Sycholic

Arma + Threadripper + hyperthreading option leads to artifacts

Not sure if anyone has tried or reported this.  Apparently when I apply the 'hyperthreading' (aka multi-threading option) start to get blinking/artifacts dealing with shadows with my 1950x TR.  Should I be using this option for a non Intel or not? if not, am I multithreading still?  Given I got 16cores/32threads to use, brings up a important question as to if arma can even effectively use my CPU to it's fullest or does the game need to be updated for even this possiblity?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Instead of HT try with -cpuCount=33 or 34

• Like 1

I have it all the way down to 8 currently and it still barely loads up those cores so Im happy with it... if its actually multi threading, that I cant tell.

Arma has 98% of its load on a single CPU core. More than 2 CPU core's doesn't help you in any way. You need high single-threaded performance.

All the above is true. You need higher IPC per core, and higher MHZ per core to really make ARMA fly.

The good thing is that with your cpu, you can run a bunch of dedicated servers and connect to it on the same machine. That is one way to get more performance.

Run a dedicated server for a coop mission and connect to it and pretend it is single player. The dedicated server process will run the AI and game code while your client will take care of the rendering at full speed. Just make sure you have enough RAM to run both process in x64 mode.

Until BIS develops a fully multithreading script and AI component for their engine, the best cpu are the highest clocked with the best IPC. That means Intel 6x00K, 7x00K or 8x00K series for now.

Well what is the point of assigning extra threads then? for me it seems its loaded across 4 cores 40% and 1 at 90-100ish.  but this kinda got off topic I was just wondering if the HT option had any factor with multithreading AMDs and if so it has some issues....