Sign in to follow this  
FallenPaladin

New move - feign death

While playing OFP MP yesterday I was running to the battlefield, because there were no more vehicles at the respawn zone, when a hostile chopper flow towards me. I hasted under the nearest tree and got prone, praying for not to be seen. I was a lucky one and survived. biggrin.gif

Such occasions happen very often in MP, situations in which I`d like to have the chance of a new move, for example one in which you feign death. Could be a button that leads to a death animation and leaves you like death on the ground. But you wouldn`t have any blood on you, so that a good watcher could see that you`re just faking. And you would have to grab your gun again and it would take a sec or two to get up again.

What do you think of my idea? Could it be implented in the next update?

this could be realized with a script.

you make a new command "feign death" in the action menue. if you activate it your soldier will perform a Oscar-worth death animation. tounge.gif

something with NAME switchmove "FXStandDeadVar1" or so. smile.gif

hmmm i doubt this command exists in this form. biggrin.gif

Yup, I know I could realize that move with a script, but it should be done officially. Otherwise it would be seen as cheating! confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Dec. 01 2002,11:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yup, I know I could realize that move with a script, but it should be done officially. Otherwise it would be seen as cheating!  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

it wouldn't be cheating if missionmakers give this function to every player on the MP battlefield. wink.gif

but it would be cool if BIS includes this idea as a proper part of the game and makes this trick working with AI, too. smile.gif

Yeah, I like this idea! It`s not hard to realize (AND realistic) , but it would refreshen the battles enormously! biggrin.gif

Imagine the thrill when have to you observe any body if he`s still alive... *shiver* tounge.giftounge.gif

would be quite easy to trick. you just have to ask someone to injure you. or throw a granade near enough so that you get injured, then lay down and wait till someone arrives and turns his back to you. then get up and shoot. tounge.gifbiggrin.gif

i always shoot dead people becuz i can't make the difference between proning people and dead bodies from far away biggrin.gif

good idea though

surely if you were hiding from a chopper just going prone would make you look dead?

I'd just go prone and stay still

it can work, but it depends how low and slow they are flying, id much prefer it for when you are shot at, and near a bush, sometimes just diving prone can make them think they got you... others, they keep on shooting, but if they see you "die" and drop more convincingly, maybe they would let it slip?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jamesia @ Dec. 01 2002,12:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">surely if you were hiding from a chopper just going prone would make you look dead?

I'd just go prone and stay still<span id='postcolor'>

Just getting prone and laying still is normal infantry procedure. It can help against a fast flying chopper, but normally they see that you are only prone. But with a new move you could do great ambushes in village combat in addition to a better chance to survive airial attacks.

Even in real life many soldiers have survived battle only because they feigned death. There are also examples in movies, take Platoon in the ending sequence.

Its a good idea in theory, however in practice it will be most probably misused.

For example a group of twelve human soldiers are running towards a flag(or something). They hear one shot from the enemy, and everyone falls to the floor feining death. This is of course what would happen... Now i doubt whether it would fool even the dumbest of ofp players...

Another thing you can usually tell when youve shot someone and when you know youve missed a couple of people and you see that everyone is dead... expect mortar fire or excessive mgun fire on everyone.

and yet another thing. In multiplayer when you kill someone it tells you. Now when you see someone drop, and it doesnt count as a kill, something in your brain would tell you he is faking it tounge.gif

The army doesnt train you to fein death. Its looked upon as an act of cowardness and if a higher officer saw you doing it on the battlefield, he would probably slap you tounge.gif

The only way this could be be implemented properly into the game is if the blackops and spetznatz were the only men capable of performing it, because it is more likely that they would do such a thing and even then it would most probably be misused ingame.

If it was ever introduced i doubt whether they would would do it in OFP. perhaps the sequel? This is because of all the ai issues and it would be hard putting it all into the campaigns...

Anyway just some of my thoughts biggrin.gif

I don't like it. It would wreak havoc onto MP. Just seing abunch of dead bodies laying around, and you have to shoot them all to make sure it's clear.

Feign death was a nice option in TFC, but in OFP I don't think so. I mean, how many soldiers would just play dead on a battlefield?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Dec. 01 2002,13:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jamesia @ Dec. 01 2002,12:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">surely if you were hiding from a chopper just going prone would make you look dead?

I'd just go prone and stay still<span id='postcolor'>

Just getting prone and laying still is normal infantry procedure. It can help against a fast flying chopper, but normally they see that you are only prone. But with a new move you could do great ambushes in village combat in addition to a better chance to survive airial attacks.

Even in real life many soldiers have survived battle only because they feigned death. There are also examples in movies, take Platoon in the ending sequence.<span id='postcolor'>

FFAR Rockets is a solution biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Dec. 01 2002,17:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't like it.  It would wreak havoc onto MP.  Just seing abunch of dead bodies laying around, and you have to shoot them all to make sure it's clear.

Feign death was a nice option in TFC, but in OFP I don't think so.  I mean, how many soldiers would just play dead on a battlefield?<span id='postcolor'>

hehe, yeah it worked in tfc cos you had to be a spy wink.gif

i agree 100% it would unbalance gameplay completely

as lowlevelfunctionary posted, in MP it's almost useless.

on the side note i've use bodies as shields in some occasions. i go prone near a dead body and sometimes the enemy has hard time distinguishing me, or if they are sloppy eith aiming, the dead body takes the bullet.

Hehe Ralph, I play some really tiny maps, and that works great. On top of a building, around a bunch of dead bodies. They almost need to law the building to get me smile.gif Soooo many dead bodies they get pumped full of lead instead of me.

ok it wouldn't work in MP, but it would be a good feature in SP games where you're a blackop or something. of course the AI needs a script, too. otherwise they'd shoot you. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ Dec. 01 2002,19:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok it wouldn't work in MP, but it would be a good feature in SP games where you're a blackop or something. of course the AI needs a script, too. otherwise they'd shoot you. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

yeah i guess for blackop missions, but if you gave the same option available to the AI the only problem would be to make them do it properly...  What i mean is that you would have to avoid them either doing it too often, or not at all....

I don't like the idea but if you were to do it, it must have a serious drawback. the drawback should be that you DROP YOUR WEAPON when you feign death.

They should also implement a drag body movement, so you can hide yourself in a pile of dead bodies.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ Dec. 01 2002,23:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't like the idea but if you were to do it, it must have a serious drawback.  the drawback should be that you DROP YOUR WEAPON when you feign death.<span id='postcolor'>

Of course that should happen, I think I mentioned it in one of my first posts. You would play a death animation and loose your weapon, maybe even being only able to watch onto the ground. And it would take you two secs or so to get up again and then you`d have to grab your gun again.

Because of this I don`t think it would be missused to often. If I fired a shot at a group of five guys and all of them would "die", I`d laugh and then give all of them the final shot through the brains, before any of them could get up again. tounge.gif

It's a nice idea, but it would get misused alot. I can imagine alot of players doing it just for the thrill of hearing enemy soldiers walk by not noticing, and being all sneaky.

It would completely ruin the principle strategy of the game. See the enemy soldier, kill the enemy soldier.

With this, you would have to worry about all sorts of other things. Do all the dead look right, etc...

In MP I used to just go prone, aim down in the ground (so the rifle gets almost invisible), hold "Alt"-key and use 3rd-person view.

With this method i tricked many tanks, helis (and even infanty some times when it get busy).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acecube @ Dec. 02 2002,08:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In MP I used to just go prone, aim down in the ground (so the rifle gets almost invisible), hold "Alt"-key and use 3rd-person view.

With this method i tricked many tanks, helis (and even infanty some times when it get busy).<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah! a much better solution and as with your idea, the crews have to look closely to know the difference. Why add a move that would get misused when you can nearly do the same thing and in Resistance you can drop your weapon which also adds to the "look" wink.gif