mcnools

M'Wagda (African Terrain) Source-files (for anyone willing to take over)

About a year ago (and a few months) I started working on a terrain that was supposed to be an african terrain with a somewhat mixed geography (savannas, swamps, some mountains etc.). Unfortunately, due to a lack of time and energy (lots of other things going on and terrain-making is very time consuming) I've been forced to realize I won't finish the project (after not working on it since sometime this spring if I remember correctly), now, I don't want all the work I did to go to waste, and I'd love to see the map finished, so I figured I'd put the word out there if anyone wants to continue the work.

So far I set up a basic satmap and heightmap and had started to add more detail to the terrain in some areas using L3DT (mostly around a long ridgeline in the center of the map and some areas way down south), but more work on the heightmap is required if the map is going to look good/be interesting to play on (it's far too smooth in most areas now, and a lot of the dry riverbeds don't look too good). I was also planning a very large swamp in an area along the river which looks ugly right now but with some more work on both heightmap and satmap could probably look good.

Anyway, the folder with all the source-files and the work so far is around 8gb so I'd probably need to set up a torrent for anyone who wants to continue the work, if anyone is interested let me know. You can either just use the existing work to create a map of your own ideas (the terrain is very versatile and could probably be used for various settings as long as it's somewhere with a few deserts), I can also share some of my ideas about how certain areas would look like etc.

For anyone who wants to take a look I uploaded a working version of the map, of course it's far from finished but at least you can fly around and have a look of the general feel and satmap etc.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15AQM01pZ9ZUKFpBPgdEqXqavt6vzoWkT/view

(download in the top right corner).

Anyway, here are some screenshots of the terrain: https://imgur.com/a/mP6M4

gRD2nab.jpg

k3z0cWq.jpg

qHCkZBv.jpgXHezC0Q.jpg

iwbgWsr.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, mcnools said:

Anyway, the folder with all the source-files and the work so far is around 8gb so I'd probably need to set up a torrent for anyone who wants to continue the work, if anyone is interested let me know. You can [...] just use the existing work to create a map of your own ideas (the terrain is very versatile and could probably be used for various settings as long as it's somewhere with a few deserts).

I'm interested, although my map-making skills are close to non-existent.

I've been looking for good terrains without structures nor roads for various science-fiction projects, and it looks like what you have so far is exactly what I need.

With a bit of work on the configs and clutter placement, this could even turn into a nice alternative to the Strange New Worlds by Bushlurker (RIP). Of course, that would be a totally different direction from your original project, and I would understand if you prefer sticking to the African thema. ;)

Not sure how much I could do by meself (depends on how advanced your project is), but I can definitely help with configs.

1 minute ago, haleks said:

I'm interested, although my map-making skills are close to non-existent.

I've been looking for good terrains without structures nor roads for various science-fiction projects, and it looks like what you have so far is exactly what I need.

With a bit of work on the configs and clutter placement, this could even turn into a nice alternative to the Strange New Worlds by Bushlurker (RIP). Of course, that would be a totally different direction from your original project, and I would understand if you prefer sticking to the African thema. ;)

Not sure how much I could do by meself (depends on how advanced your project is), but I can definitely help with configs.

It might work for something like that but it does have a few roads/houses/farms in the satellite texture. Eventually if noone is interested in turning it into a african terrain (or something else more 'ambitious') I'll probably try to just put the files out there so anyone can do whatever they please with it :) haha

In any case, an judging by the screens, the source materials look very good, I hope they will be put to good use. ;)

• Like 1

I and a few friends of mine would be very interested in finishing this for a nice African terrain. What is the current size of the terrain if you don't mind me asking?

It's 15360x15360 metres I believe (around 15.36x15.36 Km) on it's current settings. Do you have any previous map editing experience? :)

(I believe that it's about the size as chernarus, so it's not a quick job! haha)

Here are a couple of screenshots taken in terrainbuilder, first one showing the heightmap, you can see where the swamp should be here, and also you should be able to see what areas I've started adding more detail to, as you can tell some areas look really "smooth" and that's not very fun ingame, if one is to finish this map I suggest getting the hang of a program such as L3DT (which has a free trial period I belive) and raise/lower terrain where it looks appropriate on the sattelite map (cliffs, riverbeds etc.) and also add a slight "perlin noise" over areas to make the terrain a bit more uneven (I have some settings for this I can help out with).

The other screenshots show the overall look of the satmap. I will try to upload a working version of the map that you can load in ArmA 3 and fly around to see how the terrain looks ingame yourself, might get around to it this evening.

kyItJXS.png

T6QPXF4.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcnools said:

snip snip

Ok awesome thats a good size man. Yes my friend and I have some map making experience but not a ton. I helped with a map the 15th (not sure if you know about them but they were a big realism unit I used to be in) was making but I don't think they finished it ever, I mainly did work on the sat map and height map using L3DT, I certainly still have a lot to learn about terrain building though so any help or pointers would be much appreciated. My friend is pretty new to arma map building but he's been wanting to get into it for a couple months and I've taught him a few things that I could but this would be a good learning project for the both of us to do. We are both perfectionists so we'd like to make this a nice and high quality terrain and my friend has a lot of experience with texture editing and has done a few private mods for Arma, I can PM you my steam and a TS server if you wanna talk to both of us sometime.

9 hours ago, SFC Halverson said:

Ok awesome thats a good size man. Yes my friend and I have some map making experience but not a ton. I helped with a map the 15th (not sure if you know about them but they were a big realism unit I used to be in) was making but I don't think they finished it ever, I mainly did work on the sat map and height map using L3DT, I certainly still have a lot to learn about terrain building though so any help or pointers would be much appreciated. My friend is pretty new to arma map building but he's been wanting to get into it for a couple months and I've taught him a few things that I could but this would be a good learning project for the both of us to do. We are both perfectionists so we'd like to make this a nice and high quality terrain and my friend has a lot of experience with texture editing and has done a few private mods for Arma, I can PM you my steam and a TS server if you wanna talk to both of us sometime.

Sounds good! unfortunately I haven't really done any mapmaping for ArmA 3 (apart from editing the heightmap and importing it into terrainbuilder) and I haven't worked on any map properly since Neaville for ArmA 2 so I don't know how much advice I can give, but there are other people who know a lot, there's a skype-group for terrainbuilders as well. It's good to hear that you've done stuff in L3DT as well, this map really needs more heightmap detail (and doing that in terrainbuilder is.. tedious to say the least) so working a lot on the heightmap etc. before actually starting to add objects to it is probably a good idea! PM me your steam ID and TS server and we'll have some sort of meeting!

CPT J. Shaw: The height/satmap is based off an island east of somalia, actually used data from it in my old aliabad-terrain aswell.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ineptaphid said:

Is the island you mentioned Socotra? 

I believe so yes! used it since there's not that much human influence on it (farms, cities etc.) so you don't have to take that into consideration when editing the satmap etc.

Edit: Updated the original post with a download link for those who wants to take a look at the current terrain and sattelite imagery, nothing else is there yet.

• Like 3

We desperately need more African maps for the ARMA community.  Really hope someone picks this up.  So many scenario possibilities in Somalia, Nigeria, Chad, Mali, etc.  Nice looking early shots as well.

Have you reached out to IceBreakr?

• Like 2

It's no Tonali , but if I can run around in it doing bush conflicts I love it

On 12/6/2017 at 9:51 PM, autigergrad said:

We desperately need more African maps for the ARMA community.  Really hope someone picks this up.  So many scenario possibilities in Somalia, Nigeria, Chad, Mali, etc.  Nice looking early shots as well.

Have you reached out to IceBreakr?

Sorry man, I would love to take this project but... so many other things on my hands, including terrains that still need to be released: Balkania, Rowalla (African Sierra Leone map), Keystone USA, Tonal Reloaded, etc....

• Like 2

Awesome looking terrain McNools! I still play Hazar Kot and Alibad to this day (thanks to the people at CUP) and would love to see someone else picking up this project.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitesrad said:

Awesome looking terrain McNools! I still play Hazar Kot and Alibad to this day (thanks to the people at CUP) and would love to see someone else picking up this project.

Things are in motion for a couple of guys to take it over, so we'll see what happens! Thanks for still playing and enjoying my old maps! :)

• Like 1