bardosy

Reinstalling Arma 3 for a different drive (how to save data)

I'm prepareing for Tac-Ops DLC, so I bought an SSD drive for arma3. I want to reinstall the game to this new drive. My basic plan is easy: uninstall arma3 by Steam client and install arma3 by Steam client on the new drive.

But arma3 has a lot of config and setting and save and init file all over my PC. And I don't want to lose data.

1. I didn't change windows settings, so My Documents and AppLow folders stay on the original drive.

2. When I uninstall arma 3 by steam client, is it delete the saves at My Documents? Do I need to make a backup before uninstall?

3. When I uninstall arma 3 by steam client, is it delete the graphical settings and the custom keybindings? Do I need to make a backup before uninstall? (if yes, where are those files?)

4. When I uninstall arma 3 by steam client, is it delete the launcher defaults (eg, how many core in my CPU, how many RAM I want to add the exe)? Do I need to make a backup before uninstall? (if yes, where are those files?)

5. When I uninstall arma 3 by steam client, is it delete the mods (both workshop and 3rd party downloads)? If I made a backup, workshop will recognize those and not start to redownload the huge ones?

6. What I forgot to backup? What I will lose if I reinstall?

Please help me in this!

Hi Bardosy

Backup everything.

34 minutes ago, bardosy said:

4. When I uninstall arma 3 by steam client, is it delete the launcher defaults (eg, how many core in my CPU, how many RAM I want to add the exe)? Do I need to make a backup before uninstall? (if yes, where are those files?)

Make a shortcut on your desktop of the launcher and then it will save all your settings, when you move the launcher if you need to, to your SSD then just right click the desktop shortcut and change the path location to the arma3.exe

36 minutes ago, bardosy said:

5. When I uninstall arma 3 by steam client, is it delete the mods (both workshop and 3rd party downloads)? If I made a backup, workshop will recognize those and not start to redownload the huge ones?

Favorite your steam workshop mods that way you can reinstall them when you subscribe to them, backup your zipped mods, its most likely that mods will be removed i cant say i never unistalled the game.

Another way around this is to clone your HDD to your SSD and you wont lose a thing, other then needing to relink your steam folder to steam.

In Steam client, at the Arma3 properties, under the local files tab, I found a 'Move install folder' button.

Its currently move my arma3 from hdd to ssd. I hope it didnt temper with my settings and mods, because its not a reinstall.

I will report how it works, when finished and tested.

EDIT:

It's almost works. The Launcher forgot everything: not just its settings, but the MODs too. I dont understand, but it shows all of the workshop mods as corrupt except two. But it lost all local mods connection (I guess I have to ling it manually). But I dont know how to relink the workshop mods. The mods are there (Steam client move those too to the SSD), but only two of them is recognizabled, the others are marked as "corrupt".

But Arma 3 keep its settings: GFX and keybindings too.

Offtopic: SSD add a little speed boost to start the game or open a mission, but not as many as I hoped. But don't worry. So now Im ready for the Tac-Ops DLC.

Edited by bardosy
I tested the arma 3 on the new drive

I did it simple. All files copied to the new data disk. Changed the old disk volume letter. Changed the new disk volume letter with the old one.

• Like 1