Tankbuster

Windows client on linux server, odd behaviour

Guys,

Not exactly sure if this is the right place - does this forum cover Linux dedi server issues?

Anyway, my mission runs just fine on a Windows server with Windows clients. But a couple of guys run a Linux dedicated server and they report the mission doesn't work properly. As I don't have access to their box, I can't be completely sure what's going on, but I do have a relatively verbose RPT to look over.

First off, it seems the waitUntil command doesn't work quite right in initServer.sqf.

_handle2 = [] execVM "server\missionsetup.sqf";
waitUntil {scriptDone _handle2};

Works fine on Windows dedi, but on Linux, the waitUntil never releases. (yes, missionsetup does complete, I've observed that)

I changed it to

_handle2 = [] execVM "server\missionsetup.sqf";
waitUntil {missionrunning};

Where missionrunning is a publicvariable set by missionsetup.sqf and it works fine on both servers.

So, the above notwithstanding, is there anything special I need to be aware of when authoring a mission that will be run on a Linux dedi?

Hey Tankbuster, did you ever resolve this issue?

I have the same problem with DEP on a Linux server. You are using DEP in your mission too, so I recon you ran into the same problem?

I know that directory separators are different for Windows (\) and Linux (/), but I would expect the game engine to handle this.

Hi mate. I'm following your ticket on github and was about to chip in.

A Linux server had a similar problem and it was related to scripts not handling the script handle reliably.

As I said above,the only way I could unbreak this was for the called script to set a global variable flag on completion and have the calling script wait for that.

• Like 1

Ok cheers mate. Hopefully they will fix this, but in the mean time I guess the global variable is the way to go.

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fluit said:

Ok cheers mate. Hopefully they will fix this, but in the mean time I guess the global variable is the way to go.

Thanks!

Note this was something from 3 and a bit years ago and although the user who reported it is still active, I don't know if he still plays the mission and uses a Linux server. It ma have been fixed meantime too. Don't know. 🙂

PS and OT, while you're here.. are you likely to be doing dep_worldname data for Cam Lao Nam?

I've been seeing this issue for several years, and it's still present as of today (July 2021). Frustrating, but I'm glad it's not only me!

I am running first-party DLC only. No other addons.

Here was my original setup:

_get_locations = [] execVM "init\server\get-locations.sqf";
waitUntil { scriptDone _get_locations; };
diag_log "WR_SYS: INIT: ...get locations done.";

_setup_game_objects = [] execVM "init\server\setup-game-objects.sqf";
waitUntil { scriptDone _setup_game_objects; };
diag_log "WR_SYS: INIT: ...setup game objects done.";

The first three lines would run fine. The second script (setup-game-objects.sqf) would run, and all its contents would be executed, but the scriptDone statement would never resolve.

• If setup-game-objects.sqf file were totally empty, it WOULD resolve. (Adding back a single line of code to the file, even a comment, would break it again.)
  • If I removed the first three lines and ran setup-game-objects.sqf on its own, it WOULD resolve.
  • If I flipped the order of the scripts, BOTH scripts WOULD resolve.

With these findings -- and judging by the variable name in the original post ("_handle2") -- this issue seems to happen when you try to execute multiple scripts (with waitUntil scriptDone) one after the other. But there must be some other nuance I'm not seeing.