sic-disaster

Project Human 1.2 - Making Death Come Alive!

5 hours ago, sic-disaster said:

Update 1.1 is live now!

We added three new features: a shout upon being wounded, which will occur only once, we added underwater detection with it's own set of gargles and hit sounds, and we added support for RAVAGE, so zombies now have their own distinct set of hit and death sounds.  The total of screams etc. is now up to 70.

Wow, thanks guys! love_anim.gif

• Like 4

hey sic! Congrats with your update!

I like that you added hit-reaction screams. The underwater ones are a nice touch too!

Is there a way to determine if your character receives >X amount of damage = no sound? So a 30mm ap round hitting a guy will just insta-kill him? Or a nearby JDAM? People who receive just enough damage to kill them will scream a lot, but people that receive headshots or heavy damage make gurgle/mumble sounds. People that receive extreme damage simply don't say anything?

I'm just thinking about ways to further improve compatibility and create more diversity.

Think about this: approaching the site of an IED aftermath, the people closest to the bang will be dead silent, the ones further away screaming in pain (not instantly killed by blast).

Also, if using bloodlust, there is a damage threshold that will "vaporize" characters. It would be smart of you to remove death sounds at the same damage level at which vaporization effect occurs to avoid "ghosts screaming" :P

Either way, keep up with the good work! It's getting better and better :)

• Like 2

I loved the idea of this mod but because of how obnoxious the sounds are I swapped over to SFX Project. The sounds sound like the dead unit is about to burst out laughing from dying.

55 minutes ago, Fros7bite said:

I loved the idea of this mod but because of how obnoxious the sounds are I swapped over to SFX Project. The sounds sound like the dead unit is about to burst out laughing from dying.

I started reading your post but because of how obnoxious it was i switched back to the previous post and authors update video...

Great job @sic-disaster

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Fros7bite said:

Why not contribute to the mod by recording some screams yourself, they are looking for willing amatuers....perhaps it's much easier to criticize (free) work of individuals who don't claim to be professional voice actors.

FYI, the author of SFX Project has acknowledged his samples are from various AAA games.

• Like 3

On 6-11-2017 at 2:44 PM, Strike_NOR said:

hey sic! Congrats with your update!

I like that you added hit-reaction screams. The underwater ones are a nice touch too!

Is there a way to determine if your character receives >X amount of damage = no sound? So a 30mm ap round hitting a guy will just insta-kill him? Or a nearby JDAM? People who receive just enough damage to kill them will scream a lot, but people that receive headshots or heavy damage make gurgle/mumble sounds. People that receive extreme damage simply don't say anything?

I'm just thinking about ways to further improve compatibility and create more diversity.

Think about this: approaching the site of an IED aftermath, the people closest to the bang will be dead silent, the ones further away screaming in pain (not instantly killed by blast).

Also, if using bloodlust, there is a damage threshold that will "vaporize" characters. It would be smart of you to remove death sounds at the same damage level at which vaporization effect occurs to avoid "ghosts screaming" :P

Either way, keep up with the good work! It's getting better and better :)

Thanks!

TheWaltsu is currently looking into a way to check amount of damage and how it can influence screams. The Bloodlust example is quite funny, but something that can hopefully be fixed. Personally I have very little knowledge of the code and what is and isn't possible, so I'm reluctant to say "will do", but it's something we want to take into account.

4 hours ago, Fros7bite said:

Well, can't please everyone. Luckily a lot of other people do seem to like it, even though they can be a tad long. I've done my best is all I can say.

I've been giving this some thought over the past days, because like SFX Project I contemplated using sounds from other games (and for a long time while we were still testing, we used RO2 sounds which are fantastic), but decided against using sounds from other games to prevent potential copyright issues, as well as the fact that RO2 was the main inspiration for Project Human, and other games simply don't deliver the feeling I'm looking to create. 

I guess the best way to put it is that the goal of Project Human isn't just to get a reaction out of the AI, it's to get a reaction out of the people playing ArmA 3.

We're also working on another update that should hopefully bring some more features, as well as new screams by our first voice acting volunteer!

Things we're looking at are 'mercy taps', basically shooting a 'dead' guy to shut him up, the damage detection thing so that if there is too much damage done, the guy is just quiet... and a way to set particular death screams for characters in the editor, because.... well, I've always wanted to do a campaign alongside the deathscream stuff, where you get to play as various factions and kind of see their side of things, and making the soldiers feel a bit more like people. In case of ambushes for example, it would be nice to control what kind of screams you get so you get the desired effect.

I had started on a campaign for the AAF aaages ago but then an update to Eden Enhanced broke them all... which somehow seems to have gotten unbroken again so I can resume working on them. Definitely going to require some more voice actors for that though.

• Like 2

I'f there was mercy taps I'd be all for it. Otherwise I have to hear this guy making silly yelling sounds for ages. Really takes me out of it!

On 11/3/2017 at 9:03 PM, haleks said:

One suggestion to fix this : tweak the scream function so it detects if the killed unit has a "NoVoice" speaker. ;)

Just so you know, I run lots of missions with "novoice" applied to standard  units because the chatter is superflouous/stealth missions etc (and maybe others do too).  Is there not another property that could be used to detect zombie?  (Inheritance maybe or some other config property)??  :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, das attorney said:

Just so you know, I run lots of missions with "novoice" applied to standard  units because the chatter is superflouous/stealth missions etc (and maybe others do too).  Is there not another property that could be used to detect zombie?  (Inheritance maybe or some other config property)??  :)

Yeah, sure there is; but I was thinking beyond zombies : for instance if someone use a vanilla unit as a scripted terminator (for instance), there is a good chance he will use either the "noVoice" speaker or one of the VR speakers. In most cases, having the mod ignoring said speaker profiles would probably make sense. ;)

(That or maybe an evaluated variable if one wants to exclude a specific unit.)

• Like 2

Something to think about hehe. It's going to be hard to account for every possible situation and every mod though.

• Like 1

Just tried it out and those Zombie death gurgles are awesome man!

Great Job!

Sweet, glad you liked them!

I also had a look at recovering the missions I had started on for a mini-campaign, and seems like 5 out of 6 are OK and can be continued with. I'll have to recreate the 6th one and come up with a 7th to tie up that storyline.  So that means I'm going to need some people to voice some roles over several missions, because there is no way I'm releasing anything without voice-acting in it. 

The idea was to do a mini-campaign for each faction, but I'll see how it goes. It's a pretty daunting task haha. At any rate, if I do end up doing other campaigns they will be released in chapters just like ArmA 3's campaign was, but each storyline should be tied up, though still flow into the other storylines of other characters. Not entirely sure how to pull that off quite yet but I have some ideas.

On top of that though I'm still looking for people to do death screams as well. Multiple people came forward but only one of them has actually delivered anything so far, which should be in the next update.

I was testing your mod last night and love it. I did  a comparison to the following for academic reasons:

• Laxxman's Death Scream - your mod seems like a straight up improvement over this one and L does have a variety of different sounds.
  • Mr Goodson's Unit Sound FX - Lord Primate (where are you buddy?!) Edited Edition - this was my old standbye with L's from above. It has a body fall sound so the body "thunks" onto the ground when it hits - you can drop a sandbag to the ground to understand as it sometimes hard to pinpoint if teammates were hit behind you. This is something I would like you to consider adding into your mod.
  • SFX Project - I did test this one back to back and when I load your mod with this, your mod would override it. One thing I really liked was that it supports Max's Women mod so I would ask for you to support it with female sounds if possible. Female mods in the works:

Zabb's Den-Nou, Enforcer and ATAINO also has females.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197966920428/myworkshopfiles/?appid=107410

Or maybe to take it further, you can make the sound mod modular with a userconfig that would assign a preset to certain units such as male, female, farsi, farsi female, etc... and have a whitelist or blacklist to filter it.

female = {"max_","female","zabb"} or any matching unit string

You can even open up subfolders in the mod molder where users can create sound packs to add their own "local" sounds and share it with others.

female ={subfolder name} where eat file is named scream, hit, gurgle, crying, wimpering, shouting, cursing or whatever list of names you define.

Would help in testing since you don't need to repack the PBO just to see if it would sound, sync or is loud/soft enough before a final PBO pack.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Valken said:

• Female mods in the works:

[...]

Maybe we will soon add RHS to that list : their latest version has a female speaker profile too.

I'd love to support some of the mods adding women, but I'm wary of using existing sounds from other games etc. and would prefer to get something community-made in there, which means I would need an actress or two.

I like the idea of the body thunk sound. We've also been thinking about trying to do helmet detection, so there might be a special sound when someone wearing a helmet gets a headshot. Progress has been a little slow the last few days though.

Meanwhile I've been playtesting some of the missions I made before. They won't be in there for the next release, but here's a screenshot from the third mission:

Arma3_x64_2017_11_14_19_51_25_113.jpg

It's a simple premise: hold out long enough for armored support to arrive. The player's squad will arrive at this farm, send the farmer on his way and take up residence inside, to form an FOB. Time fast forwards, and a little later the fresh FOB will come under heavy infantry attack. Troops will more than likely penetrate the complex and come in close, making use of the buildings essential for survival until backup shows up. 

Despite a simple design (which I think are usually the best, like the missions in the OFP campaign), there are a lot of triggers keeping track of various events like enemy troops getting into the complex from various sides, the player getting wounded and then sent to see a medic who can heal him up through a scripted action (no need to wait for the AI to come to you, go to the medic and he'll patch you up no problems), progress of the rescue team etc. Plenty of conversational material, to say the least! :) 

Making some decent progress on the missions for the campaign, and just for fun I've been working on some decent looking loading screens. They might give you an idea of the different settings and atmosphere of the missions. 

As you can see, The Wild Northwest has some day-time long range engagements (this is the mission in my post above), while A Night Darkly features more close-range combat at night. I've purposefully chosen to only give people 'low-tech' armaments, so no nightvision, no scopes for the player or most other characters etc. so night time battles rely heavily on other light sources like weapon-mounted flashlights, and spotting weapon flashes.  

Most of these missions will play out around the same area, as AAF struggles to gain a foothold in the rugged northwest of Altis. The player will witness the taking and expanding of the AAF's most forward FOB. In between missions new additions to the FOB will be made, not just in terms of fortifications but also the graves of comrades... 

THE_WILD_NORTHWEST.jpg

A_NIGHT_DARKLY.jpg

• Like 4

The next update is almost ready, bringing new sounds from our first community contributor. Also, hit sounds will be used as deathscreams as well, so more shorter screams should occur. I also got good information on how to improve sound quality thanks to Brazzer, so I'm planning on redoing all my own screams. However, that might not make it for the next update.

Along with those additions, there will be a new scripting command to make certain units not have a death scream, as well as 2 playable scenarios made by me. On that note, does anybody have a clue how to add missions to the mod? :D I think they have to be referenced somewhere but I have not found the solution yet, and simply putting them into a missions folder doesn't seem to do the trick.

• Like 8

Hi, there. I have some suggestions/requests:

Could you make it so that when units die they display "Setmimic 'Dead'" or "Setmimic 'Unconscious'"? Also, make the units lips' move when the injury sound plays, if that's possible. It would improve immersion a bit.

• Like 1

On 23-2-2018 at 9:23 PM, Laqueesha said:

Hi, there. I have some suggestions/requests:

Could you make it so that when units die they display "Setmimic 'Dead'" or "Setmimic 'Unconscious'"? Also, make the units lips' move when the injury sound plays, if that's possible. It would improve immersion a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll look into it :) 

As for now though, a new update was pushed out which brings Project Human up to 1.2.  Changelist isn't massive, but there is new playable content in there now as well.

- Added 9 new death screams and 6 new hit sounds by our first community actor, Crocodile Dundee

- Made hit sounds available to use as death screams too, so the longer screams should occur a little less often now

- Added new function to make specific units not have a scream, available through the editor:
  [NameOfTheUnit] call TW_fnc_screamNull;

- New SP content: The Dawn Brings Hope, and Operation Flaming Eagle.

Operation Flaming Eagle requires Eden Objects by Kydoimos, which is added to the Steam Workshop page.

And an update video:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Steam says the mod now needs Eden Objects - I see why after following the video.

No offense but just not sure I want to add a new mod to run Project Human - suggest removing dependency. :)

• Like 1