Sign in to follow this  
commando180

Magazines/Clips/Etc

Hello All,

Could you let me know if you're working on or can make a mod for dropping magazines on the floor?

Someone did make a bullet casing mod, but i want this to go with dropping magazines on the floor when its empty?

As far as I'm aware Arma 3 uses PHYSX, so i really want to see my empty magazine fall to the floor along with the bullets?

Can anyone do this ?? I've been waiting for something like this since operation Flashpoint, but it seems nobody can do it - is this an engine limitation or something?

7 hours ago, commando180 said:

Hello All,

Could you let me know if you're working on or can make a mod for dropping magazines on the floor?

Someone did make a bullet casing mod, but i want this to go with dropping magazines on the floor when its empty?

As far as I'm aware Arma 3 uses PHYSX, so i really want to see my empty magazine fall to the floor along with the bullets?

Can anyone do this ?? I've been waiting for something like this since operation Flashpoint, but it seems nobody can do it - is this an engine limitation or something?

This topic probably goes in the mod request thread but I'll comment on it. The mod that you wish to see made, wouldn't generally be considered realistic. Though dropped magazines happen in some situations, it's not customary to just drop and leave expended magazines. Ammo doesn't come pre-packed in magazines, so those empties are going to be needed for the duration of the time that you're in the field. While magazines are considered field expendable, they aren't considered disposable and if at all possible, you are expected to return your empties to the armory when you turn your weapon in. Soldiers spend a lot of time on the range and placing an empty mag in your empty mag pouches becomes second nature after a while. Some soldiers use dump pouches (either commercial or some kind of repurposed pouch) to drop their empties into but most generally just put their empties into their mag pouches or stick them wherever is convenient (a pocket, down the front of their vest, etc.). My army service was back in the 80s and it was during peacetime but while on exercises (war games, etc.), we mostly just stuffed them down the front of our shirts when in a hurry and unable to put them in our pouches.. It might seem like a time consuming process but it only takes a second or two and if you're reloading under cover (as you should, if possible), your weapon will only be out of the fight for a few seconds while you square away your empty mags. Soldiers in stationary positions will sometimes drop their mags on reloads but they will pick them up later. In an extreme situation, such as firing and reloading on the move, a soldier might drop a mag but he certainly isn't going to intentionally drop all of his empties. As I said, my service was a long time ago and during peace time, so things may have changed somewhat, but I did a Google search for "what do soldiers do with empty magazines?" and looked at a number of topics in different forums and the principle seems to be the same now and also during combat. Soldiers don't intentionally discard their magazines.

Here's a comment from a veteran of the war in Iraq that is very relevant:

"I learned in Baghdad that if you drop your magazines on the ground, eventually you won't have any magazines to reload. This lesson was learned in Somalia in the 90's as well. The soldiers involved in that operation were not retaining their magazines and after a little bit they couldn't reload anything.
I teach a Close Quarters Marksmanship Course for the Army that teaches magazine retention and ammo management. You would be suprised how many non combat soldiers can't wrap their head around the fact they need to retain their magazines, because normally no one is going to be able to resupply you in combat.

A dump pouch is a must, I wear a Blackhawk drop leg pouch that will hold all 12 of my magazines. The drop pouch needs to have an elastic closure on the top that you can push magazines through, but that won't let magazines fall out while running, falling, etc.

If you train with your M-4, Ak-47, other black gun, etc., you should have your dump pouch on and use it for all your spent magazines during practice on the range. It's all about building that muscle memory." 

12 hours ago, scimitar said:

This topic probably goes in the mod request thread but I'll comment on it. The mod that you wish to see made, wouldn't generally be considered realistic. Though dropped magazines happen in some situations, it's not customary to just drop and leave expended magazines. Ammo doesn't come pre-packed in magazines, so those empties are going to be needed for the duration of the time that you're in the field. While magazines are considered field expendable, they aren't considered disposable and if at all possible, you are expected to return your empties to the armory when you turn your weapon in. Soldiers spend a lot of time on the range and placing an empty mag in your empty mag pouches becomes second nature after a while. Some soldiers use dump pouches (either commercial or some kind of repurposed pouch) to drop their empties into but most generally just put their empties into their mag pouches or stick them wherever is convenient (a pocket, down the front of their vest, etc.). My army service was back in the 80s and it was during peacetime but while on exercises (war games, etc.), we mostly just stuffed them down the front of our shirts when in a hurry and unable to put them in our pouches.. It might seem like a time consuming process but it only takes a second or two and if you're reloading under cover (as you should, if possible), your weapon will only be out of the fight for a few seconds while you square away your empty mags. Soldiers in stationary positions will sometimes drop their mags on reloads but they will pick them up later. In an extreme situation, such as firing and reloading on the move, a soldier might drop a mag but he certainly isn't going to intentionally drop all of his empties. As I said, my service was a long time ago and during peace time, so things may have changed somewhat, but I did a Google search for "what do soldiers do with empty magazines?" and looked at a number of topics in different forums and the principle seems to be the same now and also during combat. Soldiers don't intentionally discard their magazines.

Here's a comment from a veteran of the war in Iraq that is very relevant:

"I learned in Baghdad that if you drop your magazines on the ground, eventually you won't have any magazines to reload. This lesson was learned in Somalia in the 90's as well. The soldiers involved in that operation were not retaining their magazines and after a little bit they couldn't reload anything.
I teach a Close Quarters Marksmanship Course for the Army that teaches magazine retention and ammo management. You would be suprised how many non combat soldiers can't wrap their head around the fact they need to retain their magazines, because normally no one is going to be able to resupply you in combat.

A dump pouch is a must, I wear a Blackhawk drop leg pouch that will hold all 12 of my magazines. The drop pouch needs to have an elastic closure on the top that you can push magazines through, but that won't let magazines fall out while running, falling, etc.

If you train with your M-4, Ak-47, other black gun, etc., you should have your dump pouch on and use it for all your spent magazines during practice on the range. It's all about building that muscle memory." 

Okay dude you got me there !! I surrender!!

But on a serious note, can we at least have some better reload animations? I know that Arma 3's reload animations have been greatly improved following the marksman DLC.

I was hoping that they could allow us to put away empty magazines in backpacks etc then?? Hopefully as an animation or something.... When you reload in arma it doesnt look like you're reloading from a pouch or backpack but its like they pick out/reload the magazine from thin air!!

• Like 1

I would also like to see some of the base weapons get improved animations- the ones in Marksman are really nice. Some weapons, like the Mk18 EBR and PDW-2000 did get re-done animations but I would love to have them for the more common weapons, like the F-2000, MX and Katiba. 

As far as putting away empty magazines in your backpack, this is the best I can find-

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27697

If you mean actual animation changes, I don't think there are any weapon animation changing mods around, only ones that change movement animations. If you are wearing one of the NATO Carrier Rig's your hand in third person moves to drop a magazine into your dump pouch, there is just no magazine actually visible in your hand itself. 

yea the magazine is animated normally with the weapon model itself in the model.cfg and the hand animation is a seperate file and only referenced in the weapons config when a reload is done, so if you want fancy grab the magazine spin it on your thumb and load your gun that just cant happen in arma without a crazy amount of effort put into the animating of the magazine in the model.cfg, its possible but its the reason you only see the magazine move a few different directions AT MOST, either snapping it in like with an ak two types of movement or just sliding up into the gun one type, you also have to make sure that your character animation aligns perfectly with the magazine, again cant stress enough that these are SEPERATE things, making a good animation which will be viewed in 1st and 3rd person is hard enough, then you have to animate the magazine accordingly which is just a pain in the ass on top of that, theres probably other reasons but as far as my weapon making ability goes ive only done bolt animations and 3 movement magazine animations, i havent even tried making the character animation rtm, i just animate my model.cfg to follow with one of the arma weapon anims that match up well to the gun im doing