I've never touched snow in my life and never been bothered with snow maps as such but that looks pretty convincing, nice work!

1 minute ago, ProfTournesol said:

It's cold and wet :sigh:

So is the ocean!! anyway one day ill have to brave it, the wifeys home town is one of those 10 below zero places in winter, and shes adamant im going there one day in winter to try that silly snowboarding stuff lol  :(( 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Excellent work, I can't wait to use this map for some missions this winter. Hats off to you for putting this together in less than 48 hours.

great stuff, crazy mike! will you be also adding winter-ish textures to various props, stone walls (that are so many on the maps...) etc. ? that'd be even more amazing!

Looking great!

Urban CSAT soldiers already look white with the current lighting so they'll fit right in without modification ;-)

Awesome work mike.  The only immersion breaker for me so far is ambient rabbits spawning in full players view due to the lack of ground clutter, maybe increasing both spawnCircleRadius and groupSpawnRadius might help with that.  

i can only make it snow for about 4 minuts then its stops......

2 hours ago, Evil Organ said:

Awesome work mike.  The only immersion breaker for me so far is ambient rabbits spawning in full players view due to the lack of ground clutter, maybe increasing both spawnCircleRadius and groupSpawnRadius might help with that.  

im probably going to disable all ambient life besides birds later, thats all client side anyway so its weird for anything bigger then snakes to even be spawning on the ground

3 hours ago, loopdk said:

Can this be made server side?

no

2 hours ago, loopdk said:

i can only make it snow for about 4 minuts then its stops......

because the snow is rain so any mechanics that the rain had the snow will have, thus you have to enable manual snowing with the check mark box like you do if you want it to rain forever

10 hours ago, inlesco said:

great stuff, crazy mike! will you be also adding winter-ish textures to various props, stone walls (that are so many on the maps...) etc. ? that'd be even more amazing!

depending on the popularity of the mod ill continue to work on it, if it is unpopular i will fix any small bugs and leave it at that, if its popular then ill continue to push bigger updates like more texturing

• Thanks 1

I think it's going to be fairly popular.  There's really no good snow terrains besides some ArmA2 maps afaik.  You could even find someone willing to make gloves, scarfs and other wintery items.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, crazy mike said:

im probably going to disable all ambient life besides birds.....

Although they are not part of the vanilla AmbientA3 class, crows and eagles can be added too..

Eagle_F
Crowe
Spoiler

class AmbientA3
		{
			maxCost=500;
			class Radius440_500
			{
				areaSpawnRadius=70;
				areaMaxRadius=200;
				spawnCircleRadius=30;
				spawnInterval=4.6999998;
				class Species
				{
					class Eagle_F
					{
						maxCircleCount="((1 - night) * 2 * (1 - (WaterDepth interpolate [1,30,0,1])) + (2 * (hills))) * (1 - night) * (1-rain)";
						maxWorldCount=1;
						cost=3;
						spawnCount=1;
						groupSpawnRadius=20;
						maxAlt=30;
						minAlt=-20;
					};
					class Crowe
					{
						maxCircleCount="((1 - night) * 2 * (1 - (WaterDepth interpolate [1,30,0,1])) + (2 * (hills))) * (1 - night) * (1-rain)";
						maxWorldCount=2;
						cost=3;
						spawnCount=1;
						groupSpawnRadius=10;
						maxAlt=20;
						minAlt=-15;
					};
				};
			};
		};
	};	
};

• Like 1

Finally Altis and Stratis are fun again, after Tanoa and Malden jumped to the top of the heap! Animals during winter is not unknown... though if you want to be accurate, you can add in snow rabbits with white fur as well, though probably less of it.

Snow snakes... now that is SCARY!!! :D

Er... I meant Snow Vipers. :D

Oh neat! So if I’m understanding correctly, since this would just replace the maps themselves, would any scenario made for the regular maps automatically work on these? Assuming so but figured it can’t hurt to be sure.

9 minutes ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Oh neat! So if I’m understanding correctly, since this would just replace the maps themselves, would any scenario made for the regular maps automatically work on these? Assuming so but figured it can’t hurt to be sure.

yes right now it is a seamless transition when loading and unloading the mod from normal --> winter, the idea was to retexture every unit and have a "load this to totally convert the game to a winter setting" without any extra fuss

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think it would be more reasonable to leave pines more greenish as on the picture down below

Spoiler

1.jpg

Also, isn't it possible to remove all of the leaves from the deciduous plants? Some kind of what we see when we turn off the foliage in Eden!

11 minutes ago, Igor Nikolaev said:

I think it would be more reasonable to leave pines more greenish as on the picture down below

Hide contents

1.jpg

Also, isn't it possible to remove all of the leaves from the deciduous plants? Some kind of what we see when we turn off the foliage in Eden!

no i cannot modify models & i hate trees with no leaves in arma it looks bad

and it looks better when the trees are white, it looked stupid when they were green no matter how realistic it may be

2 minutes ago, crazy mike said:

no i cannot modify models

and it looks better when the trees are white, it looked stupid when they were green no matter how realistic it may be

Yeah, I know about the models, maybe there's a way to change the foliage texture and leave it transparent? Don't know if it works or not!

As for the dirt roads. something like this?

Spoiler

Winter-Road-copy.jpg

11 minutes ago, Igor Nikolaev said:

Yeah, I know about the models, maybe there's a way to change the foliage texture and leave it transparent? Don't know if it works or not!

As for the dirt roads. something like this?

Reveal hidden contents

Winter-Road-copy.jpg

no leaves looks ugly in arma

and yes i know the roads arent retextured yet.....

all ive done so far is literally just desaturate and contrast stuff, i dont plan to do much else unless i know it wont be a waste of time xd

• Like 3

2 hours ago, crazy mike said:

no leaves looks ugly in arma

and yes i know the roads arent retextured yet.....

all ive done so far is literally just desaturate and contrast stuff, i dont plan to do much else unless i know it wont be a waste of time xd

As it stands now..I'm perfectly content with what you've done. I've been waiting for someone to  add a winter texture to Altis forever. Naturally,though, some people are gonna expect you to give'em the moon.

• Like 3

I really love this. Great work! Makes Altis feel so homely for a northern dweller like me.

DONnJ8wX4AE_8Ke.jpg:large

• Like 9