Hi!

I'm using Arms 3 with my Oculus Rift (via VorpX) and in general I'm very happy with it. I think it is amazing how well it works for not having VR support built in. After fiddling with the resolution and FOV settings a bit I have almost no distortion when as infantry and in ground vehicles.

The only problem I have its when flying helicopters. Somehow the FOV seems to be different in there and I have quite severe image distortions especially when rolling my head. Is there a way to fix this? By the way I already noticed the same problem when playing Arma 3 on a Monitor with Track IR, so it is not really VR related.

Thank you very much for the help and best regards!

I have always had the same issue with TrackIR. It's the hardcoded way how the game handles head tracking, which means that it can't be fixed by the users, only by game developers themselves.

• Like 1

Passengers in the blackfish still need a fix.

h3HRrT5.jpg

Can almost see the back of my head.

This zooming out while going fast should be removed completely since one tends to pay attention to what's going on in front of him when going fast.

Tying it to acceleration instead of speed would make more sense.

If at all there should be a slight zoom in.

If you've ever been driving on the Autobahn going 250+ you basically blend out everything but the stuff in front of you.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Can almost see the back of my head.

This zooming out while going fast should be removed completely since one tends to pay attention to what's going on in front of him when going fast.

If at all there should be a slight zoom in.

If you've ever been driving on the Autobahn going 250+ you basically blend out everything but the stuff in front of you.

Cheers

The perception of speed in Aircraft is different. It is very much dependend on referrence objects and up there in the air are none...the ground down low moves very slow even at just 1000 feet and the "feeling" of speed is almost gone at 250km/h. This real life experience makes the speed zoom in arma even more strange.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2017 at 2:07 PM, Grumpy Old Man said:

Passengers in the blackfish still need a fix.

Thanks for heads up. We're gradually getting rid of the speed sensitive FOV. Also all FFV positions still have the zooming and we won't be able to solve that by 1.78.

On 11/24/2017 at 2:07 PM, Grumpy Old Man said:

There's an acceleration based character motion. In the current RC / next patch it gets more pronounced.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the replies. I'm going to try to change the config files (as suggested by oukej) although at first glance I haven't yet completely understood how that has to be done. I will go through the tutorial step by step and see if I can work it out.

As for the speed sensitive FOV I agree that especially in aircrafts it is pretty far away from what you'd experience in real life. Although I'm "only" flying small single engine airplanes and gliders, I would say that apart from being launched from a aircraft carriers catapult (or doing the poor man's version of it: a winch launch in a glider) or maybe sitting in a top notch fighter going from idle to full afterburner, you will probably never feel much horizontal acceleration or body movement in an airplane. If you do move, you've probably forgotten to properly strap yourself in - or you've just crashed ;-) But I guess in every game or simulation you have to replace some of the missing sensations (like haptic feedback) with things you can bring across a screen over to the player. An in this case the developers decided to use the FOV to simulate the feeling of being pressed into your seat while accelerating. Acceleration based character movement is much more realistic but only if it is a very subtle effect.