Digger James

Bring up the Bridge Layer, Engineers!

With the buzz of all the new DLCs coming I wanted to ask if Ol' BIS thought about, that even though we'll be getting flashy new tanks & improving the old stuff but it wont matter if the Coloum gets bogged down, for instances; the terrain Isla Duala is split into several halves by sharp, narrow gullys and rivers. Not to mention some of the key citys are connected by bridges that can be destroy easily.

SO! I wish to push the conceptual thought of adding Armored-Launched Bridge-Layers, It'd be a nice flavour added to the Engineer/Armored Warfare elements of ArmA, now this might sound offensive to some (which is a given) but I'd say it'd be an easy model to make since the chassis is only slightly modified to the factions standard issue tank and has a retractable bridge, plus since there are many to chose i.e. the Panther IFV or the T-100 for instance... I think these types of tracked would be essential along side whatever MBTs we're getting in the because if an Armored column gets bogged by a blown bridge on say... Tanoa Near the Blood Ruins having to divert down and into the gullies to keep moving can be dangerous and time costly, furthermore Armored/Engineer based Clans and Mission Makers would get a real kick out of such a vehicle for it's potential!

M104_Wolverine.jpg

mtu_90_l1.jpg

Hope some ArmA devs or Modders pick up this idea and think "Hmm, this would be actually cool to try out..."

But If no-one does then meh, I tried, Who am I to demand stuff, I'm just an ANZAC from the 40's.

With Regards,

Digger James.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Digger James said:

Hope some ArmA devs or Modders pick up this idea and think "Hmm, this would be actually cool to try out..."

We're ahead of you there, then. It's fully working, too. You can even stack bridges to increase the reach.
r7GoKGW.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, mondkalb said:

We're ahead of you there, then. It's fully working, too. You can even stack bridges to increase the reach.

-snip-

SWEET!!! WHERE CAN I GET IT?!? Now just need an American and Russian chassis to sweeten everyones tastebuds!

Russians don't generally use bridge layers much (if at all), and they're not tank-based when they do. They either ford or swim if they have to cross a river, and they're good at it, too. You may notice most Russian armored vehicles are amphibious and those that aren't carry snorkels for deep fording. The point is to avoid fussing about with bridges on your high-speed offensive. I can't recall a singe example of a modern Russian bridge layer, and even if it exists, it's probably one of those huge trucks with bridge pieces loaded on the back.

Oh, and by the way, last time I checked Tanoa bridges were indestructible. Which is a shame, but makes a bridge layer rather redundant (and also makes a warning in one of the Apex missions ring somewhat hollow).

• Like 1

On 02/11/2017 at 9:29 AM, dragon01 said:

I can't recall a singe example of a modern Russian bridge layer, and even if it exists, it's probably one of those huge trucks with bridge pieces loaded on the back.

*cough* umm look again on my main post; I have a both the Abrams chassis depicted, as well as the T-90 chassis as a Bridge-Layer in both photo & video! ^^^ So your wrong about that.

This type of machine is not represented in Arma 3.
This is not enough to build a new path.
Not all cars have the characteristics of Amphibians and need the equipment of a bridge on a pond.

1a9cf006aeb9a1e46753d5f163f1e985--milita

9b6ea614cf9f32644b3852659ad3b258.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:26 PM, mondkalb said:

r7GoKGW.png

@mondkalb Is it possible to have this mod?? Because i bought the DLC and its not in there. If it does'nt work that well it wouldn't matter for us 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/2/2017 at 2:29 AM, dragon01 said:

Russians don't generally use bridge layers much (if at all), and they're not tank-based when they do. They either ford or swim if they have to cross a river, and they're good at it, too. You may notice most Russian armored vehicles are amphibious and those that aren't carry snorkels for deep fording. The point is to avoid fussing about with bridges on your high-speed offensive. I can't recall a singe example of a modern Russian bridge layer, and even if it exists, it's probably one of those huge trucks with bridge pieces loaded on the back.

yes, attacking units don't need bridges in most situation. But after capturing a bridgehead by attacking forces, bridges needs for supply units  to deploy logistics support.