic is a simulator)

vT8Wggq.jpgykvyvKs.jpg

Though the speed indicator is very visible in the Marshall if you enlarge the FOV (tap [NUM -] key), with a slight reduction in the screen space offered by the vision block

• Like 2

Gorgon gunner could use the same type of MFD as Marid gunner.

That is the gunner and compass MFD, since the gunner in Gorgon doesn't have any view outside without the old 2D optic. Unless gunner has to look at commanders MFD.

1 hour ago, x3kj said:

Engine limitation.

But the new interiors already seem to have small lightsources coming from the displays (even better, they only seem to exist in interior view)

qyzh9Yu.jpg?1

Why not add a similar small lightsource to the passenger compartment? Really anything would be better than the complete darkness we have now (this applies to VTOLs etc too)

• Like 4

Ok i had a looksee now - couple of things:

• [Gorgon] Secondary dials (ampere, temp, rpm) on gorgon are pretty much unreadable unless zooming directly into them. There is quite a bit of space in their "rings", the markings could be made larger. To also make them more readable, reduce the amount of "minor markers" / the accuracy of those dials - It generally doesnt matter if it's 84 or 86°C oil temperature, as long as it's not anywhere near the critical temperature.
  • [Gorgon] Gunnerposition for the gunner himself seems to be fairly useless - there are no view ports and no display for the guns camera. Only thing he can do is check if he still has a commander or driver. It seems to be only usefull for the commander to glance over to him.
  • [Gorgon] Passenger interior (while where at it) has z-fighting issue on door hinge (to the turret) and fire extinguisher holder. Excaserbated by the frantic and nauseating head movements of the first passengers animation... (Either he is on drugs, had too much coffeine or needs to pee badly)
  • [Marid] Driver Position - pretty good Layout. When you translate the camera a bit forward it would be perfect, but the handle bar above the screen panel blocks the view on the upper part of the speed indicator.
    Spoiler

20171215235117_1rtku6.jpg

• [Gorgon & Marshall] Amperementer in a vehicle that has both minus and plus scale seems nonsense to me. Both engine alternator and battery have predefined polarity. Maybe for electrically powered vehicles that recuperate energy and show how much the motor/generator is consuming/generating.   
  • Transitioning between turned out state and turned in state leads to flicker, because as soon as turn button is pressed the gunners view mode snaps to the interior view, but the animation and fadeout lags behind. Especially noticeable on Gorgon driver turned out switching back to interior view. Either introduce time delay for switching of LOD (preferably synched to animation/fadeout), or remove the delay in turning in (undesirable imo, and propably ugly for turn in animation). Actually it's hard to tell if there is any fadeout at all, its definitely not as pronounced as for turnin out.
  • [Marshall] has external LOD issue - Possibly empty res LOD?  The model dissapears completely at some distance. When turning around near it, it is first invisible and then fades in noticeably.
  • [Marshall] seems to lack the rear of the turret exterior in gunner/com view. The air inlet/outlet to the rear on the turret exterior (or whatever it is) is not seen in the view periscope and you can see through the view periscope into the interior again when translating the head upwards and looking down.
  • [Marshall] has asphalt screeching tire sound when breaking on dirt
  • [All interior positions] I suggest looking over the head movement limits again. When moving your head position maximally in just one or all 3 axis (translation, not rotation) and then rotate the camera i noted that you can see some things you should not be supposed to see. Some unclosed faces or cut panels out of the view ports and sometimes the reverse side of the interior model or sometimes even look through the model entirely (e.g. Marshall Gunner and Commander position looking over left and right shoulder). Also, for drivers, when translating the camera maximum forward and breaking from high speed, the camera can go through the glass from the movement of the "deceleration effect" (noticed on Marid).

1 hour ago, da12thMonkey said:

You mean like in the position where the actual game HUD shows speed in the top left?

No i mean exactly what i said. :h: In the view periscope itself. Directly. Or directly below, above or next to the front facing piece. And for exactly the same reason that planes have it since ages, cars already have it (upper class) and likely in 50years when RL military finally caught up tanks as well, if we havent all been replaced by robots by then. The Game's vehicle HUD is shit when you actually need a quick read on speed. I even placed it right in the middle on the top so the distance is smaller for the eyes to jump but its still not well readable at a glance. I needed it alot during tank and airplane config tests. I got so frustrated i built my own indicator models so i can work properly.

Also, it's not just the poor position, contrast and size. It's also basic ergonomic facts: A dial indicator is much more readable than a digital number at a glance when you need to only discern much/less , fast/slow. And it's infinitely better when trying to gauge loss/gain of speed. Marshall definitely could need a secondary display like i mentioned, Gorgon would also really benefit from that. Marid has well positioned interface, it doesnt need it. And i'm predicting most existing MBT in A3 will need something like i mentioned due to main console beeing located to the side.

1 hour ago, SuicideKing said:

But I suppose they could do something like RHS does, for interior lighting? Or use a lit up panels as they do in planes...

Lit up panels do not produce any light to the surrounding. They just glow themself (self illumination quite literally). And this doesnt stop the interior from beeing illuminated by actual light sources (vehicle headlights, street lights, etc). Dynamic light sources (i.e. everything that is not the sun or moon) do not produce shadows in A3 and do not get occluded. This is the issue. They shine through every object. So if you add light in the interior and do not restrict the light sphere to completely end within the vehicle hull, it will shine through the vehicle hull. Lights from other vehicles will have visible reflection inside the interior just as well.

28 minutes ago, kecske said:

But the new interiors already seem to have small lightsources coming from the displays (even better, they only seem to exist in interior view)

It's possible to bake lighting into the texture (via self illuminated textures). It just looks the part, but isnt actual light beeing computed. It could also be a small lightsource but with really sharp falloff. Eitherway, the shadow occlusion/casting of dynamic lights is not solved to my knowledge. I would be the first to celebrate about any positive change/addition to this, cause i have tank interiors myself that need fixing.

• Like 3

Bohemia Interactive !  I learned this news just now, Thank you so much for the interiors! 

Just yesterday  it seemed to me that this would not happen in Arma 3,  but I was wrong! 

I was pleasantly mistaken... And now I'm in a pleasant shock)

This is the best update in the all history of Arma3!!!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Beagle said:

The Driver view ports should only be a backup in a 2035 combat vehicle. The excessive head movement does not help neither.

The Marshall view "slit" is so small and narrow you better don't use it at all and switch back to the 2D Texture.

About the head animation (shaking) i agree about, it is and has been pretty terrible for a long time. Many vehicle positions suffer from this. Passengers, Pilots, now Tankers as well. It just feels jerky and hyperactive instead of organic. Its like the constant face swipe animation before they patched it -> way overdone. The only reason i dont go insane from this is because i mostly work and play with my own vehicles, with custom animations that dont have the jittering.

The thing i dont agree about at all is the view slits beeing useless. Once you bind the keys for camera/head movement (translatory) they are super usefull and way better than letterbox 2D view.

Proof desired?

Letterbox:

20171215235553_1cfkmn.jpg

3D View with cam moved forward (closer to the glass) to maximize screenspace:

20171215235545_1lwkor.jpg

Note the tree on the left. You can also move the cam up+down for viewing the sky/ground. And the cream of the crop is ... zooming in:
20171215235756_1djkh6.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, da12thMonkey said:

If looking down to one's left to read the speed is too "hardcore" for casual users, surely turning the UI off in the first place is as well

It's not a matter of being "hardcore", just simple ergonomics. Same reason as to why cars usually have the dials right above the steering wheel. Here it's doubly important, because not everyone has TrackIR, so looking down and to the side is a bit more involved than IRL. Remember, these things have to be, at least in principle, able to be safely driven in normal traffic.

4 hours ago, Beagle said:

Keep in mind a lot of people will turn PiP off given the performance impact it has. So in the game the view ports need to be the primary and not the backup.

Although yeah, the head movement has to be significantly reduced/removed completely.

24 minutes ago, SuicideKing said:

Keep in mind a lot of people will turn PiP off given the performance impact it has. So in the game the view ports need to be the primary and not the backup.

Although yeah, the head movement has to be significantly reduced/removed completely.

Definitely agree with king.100% hells to the no fully mfd driving. 

I think the way they have approached it is a great compromise.  if someone can't spare the fps they can kill the pip and it won't ruin the enjoyment and vast improvement of interiors. 

Noticing the devil in the details. Moving feet on the pedals. Joysticks moving. Somebody definitely putting some love into this dlc. Honestly wasn't expecting as much effort as seen so far.

Tank dlc is shaping up so nice. 

• Like 1