Sign in to follow this  
Ixian

Lack of quality missions.

Lately I find that there has been a serious lack of quality SP and Co-op missions released.  Specifically missions for Resistance.  Most are Soviets and NATO.  The majority of missions out there are poorly made.  I tried to make my own l337 mission but I know jack about scripting, cutscenes, talking etc.  SO its not worth the effort really.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ixian @ Nov. 30 2002,19:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Lately I find that there has been a serious lack of quality SP missions released.  Specifically missions for Resistance.  Most are Soviets and NATO.  The majority of missions out there are poorly made.  I tried to make my own l337 mission but I know jack about scripting, cutscenes, talking etc.  SO its not worth the effort really.<span id='postcolor'>

Then you haven't looked hard enough. If you want something that has nice movie cutscenes and good scripts, try my "Harbinger" mission at the URL in my signature below. It features an impressive HALO insertion and is a decent mission.

My best mission is probably the "Chechnya in the Winter" mission but that only works for version 1.46 unfortunately. I plan on eventually updating that one to work in the new Winter Nogochev addon by Kegetys. That one has really extensive movie cutscenes, advanced scripting, and special effects. My Blackhawk Down mission also likewise is similar in scope, but again it works only for 1.46. I'm waiting for someone to make a decent Somalia map before I upgrade that one.

Also I have a new one called "Operation Condor" that uses some of the latest addons and has really good cut-scenes.... however the mission itself is just average... but still very fun with lots of good close quarters combat in the town of Lipany (I think that it's name) along with some nasty surprises to keep things interesting. Screen shots of the airborne insertion part of the mission (via Antonov 124 aircraft) can be found at: http://www.geocities.com/miles_teggd/SPETSNAZ.html

It features custom sounds, custom voices, (which in some parts uses Wave2Lip sync), and a nice movie intro with powerful music. The beginning of the mission is also really heart pounding with music that really adds to the mood of doing a low-level insertion...plus the size of the Antonov and seeing it skimming the ground flanked by two Su-25 frogfoot aircraft is rather impressive. Also it uses the new BTR-70 addon (either version 1 or version 2).

There are a few minor bugs (it sometimes gives a missing addon) but just ignore that and continue on as it should work fine regardless. I plan on fixing that shortly.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Who gives a flying f..k about sp missions. MP is keeping the game alive.

Thanks Turms thats a great site with some good looking missions.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Goeth[kyllikki] @ Nov. 30 2002,20:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Who gives a flying f..k about sp missions. MP is keeping the game alive.<span id='postcolor'>

I play in LAN and that is actually fantastic.

I made a really good co-op mission a while ago but it got wiped at the same time as my hard drive.

I like making missions and stuff, but i never release any of them.

I will do one day.

Turmz gave me a good site. They have many Co-Ops and all of them arent crappy either they are pretty cool. I'm playing some of Kegetys Co ops. No voices though. Still fun.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Goeth[kyllikki] @ Nov. 30 2002,21:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Who gives a flying f..k about sp missions. MP is keeping the game alive.<span id='postcolor'>

Very constructive comments, thanks for that smile.gif

He means audio voices, I think it is better not having them in MP missions as they increase the file size (hell for 56k players, doesn't matter on a LAN though)

RED

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ixian @ Nov. 30 2002,19:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> I tried to make my own l337 mission but I know jack about scripting, cutscenes, talking etc.  SO its not worth the effort really.<span id='postcolor'>

We all have started on scratch....

Just learn as you go...  smile.gif

On the subject of good missions:

I recomend this missions

It does'nt feature a intro, cutscene etc, but the gameplay is great (and that's what matters). I think cutscenes are just the icing on the cake. You watch it once and skip it all the other times you're playing the mission.

When I make a mission it usually take me 10-15 (plus beta-testing) hours to make the mission and an additional 3-10 hours making a intro I would call decent. To me it's obvious, put more time in mission-editing and less in cutscenes as they just spice up the mission but does not enhance the gameplay-experience smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ixian @ Dec. 01 2002,05:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">http://yb3-33.ozhosting.com/ofpR/Deltaop.htm

has some cool looking missions judging but the screenshots.  However d/l is not working and they dont even have contact email or anything.  pff.  =(<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah thats an old archive for me and Blue Streak. Recently i discovered that the 500 mb of space was now around 20mb, for no good reason (aside from money hungry webhost).

For the time being all those downloads are not there, but most of the stuff at the site can be downloaded in packs from here. Those missions dont use voices, i rarely feel the need to use them, as the enjoyment of coop/gameplay is enough for me.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ixian @ Nov. 30 2002,22:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">http://yb3-33.ozhosting.com/ofpR/Deltaop.htm

has some cool looking missions judging but the screenshots.  However d/l is not working and they dont even have contact email or anything.  pff.  =(<span id='postcolor'>

The same campaign can be found at http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?sekce=campaigns. Search for 'DeltaOps 1.21'. Have fun! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ixian @ Nov. 30 2002,19:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Lately I find that there has been a serious lack of quality SP and Co-op missions released.  Specifically missions for Resistance.  Most are Soviets and NATO.  The majority of missions out there are poorly made.  I tried to make my own l337 mission but I know jack about scripting, cutscenes, talking etc.  SO its not worth the effort really.<span id='postcolor'>

As you said, you don't know jack about scripting, cutscenes etc. So don't assume that they are easy to make. smile.gif

And just a rule of thumb, never use "l337" in a discussion or even a rant unless you are trying to make fun of CS tounge.gif

Well I already figured out camera scripting. Tomorrow I'll start looking at dialogue and such.

i agree that we all start somewhere. I bought the game in late Nov02 and played with the mission editor, learn along the way and was helped tremendously by the unceasing efforts of the folks here.:-)

My first link was AvonLady site that brought me to most great links of OFP where i learn (laugh out loud) how to open the mission editor to now, hehe, editing the config files.

If u think its difficult to create missions, it probably will be, but if u are willing to try, it can be darn easy.:-)

Rather than to depend on others to create missions for u, u can create your own base on current flashpoints around the world.( sigh...plenty of them now). For example u can create a series of sp of the upcomming gulf war starting with a convoy of helicopters carrying hans blix the arms inspector being shot down and your team have to search and recue the survivors and Sadam trying to hide the facts, leading to an escalation of the war. With OFP's AI, u would generally have a great time even though u create the misson, usually u dont know how it would end if u created it fairly...hehe.

Frankly, i think OFP is good, but the greatest of all are the individuals here who help others in one way or the other to make the game enjoyable through their time spent on making addons, scripts, models, skinning, opening the config, command files and distributing it to everyone even though OFP didnt release much info. Its u that made ofp great smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Goeth[kyllikki] @ Nov. 30 2002,21:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Who gives a flying f..k about sp missions. MP is keeping the game alive.<span id='postcolor'>

Not having the time neither the will to play online, I do. tounge.gif

Anyway, there're a lot of cool SP missions out there and even that campaign, PMC (sp?) Fury, that could be played either in sp or mp.

The best mission I've played so far is "sniper training range" by TheOmega. No cutscenes, no addons and no scripting... really (and I mean it) hard and unusual, but had a nice time playing it.

Unfortunately, both, TheOmega and the forums where he used to post vanished. I wish he was releasing more stuff.

Regards

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Holy Smoke @ Dec. 09 2002,00:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Unfortunately, both, TheOmega and the forums where he used to post vanished.<span id='postcolor'>

Nevermind, I've found him. Download the mission form their site:

The Omega and a-lone-wolf Alliance

Regards