Hello everyone!

I've been working with UK military vehicles in Milsim communities for about a year now and having recently changed to using the Warrior we had to resort to the default Arma variant and it's partial re-textures so a week ago I decided that I will try and learn how to model a new vehicle into ArmA from scratch and I have been spending a lot of time since then watching tutorials, reading forums and asking questions just about everything. I downloaded Blender and started to learn how to use it and this is where I stand after a week:

ZFBOog5.png

bluqU3i.png

kKHRbIf.png

zlgMiYS.png

IJlrbnj.png

Tdj9uN4.png

My intent is to create a better and more immersive version of the one currently available with a fully modelled interior not just for the passengers like they do now but also for the crew and with opening hatches like the rear door as seen above and the top hatch. 

I'm learning as I go, discovering fast ways to do something that took 30min of manually moving each vert with one shortcut but I enjoy it! :) 

This thread is for me to keep you guys updated on the progress and ideally, if people are willing to ask some of the more technical questions and possibilities as besides the base model I have no idea haha! 

As you can probably see I'm currently working on the driver's hatch and with me wanting to give it an interior there has to be an inside view where he can manually look out the viewing ports which afaik I will have to accomplish by making them simply openings with glass to look through instead of the periscope it has IRL. The only other possibility I see is using PIP to simulate the periscope but I don't think that is a good idea as the quality is very subject to the client's settings. The problem I currently have is that if they are just viewports the driver his head will be a lot higher than it is IRL (he will have to be able to see outside with his own eyes directly) which I think will make the helmet clip through the top of the hatch and making the hatch taller isn't really an option as it will just look unrealistic from the outside. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the feedback! 

• Like 7

Wow, you did that in a week going from ground zero in modeling? Impressive.

You have a variety of resources on the forums, so don’t be afraid to use them.

Good luck!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rich_R said:

Wow, you did that in a week going from ground zero in modeling? Impressive.

You have a variety of resources on the forums, so don’t be afraid to use them.

Good luck!

I've started watching some texturing videos but that all looks very intimidating still!

13 hours ago, J. McMerry said:

theirs a Airfix model kit that Has a BAE Warrior with the fortress armour upgrade

http://www.topslotsntrains.com/uploaded_photos/Airfix-BAe-Warrior-Op-Herrick-Kit-A07300.jpg

After I finish the base version I intent to create variants with the Warrior Reactive Armour Programme 2 and after that the other model variants (511 - 515)

You're insanely talented considering you've already made THAT much progress learning from scratch. Good luck with the addon! There's loads of resources and help on these forums. Not only in readable material but also a lot of people that do configs and textures etc for others, if that's too intimidating. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just need to put some straps around the tools at the front and the 2 nuts on the driver hatch and then the hull is finished! :)

49c56491fcc573633740c1140d1f7d7e.png

5ba1128db7cc358132dcb6e5e41d03cd.png

c359c038e5f59359fdb5c5b6b3bf5590.png

• Like 7

Thanks! Work on the turret is progressing slowly, it's a pain making it able to be seen from the inside!

9193edcab5dadbb4cd923f2b8fdbb658.png

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, GamerOnkel said:

Desert Warrior with TOW ATGM launchers from the Gulf War?

Desert Warrior wasn't produced until two years after the Gulf War. So was never used in that war

It's only used by Kuwait, who more or less bought them as a "thank you" for the UK's involvement in the Gulf War.

• Like 1

Looking very slick!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GamerOnkel said:

They also make the Desert Warrior with TOW ATGM launchers from the Gulf War?

Maybe 12thMonkey can say if I'm wrong, but I think the UK forces used Milan launchers on some Warriors in the Gulf war. 

• Like 1