sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam War Mod 3.0E - Echo Released !!!

Hi drdetroit

Glad you like the radio sounds, some don't which is fine its not for everyone. I spent a lot of time finding and remixing them to sound the way they do , unfortunately there is no real way to simulate volume control YET ;) ... I have more real tracks I want to add to the mix including Australian radio transmissions. I'm hoping with Tetet's expertise to have Aussie combat radios only play with Australian radios and US on the other at the same time ;) depending on which one you pick up.

Also a lot of people may have missed there is a NVA version with chatter too ;) It still needs some work the combat tracks overlap sometimes. I intend to make some more music tracks for the AM radio

Maybe in next release we can get it all in ..

SaV

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:11 AM, drdetroit said:

I just gotta say thank you for the fantastic mod - what a supreme piece of work this is, just loving it.  Very immersive and cool!  The many new features are just a huge bonus, not to mention the added Unsung radio is really a nice feature, I just need to figure out how to turn the volume up/down in game. 

The only thing is for a SP player like myself, there is little to no campaigns, so I created two Alive dynamic campaigns on the Da Krong and Prei Khmaoch maps and after days of tweaking, it's running very well and very intense.  Not published, just wanted to say how excellent this mod is, and with an Alive campaigns, it's just what I've been looking for to fill the Vietnam cravings. 

Thanks Eggbeast and other guys involved!  Just a huge thanks to you all (my wife may beg to differ, but we just got back from Nice France, so I have gaming credit for a bit).

Good day!

DrDetroit

Hey DrDetroit,

I play 90% SP myself and I would love it if you'd be willing to share your campaigns. I used Alive a few years ago but haven't looked at it again since UNSUNG maps became available for it.

4 hours ago, dr@gon said:

Hey DrDetroit,

I play 90% SP myself and I would love it if you'd be willing to share your campaigns. I used Alive a few years ago but haven't looked at it again since UNSUNG maps became available for it.

Sure, I can shoot you the pbo.  Still a WIP - though.  Basically, Da Krong has Opfor NVA to the south, VC reported in the eastern region, civilians in Ta Lieng.  Several platoons of US Blufor, CAS, arty, and transports, to the north/west corner air base, and 20 guys at the south/east firebase Camp Sarg.  

I'm working on balancing, and a few minor issues, and some polish, but the latest iteration Alive, and VCOM AI 3.0, is working together flawlessly with Unsung thus far;

EX: Our platoon was tasked and set to chopper in near Ta Lieng, to corner suspected VC squad spotted by a recon team in the south part of the village (shows on Alive intel map).  As we were climbing into the Huey to move out, NVA started a huge assault on our airbase out of nowhere; starting with mortar rounds , then flanking attacks w heavy gunfire coming out of the jungle- which lasted for nearly 30-min, and thank G-d for the river or we'd been run over.  But then the NVA pulled back, in which case we (my platoon and a few AI platoons, tried to clear out the AO surrounding LZ Savage, but a brutal 2nd counter assault by the NVA, from what seemed like 360 degrees with grenades and mortars, which made things absolutely chaotic, ended our short lives after several skirmishes.  I could hear those bastard all around me, but couldn't see a thing in that jungle!  Literally they were barking orders at each other 10 meters out, and bounding in between trees, tossing grenades - but couldn't figure out where they were coming from.  In the end they got us!

Anyhow, that was the first 45 minutes of the latest test play the other night. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Strange distant LOD textures for terrain on Khe Sahn. Like an acid trip.

5d5BjGX.jpg

Dq2FPWd.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pognivet said:

Strange distant LOD textures for terrain on Khe Sahn. Like an acid trip.

Perfect for the Nam simulation :)

Nah it's known mate. Londo's been looking at ways he can fix that up afaik.

• Like 2

what a freakin team - one platoon took on a BATTALION and held the line over 5 hours - watch the movie here

it starts around 15 mins in, and runs for a full exhausting 5 hours. kicks off big time about 90- mins in

These vids by Bushman follow the mission from POV of Viking squad led by R0adki11

twitch

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/274329970

youtube version

should have a vid from POV of Spartan squad soon from Irish Mick, led by me and Duke as 2IC

this is Project Delta, the saltiest, most ballsy bunch of hardcore baby killing motherfuckers in nam (including T.Lee on M60 duty, a real cherished Nam vet) It is month 12 of their tour and instead of the going-home party they were expecting they are being shanghai'd by some mysterious guys in tiger stripes. They will be balls deep by dawn, not in hookers, sadly, but in entrails, shellcasings and cordite...

we had a 7 deaths and you're permanently KIA rule in play. You can see that most of us made it.

4HGh3aa.jpg

• Like 3

vid by IrishMick of Spartan Squad defending the northern perimeter of Camp Hell last sunday

learning point - never let a stoned medic loose with a bag of mines lol

• Like 1

I can never tell if you guys are annoyed by my constant bug reports and suggestions or ecstatic, but here's another one for you.

The O-2 Skymaster flies like a remote-controlled airplane.

I've logged thousands of hours in flight sims including Prepar3d. I've done networked flights in 747-400's with other pilots coast-to-coast as the Captain, giving the orders. I've done weird ass simulators nobody has ever heard of landing Super Otters in the bush in Africa. I've done many virtual tours of duties on many virtual fronts in many virtual aircraft in many virtual wars. I geeked MiGs and Sus in Falcon 4.0, brought down Folkes-Wolfes in Sturmovik using P-39's, dodged Buks over Georgia in DCS. I'm not saying I'm some armchair general, but I do know one or two things after reading so many manuals.

Bring that Skymaster up to speed and jerk. It turns faster than a car. In real life it would literally rip both of the wings completely off.

I know you guys have a huge back catalogue of shit you need to do to take all the ArmA 2 shit and bring it up to ArmA 3 standards, but I'd throw this one in the list somewhere. It's not really important, it flies mostly well except for being incredibly sensitive to control inputs to the point of being almost uncontrollable. You have to exercise extreme delicacy in its operation lest you stall, and this is an aircraft designed to evade enemy ground fire at low altitudes with no ejection seat. Something to think about.

By the way does the UNSUNG team and everyone play events? I'd love to take part in one, but I don't know any of the coordinating info. I'm content with any shit job you want to give me even if its loading C-Rations into helos at a rear base.

1 hour ago, pognivet said:

By the way does the UNSUNG team and everyone play events? I'd love to take part in one, but I don't know any of the coordinating info. I'm content with any shit job you want to give me even if its loading C-Rations into helos at a rear base.

A lot of the Developers play in in B52 Delta, which started out as a group for Beta Testing Unsung. But its now grown into a gaming group for the Unsung Mod. More information can be found here: https://units.arma3.com/unit/unsung-project-delta

@pognivet thanks mate. no need to justify your feedback, it's a known issue the thing flies like crap since i fixed its inability to take off without full flaps.

1 step forward 2 steps back

need more capable modders in the team to pick up the ongoing chores

9 hours ago, pognivet said:

Joining the UNSUNG Discord we have a channel for upcoming events. You don't have to commit to joining any community and this will take off any burden of having to actually turn up to anything. Just watch the #upcoming_events on our discord invite here: https://discord.gg/2RXqmjb

This way you can see multiple community's public events and even some unique ones.

• Like 1

Sav, Your quickly causing a very real problem.In your desperation and deception to secure my work you have jeopardised your use.

Pm me and we will have to sort this out.If no response is recieved i will take it that no further discussion is required and you will have to remove any and all of my work.

As a content creator i cannot stand for this treatment and attitude.I offered my help and time only to be treated like a fool.No thanks....

• Confused 1

Hi steve

if you have a question about unsung mod licensing or IP please send me a PM

cheers

Rob

I will try to make this one. We still have your hotfixes to publish - maybe early next week

On 6/22/2018 at 10:03 AM, ANZACSAS Steven said:

Sav, Your quickly causing a very real problem.In your desperation and deception to secure my work you have jeopardised your use.

Pm me and we will have to sort this out.If no response is recieved i will take it that no further discussion is required and you will have to remove any and all of my work.

As a content creator i cannot stand for this treatment and attitude.I offered my help and time only to be treated like a fool.No thanks....

Ok Steve I will make it as clear as possible so there is no confusion.There has been no deception at all I clearly put to you the standard agreement between contributors of the mod. I noted your concern with the right of the current members to "Fine tune" any work you done IF you are no longer with the team FOR the benefit of the mod overall.

That's fine you don't have to agree, that's your choice. Yes you were with the unsung briefly in the pre-arma 2 days and your name was credited accordingly. If it wasn't detailed enough my apologies since you did in fact leave the team many years ago and were not heard of again till recently.

However , after learning of threats you made against others in the team I decided to sever contact with you. I won't tolerate it ,  that's my choice.
Any remaining coding or work you contributed will be reviewed,  Egg will contact you in a PM how we will manage this.

I wish you all the best in the future. 

SaV

• Like 1

On 25/06/2018 at 4:11 AM, sgt_savage said:

I noted your concern with the right of the current members to "Fine tune" any work you done IF you are no longer with the team FOR the benefit of the mod overall.

[...] Yes you were with the unsung briefly in the pre-arma 2 days and your name was credited accordingly. If it wasn't detailed enough my apologies since you did in fact leave the team many years ago and were not heard of again till recently.

However , after learning of threats you made against others in the team I decided to sever contact with you.

What's going on here? Did basic rules change all of a sudden?

If you guys are using any of his work, it doesn't matter if he's still in the team or not, you have to credit him properly.

I don't see his name here : http://svn.armanam.eu/ftp/eggbeast/unsung/docs/Credits/UNSUNG 3.0E Credits.pdf

Blocking a contributor because he's asking to be credited? This thread oughta be locked...

• Like 1

A few weeks back Steve showed up after an 8 year absence and asked to be credited as ParagonSix.

i don't know why he wanted that name to be used, but that's what he asked for. It's included in the Steam folder version of the credits.

Looks like the website link is out of date for credits and a few other things (torrent etc) - we'll have it updated. (edit - updated that version of the file)

Unsung has over 100 authors, and last summer we audited the history of all our contributions and spoke to many former members. We have an almost complete record of who made what, but there are still inevitably a few gaps. The mod after all is the longest surviving mod in Arma, at nearly 15 years old!!

We are in discussion with Steve in PM about his complaints, and the forum moderators are aware of it.

There's no need for any further public discussion about this, it's a simple misunderstanding between a very old member of the team and the current team, and we will resolve it professionally and amicably by PM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys, 

Is there a DL link for the 3.0E manual? Didn't see anything at Armaholic other than the full mod DL.

I meant to email it to myself from home so I can read when at work...at lunch of course, but forgot.

Thanks and good day!

DrDetroit

Anyone got a good bombing script I could have for use in missions in order to get aircraft to carpet bomb an area or do CAS? I made one, and it works to an extent, but its incredibly inaccurate because the AI pilots jerk to terrain follow in between releasing ordinance. This is what it looks like:

if (!isServer) exitWith {};

_unit = _this select 0;
_target = _this select 1;

{_x disableAI "AUTOCOMBAT";} foreach units group _unit;
{_x disableAI "AUTOTARGET";} foreach units group _unit;

_laserT = createVehicle ["LaserTargetW", [0,0,0], [], 0, "NONE"];
_laserT attachto [_target, [0, 0, 0]];

_unit dotarget _laserT;

_weapon = "Uns_NapalmLauncher_750";

//_mode = (getArray (configFile >> "cfgweapons" >> _weapon >> "modes")) select 0; 
//if (_mode == "this") then {_mode = _weapon;}; 
//This never seemed to work so I just explicitly listed the napalm launcher weapon above

_unit selectWeapon _weapon;

while {_unit ammo _weapon > 0} do
{
_unit dotarget _laserT;
sleep 0.1;
_unit forceWeaponFire _weapon; 
sleep 0.1;
};

sleep random [5, 10, 15];

(driver _unit) sidechat "Winchester. Returning to base.";

{_x enableAI "AUTOCOMBAT";_x enableAI "AUTOTARGET";} foreach units group _unit;

_cleanUp = [_target, _laserT] spawn {

waituntil {!alive _unit or !alive vehicle _unit};
    deletevehicle (_this select 1);
    true

};

sleep 2;

_unit doMove (position rtb1);

//rtb1 is a game logic outside of the map and will delete the planes and their crew when they get close to it, to simulate them leaving the area

I usually put this in the activation field of a move waypoint for the aircraft near the target. The planes will drop the napalm pretty good, they'll dump their whole loads. When the wind is right it looks spectacular, but most of the time each bomb lands about half a kilometer away from any other one. They also never seem to land anywhere near the target so I assume the AI are just ignoring the targeting part and dropping their load without a thought in the world about where the bombs are going.

I don't want to do any Wizard of Oz shit and spawn bombs in the air with velocity and "pretend" the planes flying over dropped them on the target. I really detest that way of making missions unless I really absolutely have to use methods like that. I want there to be an actual full simulation of it, start to finish, which allows for friendly fire, mistakes, bad wind, bad trajectories, shootdowns and so on.

I'm sure someone smarter than me has figured this out by now. Will you do a brother a solid?

• Like 2

if i can fix the GPS target spawning in mykes script, you can have all of this and more. for now though the target disappears soon after spawning. very odd.

14 hours ago, pognivet said:

I usually put this in the activation field of a move waypoint for the aircraft near the target. The planes will drop the napalm pretty good, they'll dump their whole loads. When the wind is right it looks spectacular, but most of the time each bomb lands about half a kilometer away from any other one. They also never seem to land anywhere near the target so I assume the AI are just ignoring the targeting part and dropping their load without a thought in the world about where the bombs are going.

I don't know of an automatic approach, but if you go with level bombing you can use flyInHeight ( https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/flyInHeight ) in combination  with flyInHeightASL ( https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/flyInHeightASL ) to force the plane to fly level. E.g. this flyInHeight 100; this flyInHeight [1000,1000,1000] in the init box will have the plane fly at 1000 meter above sea level, ignoring contours, unless the terrain raises to 900+ meters. Then it's probably a matter of your patience to determine the exact release time for the bombs.

From your script it seems you already know how to drop the bombs themselves, there seem to be various script commands that do approximately the same job.

For CAS I would look at the a3 support module. Alternatively the SAD waypoint type (https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/waypointType) might be useful, especially with reveal (https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/reveal).

6 hours ago, TeTeT said:

I don't know of an automatic approach, but if you go with level bombing you can use flyInHeight ( https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/flyInHeight ) in combination  with flyInHeightASL ( https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/flyInHeightASL ) to force the plane to fly level. E.g. this flyInHeight 100; this flyInHeight [1000,1000,1000] in the init box will have the plane fly at 1000 meter above sea level, ignoring contours, unless the terrain raises to 900+ meters. Then it's probably a matter of your patience to determine the exact release time for the bombs.

From your script it seems you already know how to drop the bombs themselves, there seem to be various script commands that do approximately the same job.

For CAS I would look at the a3 support module. Alternatively the SAD waypoint type (https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/waypointType) might be useful, especially with reveal (https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/reveal).

Thanks for your input. I sometimes get weird AI behaviors with flyinheight. One of these behaviors will be aircraft flying around in a circle for eternity after they encounter the first contour in the land they come to. I'll try to mess with flyinheightASL and see if I can make them stay.

I've tried using the support modules for allowing players to call in CAS, but the planes never seem to actually drop the bombs and end up flying around the area for like half an hour.

The problem with using support modules as well is that I don't actually want players to be coordinating the airstrikes. I mean, it would be nice, but my main motivation is that I want it to be done by the AI while the player is involved in a completely separate role in the same AO that has nothing to do with being a FAC or RTO.

Even if you're flying inside of an airplane as a pilot, and you have the full technology to drop an aimed bomb onto a point target, it can be difficult to do so. Speed, angle, height and the contours of the landscape all affect where its going to end up slamming into. To achieve the accuracy needed to actually cause harm to the enemy in the world of APEX (Where trees can never fall, as opposed to the olden days of BRG Africa where you could daisycut LZs) this is nearly impossible to engineer merely by setting an AI's path through waypoints and adjusting their speed and altitude through force. It is literally not much different from working at NASA as a mathematician and trying to calculate the trajectory to land the Apollo cupola on the surface of the moon. Maybe if I get my scientific calculator out I'd be able to get a few of them within a couple hundred meters of where they're supposed to be. I've been able to pull it off once or twice just by dumb luck, but its definitely not the sort of effect on target that's desirable, or even effective.

The BIS CAS effect module runs on some function or code, and the RHS boys have even figured out how to add their own planes and bombs to its repertoire. The planes only drop one bomb, but they seem to absolutely nail the target almost every time. The plane will actually pitch itself properly in order to throw the bomb on the right trajectory, or at least close to it. I think you can see the code of the module in the functions viewer in the editor. I'm no pro with coding. Does anyone know how to sort of extract the code from that module as far as targeting goes and put it in my own script?

@eggbeast If you're talking about the old support menu from Arma 2 that you could access by using the PRC-25s, good luck bringing it back. I don't know who coded it the first time around, but that was the shit. One of the coolest things in the mod.