Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

Simple but effective Magazine repack

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I know it's been a topic before, I think at least it was. I would like to ask if it is possible to add a simple and easy to use way that allow players to refill/repack their used magazines? Very often I end up having multiple used and half empty mags in my inventory that become not only useless in a CQC situation but also dangerous and I can not trust in my weapon as much anymore.

 

It's about realism, or maybe the "simulation" aspect I'm missing a little. And I hardly believe it is THAT complicated to realize. Just a simple thing like drag&drop one magazine over another and one gets filled... It's simple but a real life changer!

 

Overall I'd like to imagine having an option to fill your magazine by your likings, like I can sort myself what round come in what order. Like I want every 3 rounds to be a tracer, or a green tracer and the next one is a red one, or I want 5 rounds super sonic, 5 subsonic...

 

Maybe you have a change to do something like that :)

 

LJ

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I know there's no way to manipulate which round is a tracer, not even via config.

You can only define if every n round is a tracer and how many of the last rounds will be tracers.

You can't make 2 regular rounds followed by 2 tracers as example.

 

Even a simple repack of dragging a mag with 10/30 rounds over a mag with 15/30 rounds to result in a mag with 25/30 rounds is pretty cumbersome to make and currently not/barely possible via put/take eventhandlers.

 

I'd love to see something like this myself, I guess it's a bigger incision to get something like this working, especially since it's not possible even via config.

 

One can only hope.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

From what I know there's no way to manipulate which round is a tracer, not even via config.

You can only define if every n round is a tracer and how many of the last rounds will be tracers.

You can't make 2 regular rounds followed by 2 tracers as example.

 

Even a simple repack of dragging a mag with 10/30 rounds over a mag with 15/30 rounds to result in a mag with 25/30 rounds is pretty cumbersome to make and currently not/barely possible via put/take eventhandlers.

 

I'd love to see something like this myself, I guess it's a bigger incision to get something like this working, especially since it's not possible even via config.

 

One can only hope.

 

Cheers

 

Damn, your name suits you, grumpy man, hehe :P Lets keep hoping. Maybe a Dev can posts a few minor words about this? If nothing helps, maybe its an option for ArmA4 ;)

 

LJ

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

check my sig to see how simple a mag repack script can be

 

https://github.com/auQuiksilver/Apex-Framework/blob/master/Apex_framework_beta_100.Tanoa/code/functions/fn_clientRepackMagazines.sqf

 

^ If BIS wants to implement that ingame as a script function they have my permission to do so :) mission makers could then call it where/when they want, such as key combo or menu button.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool! 

 

Can you explain that script a little and how it works and what it does? And as mentioned above, what if you merge two Magazines that have each five tracer as last rounds? 

 

Maybe this could be made a mod and placed as a module in the editor. Even more easy. 

 

LJ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LordJarhead said:

Cool! 

 

Can you explain that script a little and how it works and what it does? And as mentioned above, what if you merge two Magazines that have each five tracer as last rounds? 

 

Maybe this could be made a mod and placed as a module in the editor. Even more easy. 

 

LJ 

 

the above script just counts the bullets in same magazines (strict comparison), counts them, then removes both and replaces with an identical mag with the correct ammo count. is strict comparison by classname, doesnt check bullet type or tracer or anything, just simple mag repack.

 

As a player,

 

to execute we have [Lctrl] + [Reload key], and player goes into the familiar "heal yourself" animation, same anim that is used for other stuff like vehicle repair. feels very vanilla.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is also Enhanced Arma 3 Inventory mod, which also adds useful indicators for item armor stats. Very seamless addon. Repacking is done in vanilla Arma 3 inventory menu via double click on desired magazine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys, I think that's great. But honestly it's a thing that belongs into such a game, at least in my opinion. And there should be a separation between magazine and ammunition, like you have a package of 50 9mm FHJ and can pack each magazine and fill it yourself. 

 

But that's just a wish I think :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

 

the above script just counts the bullets in same magazines (strict comparison), counts them, then removes both and replaces with an identical mag with the correct ammo count. is strict comparison by classname, doesnt check bullet type or tracer or anything, just simple mag repack.

 

As a player,

 

to execute we have [Lctrl] + [Reload key], and player goes into the familiar "heal yourself" animation, same anim that is used for other stuff like vehicle repair. feels very vanilla.

For me, I actually don't mind if they impliment something this simple into the game. Whilst someone did mention problems like the last few tracer rounds, I personally don't mind that. There is always some make-believe involved, and to me I'd be happy to turn a blind eye to those tracers.

 

On another note, does anyone knows for sure how ammo is counted in magazine ingame? I don't think they have information about what rounds are there, is that right? They just turn bullets into tracers when there are only a few rounds left?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LordJarhead said:

You guys, I think that's great. But honestly it's a thing that belongs into such a game, at least in my opinion. And there should be a separation between magazine and ammunition, like you have a package of 50 9mm FHJ and can pack each magazine and fill it yourself. 

 

But that's just a wish I think :(

 

Yeah, I absolutely agree! It really is needed in vanilla game but until then we'll just have to do with the scripts/mods.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not really about subject but..

INS sandstorm alpha -- staged reloading:

I really love how NWI making fps games..their approach is top notch.

 

I always wanted to manipulate reloading, something like this for arma and create a mod but there is no eventhandler to do it. "reloaded" only fires after some new mag gets reloaded. My idea was to make a "speed reload" just like GOW on console, I really like the idea that with a simple UI indicator, catching the small area in reload to finish it faster. Later Alien Swarm (free hl2 modification) also used it.

 

Now in insurgency, you probably just dump a "dummy" mag to the ground although nobody knows yet if there is going to be inventory system. By default you reload the heaviest - most full - mag in insurgency and there is no repack. And with this mechanic, you simply can throw a mag out that you think it is close to empty. THIS kind of reload mechanic is a must and arma is really, really behind.

 

back to arma, game still lacks proper interaction and inventory management. hell, there is no grenade cooking in vanilla game.

Edited by goko--
added some text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2018 at 2:44 AM, goko-- said:

I really love how NWI making fps games..their approach is top notch.

 

This is very good firearm simulation. I agree, but probably needs a game engine, or inventory system that supports this on a completely different level than ArmA 3.

 

On 1/14/2018 at 2:44 AM, goko-- said:

there is no grenade cooking in vanilla game.

 

While grenade cooking came to be in early games like call of duty etc, I really have to ask. Is this an urban legend or actual tactic?

 

Can anyone with real grenade practice comment on this? I always felt it was very hollywood-ish to cook grenades, seeing that fuse-reliability/production differences are always a risk.

It is a risk that jeopardizes you and your teammates, at the only advantage of giving the enemy less time to react. You are still clearing the room or area and forcing the enemy to retreat or suffer the consequences.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/01/2018 at 4:55 PM, Strike_NOR said:

While grenade cooking came to be in early games like call of duty etc, I really have to ask. Is this an urban legend or actual tactic?

 

 You can't just throw a grenade with 5 second fuse to the other room. it will get tossed back to you unless you cook it. It's not something happened in COD game, this is real life situation as far as I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, goko-- said:

this is real life situation as far as I know.

 

On 1/15/2018 at 2:55 PM, Strike_NOR said:

Can anyone with real grenade practice comment on this?

 

Have you been taught this in the military? 

 

By design, the safety-handle (which releases the firing pin to trigger the fuse) is designed to arm the grenade AFTER it leaves your hand. To cook the grenade in real life, you would have to use both hands to arm it, or be really cool-headed to release the handle with the same hand you are holding the grenade in. The potential to screw up is huge. And, if the fuse is bad, it could explode much faster, or later than you hoped for.

 

I am just trying to get an answer if this is actual recommended practice in any armed forces.

 

 

To get back on topic though, I think the simplest possible form of magazine repack would be do let magazines of the exact same type merge by user action.

Super-useful for those of us who likes to reload between encounters to always have 30 rnds (or whatever) available if needed. 

 

I think being able to combine different ammo types (5.56 FMJ, vs 5.56 tracer, or 5.56 subsonic) into the same mag is impossible. Therefore, a poor workaround may also be counter-intuitive. Let's say you have 15 tracer rounds, 10 regular and 5 subsonic. It would be rather lame if you combined the three mags into one mag of pure 5.56 tracer? Realistically speaking the magazine should contain 15 + 10 + 5 bullets of different types.

 

Therefore the simplest way I see, while keeping some form of realism, is to combine mags of the same type.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×