Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

[Poll] Number of mods requested for usermade missions

Number of mods requested for usermade missions  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How many mods are you willing to accept to download (or subscribe to) to play a usermade mission?

• Under 5
    • Under 10
    • I don't mind how many mods are requested
    • Other (please specify)
  2. 2. Are there some mission you didn't try / play because of the number of requested mods?

3. 3. Do you think requesting a lot of mods can prevent some people from playing a mission?

Hi guys.

Creating this poll because

1) it can be an interesting information for any mission maker

2) there are sometimes some missions on the WS that could be interesting but too many mods are requested (IMHO).

So, just wanted to know what you think about that.

• Like 2

Usually only one, and only if it's (in my opinion) a good one. Not counting these huge packages (RHS, etc), which have a few dependencies, though.

If someone wants me to download a very specific weapon, just so I can play the mission, then it must be a hella good one to make me bother.

2 minutes ago, lexx said:

Usually only one, and only if it's (in my opinion) a good one. Not counting these huge packages (RHS, etc), which have a few dependencies, though.

If someone wants me to download a very specific weapon, just so I can play the mission, then it must be a hella good one to make me bother.

Yes, I see what you mean: for example, a mission with CUP, it's at least 4 mods (CBA, CUP weapons, units and vehicles) but as these are dependencies...

If a mission isnt fun, mods aren't going to improve it...

usually if i add mods its only after starting to enjoy the mission

• Like 1

If a mission maker really wants to use a certain asset, but it isn't strictly necessary for the mission, then a simple script can help out: Just check if mod x has been installed and activated, then replace gear accordingly. Works pretty well, imo, and makes all folks happy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

If a mission isnt fun, mods aren't going to improve it...

usually if i add mods its only after starting to enjoy the mission

Yes, but as a player, you can't know that when you see a mission with many mods: you have to get them all before playing it.

2 minutes ago, lexx said:

If a mission maker really wants to use a certain asset, but it isn't strictly necessary for the mission, then a simple script can help out: Just check if mod x has been installed and activated, then replace gear accordingly. Works pretty well, imo, and makes all folks happy.

Agreed.

But I don't think many mission maker use that option.

3 minutes ago, wiki said:

Yes, but as a player, you can't know that when you see a mission with many mods: you have to get them all before playing it.

i dont play any missions that use dependences, ymmv tho

when I see "Requires CBA" or some other requirement, I click away, though perhaps im in a minority

Just as with anything: preview screens/videos and (IMHO most important) word of mouth.

Positive word of mouth is generated by mission quality.

Mods or no mods is really a tertiary concern at best.

OFP and AA had (IMHO) the best user-made SP missions/campaigns - and those usually required tons of mods or a total mod.

Still worth every MB of spent traffic!

EDiT: and that's w/o Steam Workshop - analog mod install. One. By. One. :drinking:

I can say that I have passed on downloading many missions because of the mod requirements.

I just recently finished creating my first mission (I will publish it at some point) and it was important to me that it required no mods so it would be accessible to everyone without downloading any mods. 

Ok, the results are quite interesting.

All-in-all: it doesn't bother people to play missions that require mods, but not too many othewise they'll skip it.

Anything that forces to waste 10 min of preparations for 3 weapons and a brand new goggles is descarted. In general I try to stay only with CUP, RHS and a few other small ones from myself or others, valuable and tied to the game, not to a particular mission. Also, CBA is forbidden, AI ones, in reality most of them.

A3 has a big problem with mods, starting from the abuse, versioning, obsolescence of missions and so on. There is a massive amount of content unusable due to incompatibilities or obsolescence, for example.

49 minutes ago, VanZant said:

Anything that forces to waste 10 min of preparations for 3 weapons and a brand new goggles is descarted. In general I try to stay only with CUP, RHS and a few other small ones from myself or others, valuable and tied to the game, not to a particular mission. Also, CBA is forbidden, AI ones, in reality most of them.

A3 has a big problem with mods, starting from the abuse, versioning, obsolescence of missions and so on. There is a massive amount of content unusable due to incompatibilities or obsolescence, for example.

Well, if you use CUP, you have to use CBA.

Agree for the AI mods, they break the mission very often.

And yes, your last point is definitely a problem - but it's up to mission maker to update their work.