I'm happy to announce my new and upcoming Soviet Russian terrain called "Tsarvana". This terrain's atmosphere and palate for buildings will be heavily influenced by Arma 2's data and will pay a certain homage to the existing Arma 2 map "Taviana". Additionally there will be custom structures implemented on the map for everyone to enjoy. The map and it's new models will all together be released as one package with a APL-SA license. This thread will be a discussion for personal thoughts on the upcoming map and WIP pics. The lore below is a wall of text but a good read if you wish to get a visual of what the terrain is about and how it may look before I post WIP pics, map layout and size details within the following weeks of this initial post.

Welcome to Tsarvana.

Tsarvana ["ZAR-vah-nah"] is a group of clustered fictional and non fictional islands in the Aral Sea governed by the Soviet Union from the early 1920s to the early 1990s. Tsarvana's name is derived from the royal monarch's abbreviation "Tsar" or "Czar". The largest island in the area, "Glavostrov" which roughly translates from "Main Land or Main Island" has been the staple of infrastructure for Tsarvana. It is populated by farmland and several towns which are overshadowed by breathtaking mountain ranges. The second largest island, "Sestradoma" which can be translated as "Sister Land or Sister Island", is a hub for travel and financial banking which is also backdropped by several mountain ranges. Additionally Sesetradoma is also a port between Glavostrov and "Aralsk-7" located on "Vozrozhdeniya Island" or "Voz Island". Voz Island is the third largest island in the Tsarvana Oblast (Oblast meaning "area"). Lastly there is "Rayon Island" which was originally used to mine minerals from the surrounding rocks and caves located on the island. Rayon Island quickly became "District 4" after "order 46" was mandated by the Soviet Union in the year of 1971.

The Soviet Union's greed and Aralsk-7.

In the early 1920s, prominent leaders of the Red Army were in search for an appropriate place to construct a science and military complex for inventing, producing, and testing bioweapons. The potential of bioweapons to quickly and cheaply kill large numbers of people was considered beneficial to the leaders' goal of expanding a proletarian revolution across the world. Initial sites discussed for this complex such as Lake Baikal, the Solovetsky Islands in the White Sea, Gorodomlya Island located on Lake Seliger, or Voz Island for short. After much deliberation, in 1948, the Soviet Union and SMWG( Soviet Microbiological Warfare Group) setup a military installation on Voz Island which was to be a top-secret Soviet bioweapons laboratory. This unnamed military complex tested a variety of agents, including anthrax, smallpox, plague, brucellosis, and tularemia. In 1954, the main site was expanded and named Aralsk-7. Aralsk-7's name is derived from the Aral Sea in which the complex was located in.

Patient Zero and the fatal flight accident.

In 1971, an accidental release of weaponized smallpox being tested on Voz Island infected ten people, of whom 3 died within the first seven days of initial contact. 6 of the other infected individuals were quarantined and survived however one managed to forgo the quarantine by passing medical examinations. It was suspected patient zero's smallpox incubation period was slightly prolonged due to their stronger immune system. However during the late 90s a investigation determined there was a situation of mishandling of patient zero's medical exams which caused the patient to be released before a diagnosis was given. After 20 days, patient zero started to receive the early symptoms of high fever, vomiting, coughing, chest pains, increased blood pressure, and increased heart rate. More severe symptoms included psychotic behavior and extreme aggression which went unnoticed for patient zero until he was aboard flight NKS914 in which patient zero was trying to travel back to Glavosrov to visit family for vacation. While during ascent patient zero became uncontrollably violent and soon began to attack flight attendants attempting to restrain him, however all efforts were futile. Later documents revealed most victims of the crash were also infected with the same strain of smallpox virus as patient zero.

The Outbreak and the cover up.

Soon after flight NKS914 was reported to have crashed, military flight crash investigators quickly arrived on the scene. They were also quick to report to the general public that flight NKS914's cabin and fuselage were ripped apart mid flight due to malfunctions which were caused by bad maintenance reporting. However conspiracy theorists pieced together a different tale of events after several reports of farmers and city civilians reported several russian mig 21's made visual contact with flight NKS914 before purportedly firing upon flight NKS914 which caused a great explosion in the sky which could be seen for several kilometers in each direction of the flight's position. A couple of weeks after the initial flight crash investigation went by there was a growing concerns that SMWG were colluding with the Soviet Government to cover up a virus outbreak. The outbreak caused victims to experience several of patient zero's symptoms before ultimately dying to said symptoms, then reanimating into zombies or what the locals called "veshchi". Which literally translates to "the things". A month went by before the Soviet government activated order 46 which mandated all people who lived in the greater Tsarvana Oblast to evacuate to District 4. District 4 was an island used during the mid 1970s as a behavioral assessment center for all employees of SMWG. However after the outbreak, it was quickly transformed into a dock for triaging potential infected and ultimately was a safe haven for victims of the outbreak. Unfortunately, some inhabitants failed to leave the main islands in which all towns were abandoned and quickly turned into ghost versions of their former selves. Additionally to this day, it is reported that many of the containers holding biological agents were not properly stored or destroyed. Over the last decade many of these containers have developed leaks. However this hasn't stopped the few that remain on the islands from scavenging and surviving the worst biological accident of the 20th century.

• Like 13

Taviana was a great map. Looking forward to a modern update!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Valken said:

Taviana was a great map. Looking forward to a modern update!

Stay tuned for progress pics this week, models are coming fresh out the oven :D

Love the back story, my imagining of the flight to Glasvosrov is terrifying...Looking forward to the pics.

TBH, I'm not too fond of the zombie stuff. Could you try not to make it too postapocalyptic (highways full of junked cars and so on)? Just regular post-Soviet decrepit poverty should do. That certainly doesn't look like a region that would take USSR's collapse too well, anyway. 

• Like 2

I hope its not too "abandoned" or "apocalyptic", I really liked how taviana used to be feasible for all kinds of scenarios, be it cold war, zombies, or everything in between. All these purpose-built post apoc terrains are cool and all but they're really restrictive. Soviet cities full of Khrushchyovka prefab apartments are always a fun sandbox. good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dragon01 said:

TBH, I'm not too fond of the zombie stuff. Could you try not to make it too postapocalyptic (highways full of junked cars and so on)? Just regular post-Soviet decrepit poverty should do. That certainly doesn't look like a region that would take USSR's collapse too well, anyway. 

41 minutes ago, wsxcgy said:

I hope its not too "abandoned" or "apocalyptic", I really liked how taviana used to be feasible for all kinds of scenarios, be it cold war, zombies, or everything in between. All these purpose-built post apoc terrains are cool and all but they're really restrictive. Soviet cities full of Khrushchyovka prefab apartments are always a fun sandbox. good luck!

It won't be zombie/apocalyptic based. It will be specifically based on its own story which does NOT include a ton of wrecked vehicles/overgrown cities.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ANixon said:

It won't be zombie/apocalyptic based. It will be specifically based on its own story which does NOT include a ton of wrecked vehicles/overgrown cities.

Exactly what ANixon said. This terrain will only incur a few mount of wrecks. It will not be overgrown. The theme and atmosphere of the map will embody the USSR and what it stood for. 

I also forgot to introduce the rest of the team working on the map which I'll include in the intial post.

Current Developers;

Killjoy

Anixon

AxiosODST

Andrew

BigBen

• Like 2

This sounds awesome! Though the Aral Sea seems like it will be...challenging.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Polyus said:

This sounds awesome! Though the Aral Sea seems like it will be...challenging.

I promise it will be as visually stunning as the lore describes it. As soon as I'll be able to, progress pics will be posted.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Killjoyy said:

I promise it will be as visually stunning as the lore describes it. As soon as I'll be able to, progress pics will be posted.

I don't doubt that! Just, dpending on when you'll be depicting it, it'll either be in the Aral Sea or Aral Pond #1283.

14 hours ago, Polyus said:

I don't doubt that! Just, dpending on when you'll be depicting it, it'll either be in the Aral Sea or Aral Pond #1283.

Heightmap is currently being reworked from it's first iteration over a year ago. I don't mean to hype it this hard but, Anixon is doing great. So is Andrew with the new models.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zhivets said:

Sounds very interesting. Will keep my eye on this.

a little off-topic however it's great how you have posted way more quality content than I have on the forums and we have the same signup date LOL. I need to step it up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

those screenshots you posted are amazing!

btw will the heightmap be the one you showed me awhile ago?

5 hours ago, crazy mike said:

those screenshots you posted are amazing!

btw will the heightmap be the one you showed me awhile ago?

No a brand new heightmap is in the works tho!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Polyus said:

Err, what screenshots?

Probably a lil' private joke between friends...

On 12/17/2017 at 12:11 PM, Polyus said:

Err, what screenshots?

ScreenShot_6.png

a quick preview of the height map in Wc2.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Agentep97 said:

Any updates on the map? :happy:

Do not ask for updates, it's against the forum rules. 

• Thanks 1

Is this project now abandoned? Not asking for any progress or release but its been a while and no posts from KillJoyy

1 hour ago, fdarabont said:

Is this project now abandoned? Not asking for any progress or release but its been a while and no posts from KillJoyy

He's a busy man working in many different projects. Not to mention it's a hobby donein free time!

• Like 2