pettka

Arma 3 Third-Party DLC Pitch Discussion

As of today, we're inviting external developers to send us their pitch for new third-party premium DLC for Arma 3 (be sure to read the invitation here). In the meantime, if you have any questions, suggestions, or concerns, we welcome you to share them here. Thank you for your interest!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

That's a very good idea indeed!

Love the idea, however a few questions I've thought of. 

1) Does this mean, say a mod development team applies and gets approved with your program, that all their existing free content would have to be shelved? They then could only distribute said content via premium application? Or are they allowed to distribute both free and paid content? 

2) Also how would that tie into communities? Say a community uses a well known mod, it then goes premium, what happens to the free version they have already obtained and use on their servers? 

3) What happens if some mates (can also apply to communities) want to play some custom Ops, however some blokes have the premium modifications while some blokes don't? Would it be required everyone has the premium modding DLC, unlike the official DLC where everyone technically has it, they just cant use some features. 

Apart from those I can see some potential, keen to see where this leads to! 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, xxgetbuck123 said:

1) Does this mean, say a mod development team applies and gets approved with your program, that all their existing free content would have to be shelved? They then could only distribute said content via premium application? Or are they allowed to distribute both free and paid content? 

No it does not. Third-party DLC we publish should never replace something which was previously free.

2) Also how would that tie into communities? Say a community uses a well known mod, it then goes premium, what happens to the free version they have already obtained and use on their servers? 

It will remain free.

3) What happens if some mates (can also apply to communities) want to play some custom Ops, however some blokes have the premium modifications while some blokes don't? Would it be required everyone has the premium modding DLC, unlike the official DLC where everyone technically has it, they just cant use some features. 

Premium 3rd party DLCs will be not automaticaly distributed to all Arma users. The instalation will be optional. 3rd party can put free version in workshop.

• Like 8

Awesome idea :) I'm pretty sure there are many skilled developers out there, that are willing to tackle this.

I did not see this coming, but as we've seen with the Jets DLC, it can work out pretty good.

Good luck, I'm hyped to see a final result :P

• Like 2

I'm curious, will you accept submissions for a mini campaign that would tie into the current campaign storylines?  

• Like 2

What sort of content? There were some comments that any DLC would have to have a 3D assets component?

Using the MANW framework to help understand, which of these categories of mods would be considered?

• Total Modification
  • Singleplayer Game Mode
  • Multiplayer Game Mode
  • Addon
  • Other
  • Like 1

Splendid!

There is quite a significant smirk on my face right now, can you imagine we can finally get paid for our work. Will content creators have a price limit, support requirements for purchasers and platform requirements (ex. website, proper changelog, team etc)? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

What sort of content? There were some comments that any DLC would have to have a 3D assets component?

Using the MANW framework to help understand, which of these categories of mods would be considered?

• Total Modification
  • Singleplayer Game Mode
  • Multiplayer Game Mode
  • Addon
  • Other

Good question. I'm willing to take part in the experiment if I can, but not every mod team can deliver new assets, sounds or whatever. Would a project involving only new scripts and/or new game modes have a chance to be validated?

• Like 1

a side-question from me - since no one really makes content that actually fits armaverse anyways, does the "pitched" content needs to fit in this universe, it is advisable it does, or is it simply unimportant...

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, PuFu said:

a side-question from me - since no one really makes content that actually fits armaverse anyways, does the "pitched" content needs to fit in this universe, it is advisable it does, or is it simply unimportant...

Plenty of people create content that fits the armaverse, actually.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PuFu said:

Woah man watch what you say, alot of people make vanilla worthy content!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, M. Glade said:

That's not what Pufu said : wether or not they are on par with vanilla content in terms of quality, most addons and missions barely relate to the "2035 setting", or take some liberties with the lore depicted in Arma3.

• Like 1

Just now, haleks said:

That's not what Pufu said : wether or not they are on par with vanilla content in terms of quality, most addons and missions barely relate to the "2035 setting", or take some liberties with the lore depicted in Arma3.

Thats what I mean, vanilla worthy as in fitting with A3s current timeframe. 

1) Who will be in charge of the final quality management?
2) Many items in modifications for the armaverse are actually copyright protected (but everybody looks away). What's with new content that might, or might not be copyright protected (oshkosh, colt, vehicle and firearms trademarks in general...)?
3) Who will handle legal questions if 3rd party rights beeing violated, either by the creator or the creators rights by others?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, pettka said:

As of today, we're inviting external developers to send us their pitch for new third-party premium DLC for Arma 3 (be sure to read the invitation here). In the meantime, if you have any questions, suggestions, or concerns, we welcome you to share them here. Thank you for your interest!

When you say "However, we will provide guidelines on technical and quality requirements, assist with the Quality Assurance process, help with promotion and deliver the tools for mastering" are you saying that BIS may assist in a technical aspect of the development of a project?  For example, if I don't know how to do something and there's no published information and reference for how to do that something, will BIS provide information, reference, instruction or guidance on that something?

• Like 2

4) What about free 3rd party premium DLCs? Is this an option, too?

5) What will the rules be regarding mentisation? What if a DLC creator doesn''t want his mod to be monetised?

• Like 4

Just now, audiocustoms said:

4) What about free 3rd party premium DLCs? Is this an option, too?

^ this. I would bet that with the proper attention from BIS. Dev teams could push out some really amazing stuff. Official servers to show it off on, help with promotion and technical help with the code/ assets themselves, and just the extra motivation from knowing you have the support of BIS behind you. Gets me excited just thinking about the possibilities. Sooo many amazing products are never finished or are finished but never given the attention they deserve.  Tons of large scale mp game modes alone are never finished simply because people can't get their test servers full. I think the money will just complicate things. Especially being that most of us don't do this for a living the enticement of money will cause more problems than motivation. I believe it should be setup as any 3rd party project BIS takes on should be the property of BIS with the understanding it will be released for free no matter what. This way if mid project someone or everyone has to bail, BIS can find someone to replace them and see the project through. Also, I selfishly don't want to see our best modders absent for 6 months because they are focusing on something I'll have to pay for. I will still pay for it, as I have bought everything BIS has put up for sale since I started playing. I just don't want to :p 
PS - does this have anything to do with that community management position you guys have up? Damn I want that job. Hire me to run this aspect of it and let me work from home(NYC)!

@soolie Don't get your hopes too high; I for one am reassured by pettka's explanation that all third-party DLC proposals "should already include a working in-game prototype delivered as an Arma 3 mod", a requirement which far too many non-game-mode MANW entries did not meet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Night515 said:

Plenty of people create content that fits the armaverse, actually.

3 hours ago, M. Glade said:

2 hours ago, M. Glade said:

Thats what I mean, vanilla worthy as in fitting with A3s current timeframe. 

i am talking scratch made 3d assets mind you...do provide 2 examples of such 3rd party made content that follows arma's 3 future-but-not-future-sort-of-prototype aspect

18 minutes ago, PuFu said:

i am talking scratch made 3d assets mind you...do provide 2 examples of such 3rd party made content that follows arma's 3 future-but-not-future-sort-of-prototype aspect

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=962772573

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=933340798

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=955313909

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=441854566

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949252631

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=705947357

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=543460260

Doesn't matter if it's prototype or not. There's plenty of official assets that aren't prototypes.

4 minutes ago, Night515 said:

let's not turn this into off-topic for no reason, but besides that UGV and kiory's rifle, the rest are retextures or ports, not scratch made assets...
in any case this is a minority i think, so my question still stands

As far as 'contemporary' content I mainly see would-be 'national forces' packs and sometimes semi-overlapping takes on gear/factions*, versus Bohemia's much sparser 2030s factions (NATO/CTRG, CSAT, AAF, FIA, Syndikat, barely-there Gendarmerie, and most recently IDAP) to make content for.

* I'm distinctly remembering three different takes on the PLA in Arma 3.

4 hours ago, PuFu said:

Maybe this is something BIS hasn't considered yet.  I hope it doesn't have to fit in the "armaverse".  For one not many people are interested in this specific time frame or setting.  Don't get me wrong, a lot of guys are pushing out good stuff and most of us are playing it on the servers, but I think modders and players find other time periods and setting more interesting, such as WWII, Vietnam, Cold War or modern day.  BIS ought to not limit it to just armaverse or the setting of ArmA 3 but what consumers are willing to pay for.

• Like 2