pettka

Arma 3 Third-Party DLC Pitch Discussion

48 minutes ago, Delta Hawk said:

So I take it if BI has a MOCAP studio we won't be able to get you all to do some mocap even if it's just a few complex animations?

Right, you wont. BI will not make any data. On the other hand BI MOCAP is also working as separate studio, offering services to professionals (https://pro.bistudio.com/).

• Like 4

So, I'm thinking about making a campaign / operations / missions pack.

However, I don't know a lot about good scripting - for now I use some basic stuff.

So, I'm looking for someone who is good at it and willing to work with me.

It may not even goes as third party dlc (and probably won't) but I'd like to give it a try.

If anyone is interested, please send PM

• Like 4

4 hours ago, armored_sheep said:

Right, you wont. BI will not make any data. On the other hand BI MOCAP is also working as separate studio, offering services to professionals (https://pro.bistudio.com/).

Interesting, I wonder if they did anything for Kingdom Come Deliverance.  I keep this in mind.  Thanks.

Is BIS going to offer to smaller developers the option to develope a Third Party DLC for Arma 3. I don't know if other game studios are aware of the possibility to publish content for Arma 3 Engine.

I was thinking to send my self an e-mail to this studio to tell them that maybe they can do business with BIS.

http://www.digital-legends.com/media.html

56 minutes ago, esfumato said:

Is BIS going to offer to smaller developers the option to develope a Third Party DLC for Arma 3. I don't know if other game studios are aware of the possibility to publish content for Arma 3 Engine.

It would make sense to allow this, after all the Amateur/Semi-professional/professional line is blurred with current free modded content.

Could add a whole new dimension to Arma’s content.

one question i have is if a modder makes a asset  lets say a jet with a couple of camos would it be released as the jet itself  or would it be combined with other modders stuff  to make a pack of say four or three jets?

On 10.11.2017 at 9:24 PM, ezcoo said:

What content should DLC include? Is a pure gamemode (ie. mission) enough for DLC (given that it's high quality enough) or does the DLC have to include assets as well?

I'll try to get an answer for the third time. Is a mission or a set of missions enough for premium DLC or does the DLC have to include assets as well?

1 hour ago, ezcoo said:

I'll try to get an answer for the third time. Is a mission or a set of missions enough for premium DLC or does the DLC have to include assets as well?

sheep said that BI will see how Tac Ops pans out to see if its viable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/15/2017 at 5:05 AM, armored_sheep said:

BI should be only publisher. There will be no developers available for this effort on BI side.

Ok, so BIS won't help with development, but can we hire or contract a BIS developer to help us?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Delta Hawk said:

Ok, so BIS won't help with development, but can we hire or contract a BIS developer to help us?

No. Actual employees cannot be involved.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2017 at 10:19 PM, kilo-bravo said:

one question i have is if a modder makes a asset  lets say a jet with a couple of camos would it be released as the jet itself  or would it be combined with other modders stuff  to make a pack of say four or three jets?

BI will not combine packages. One can become a part of 3rd party team to develop larger package.

• Like 1

I did think, this would mean the end of Arma 3 cuz no more major updates and so on.. not like we know it from A2.. Then after thinking realy about.. this would mean we could even get much more updates with Third Party DLC. About A3 consumers payment opinions and prices.. WELL i just hope its not gonna be like, each DLC 100$..

I love the prices of BI ARMA, like DLC bundle... I have on steam/uplay/origin many maaaany different games i have played a lot and i just CAN NOT understand people crying about the prices for DLC bundle in Arma 3..

A: you have never played another game?!

B: You must be trolling!

Cuz with out to talk in details about other gaming company prices (not the thread for) i can tell you to 100% that ARMA and BI at all is/are probably the cheapest out there on the gaming marketing.. You get much more already by buying ARMA 3 then other games without DLC. I mean on steam DLC bundle for Jets/Tanks and so on.. just around 20 $ i have payed and this is amazing cheap.. somewhere else you pay not for the bundle, just for one little s**** dlc about 50$ just like the main game and you get still *****.. 

My wish as Arma Veteran.. I just hope you guys will make it sure THIRD PARTY DLC will not destroy it, the nice and realy lovely cheap prices about ARMA 3 content THIRD PARTY or not. 

Also it would be a great idea to get another, lets call it "third party DLC bundle" i would be interested to get. Why to pick one of them if you can support them all and have them all in a bundle?!

There is so much content not released yet, i would love to see.. like GPS bullet tracking system..all the cool 007 stuff still not to find in A3 community mods. I was thinking about to make a mod but many ideas and near to no know how about coding and making mods... "how to Arma". Maybe i will see this "007 Undercover agents" utility toys as third party DLC.. *maybe a good idea for some one with know how.. I would buy it instead!

BTW would this mean the MAKE ARMA NOT WAR contest stop?

3 hours ago, Sleepy Joe said:

BTW would this mean the MAKE ARMA NOT WAR contest stop?

Pretty sure it was a one off, and had already stopped?

Off the top of my head, there's really not many groups or individuals who can pull this off, and it really seems geared up towards the likes of the RHS Franchise, already several of them have become BI developers, the CUP's team are mostly bringing in ported content from previous Arma versions. 

The terrain makers like icebreaker are also likely candidates.. but the whole thing about DLC's is they're only as successful as the demand for them. From basic concept to delivering a product that meets the consumers demands, I have to chuckle with regards to the DLC's meeting BI's Quality assurance and Quality control.. have they looked at their release that seemed to have bypassed QA/QC? like utter wank AI ?? 

I've noticed a steady decline in addons that were anticipated 12-24 months ago, individual people/groups are losing interest in trying to create addons, when this QA/QC the OP mentions, breaks more shit with 3rd party addons, than fixes !! :icon_biggrin:

• Like 4

I'd quite like to see some 3rd party DLC. But only on the condition BI QA have nothing to do with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tankbuster said:

I'd quite like to see some 3rd party DLC. But only on the condition BI QA have nothing to do with it.

Why? if they are going to publish it, then they have the right to make sure it follows their specs

Have you seen the ai pathfinding in buildings? Or ai driving? Go have a look at the feedback tracker and see all the broken stuff that has been given the thumbs up by QA.

• Like 2

I agree the AI is, to say the least, needing training wheels, but does that revoke their right to make sure their Logo isnt associated with what something they feel doesnt officially fit into the game?

4 hours ago, road runner said:

Pretty sure it was a one off, and had already stopped?

Off the top of my head, there's really not many groups or individuals who can pull this off, and it really seems geared up towards the likes of the RHS Franchise, already several of them have become BI developers, the CUP's team are mostly bringing in ported content from previous Arma versions. 

The terrain makers like icebreaker are also likely candidates.. but the whole thing about DLC's is they're only as successful as the demand for them. From basic concept to delivering a product that meets the consumers demands, I have to chuckle with regards to the DLC's meeting BI's Quality assurance and Quality control.. have they looked at their release that seemed to have bypassed QA/QC? like utter wank AI ?? 

I've noticed a steady decline in addons that were anticipated 12-24 months ago, individual people/groups are losing interest in trying to create addons, when this QA/QC the OP mentions, breaks more shit with 3rd party addons, than fixes !! :icon_biggrin:

Yes, I agree that there likely isn't many that will be able to meet all the requirements BI is setting, so I don't expect more than 3-6 DLCs a year.

I haven't checked the latest data, but there is no doubt that there has been a noticeable decline in the numbers of people playing Arma. It does seem that interest is dwindling. It concerns me greatly when BI  said they foresee Arma 3 content being made for "many years" to come. I sure hope A4 is only 2-3 years away, but I'm getting concerned that it's going to be longer. I don't want to get off topic, so I'll leave it at that.

Hopefully the 3rd party DLC concept will work out well for everyone. 

I don't mind the Ai, they work, and they're mostly enemies. Yeah in singleplayer critiera, its fucked. 

But guys, BI is working on the new engine. They're (hopefully) compiling all our piss rants in a nice big bucket, and will be sorting that out on the next title. I don't know WHY anyone would complain about Third Party DLC, its not something that the whole community HAVE TO purchase, even if there are listings on the market for third party DLCs no ones is forcing you to buy them, moreover, its a gift from the developers and wonderful staff here more than anything else. Many mod creators have always wanted their FREE time which they devoted to pay off, and this is an opportunity for so.

Ok, BI moves forward with the idea and begin taking requests. What is the harm in that? What is the problem? None, when it comes to copyright and people stealing other peoples shit - we as a community will deal with it with finding out and testing, since most mods are quite easily identifable and have a vocal community. It's not going to hurt anyone, might aswell implement it and if it flunks along the line, scrap the idea and devote more resources to the next title.

As many people stated here, ArmA 3 (at least the current release), has had a drop in playerbase. But this is primarily due to the past generation of ArmA Roleplay Lifers (sorry to bring them up but you know) realizing that pretending to be a cool and tactical police officer in a game isn't really good for their real life. Aswell as the Battle Royale folk who went to the standalone game, diverting from ArmA. But were those people really contributing? Or were they playing due to  YouTube promotions, I think the latter. Like I said before, we on this forum are BI franchise die-harders who have thousands of hours, want nothing but the best for the video game that has consumed us what we may see and believe can differ to that what the casual playerbase wants (which is probably more police cars and so forth).

Also, one dislike I have is since the 3rd party DLC will be a very small and handpicked group of mods, why won't there be a lite version on the base game? Surely most of what there will be published won't take that much disk space (except terrains, obviously), so one suggestion from me is to include a main menu option to toggle tester/lite version of the DLC to boost sales and know what people would be buying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M. Glade said:

But guys, BI is working on the new engine. They're (hopefully) compiling all our piss rants in a nice big bucket, and will be sorting that out on the next title.

And the great mods we already have.. This sounds like something i am gonna dream about tonight and sleep well..

On 18.11.2017 at 2:42 AM, M. Glade said:

sheep said that BI will see how Tac Ops pans out to see if its viable.

Oh, I see. I somehow missed his comment and wondered why I'm not getting a reply. Thanks for the info!

4 hours ago, M. Glade said:

As many people stated here, ArmA 3 (at least the current release), has had a drop in playerbase. But this is primarily due to the past generation of ArmA Roleplay Lifers (sorry to bring them up but you know) realizing that pretending to be a cool and tactical police officer in a game isn't really good for their real life. Aswell as the Battle Royale folk who went to the standalone game, diverting from ArmA. But were those people really contributing? Or were they playing due to  YouTube promotions, I think the latter. Like I said before, we on this forum are BI franchise die-harders who have thousands of hours, want nothing but the best for the video game that has consumed us what we may see and believe can differ to that what the casual playerbase wants (which is probably more police cars and so forth)

What?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ezcoo said:

What?

Go to the server browser and type Altis Life. I think you forget why ArmA 3 is particularly popular, people are attracted due to the life mods/gamemodes and KOTH/BattleRoyale rather than what can be done with the base game. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, General Kong said:

I agree the AI is, to say the least, needing training wheels, but does that revoke their right to make sure their Logo isnt associated with what something they feel doesnt officially fit into the game?

more or less every day development branch releases updates and fixes, which kind of says their QA/QC isn't exactly top notch. All too often an official release breaks several 3rd party addons.

Why would a 3rd party team develop a stunning DLC, only to have their stunning contents stumble about because their content can't find paths, or follow way points etc?

Instead of inviting 3rd party DLC's, it would be better if BIS fixed their broken shit in the first place, without all the current AI 3rd party addons, the vanilla AI falls short of what it should be doing.
What BIS seem to forget, it's already 3rd party addons that keep people interested in their base product, without 3rd party addons, which are basically DLC's in their own right, vanilla A3 would be boring.

I'm willing to bet at least 95% of those who play A3 do so with addons, such as ACE, RHS, CUPS/Terrains etc too. And every one of those mentioned enhanced the base product.

I personally feel BI is flat out of ideas, and also unable to fix one of the most important areas within the franchise, their AI, they've (BI) become stale, and see themselves that addons/DLC like RHS would be beneficial to them, due to their popularity within the community,  by having their logo attached to it, and it keeps the dwindling interest alive till the next evolution of Arma.

• Like 3