Arma 4 Vote!!!  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you want Arma to head toward in the next release(Arma 4)?

• Arma 2
    • Arma 3

Never seen such a biased poll :face_palm:. How is ArmA3 a tactical shooter and ArmA 2 a milism ? BTW ArmA is a game, not a simulator.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProfTournesol said:

Never seen such a biased poll :face_palm:. How is ArmA3 a tactical shooter and ArmA 2 a milism ? BTW ArmA is a game, not a simulator.

ArmA 3 has a lot of enhancements compared to ArmA 2 (weapon resting, FFV, advanced flight model, new tank firing system, etc...) but the medical system is really less realistic than ArmA 2 IMHO.

25 minutes ago, wiki said:

ArmA 3 has a lot of enhancements compared to ArmA 2 (weapon resting, FFV, advanced flight model, new tank firing system, etc...) but the medical system is really less realistic than ArmA 2 IMHO.

It is less realistic, but I think BIS said they removed A2's system from Arma 3 because it was script based and they wanted to improve stability/performance.

I do wish they hadn't removed the civilian interaction system though...

• Like 1

I updated the poll question and let me clarify myself.

1. Arma 2 was marketed as a Military Simulator. Arma 3, if I'm correct, was not or to a much lesser extent. The only purpose of this poll was to figure out what direction people want this series to head towards.

2. I keep trying to figure out which looks better, Arma 2 or Arma 3:

043E9836B1F95AB1F874AFEA26760180BEEABD2B

57629F5D3E21E0135E8C791742BF8AC2A1709C77

Arma 2 OA

961B0386EEF0003AD5E79F9FA1755AC2C77BA69F

D3F91B0731908854045EC7ED551EBE82B98C7A0F

Arma 3

2 hours ago, ZackTactical34 said:

I updated the poll question and let me clarify myself.

1. Arma 2 was marketed as a Military Simulator. Arma 3, if I'm correct, was not or to a much lesser extent. The only purpose of this poll was to figure out what direction people want this series to head towards.

2. I keep trying to figure out which looks better, Arma 2 or Arma 3:

For me Arma 2 can look incredible, just needs tweaking around to get the look that suits your preference. A2 has a much grittier look (in a very good way), A3 is glossed a little too much for me. But that said, A3 does look very good and in many ways (sea), much better than A2.

But I love A2 too much to move on for a few extra frillies. ;)

A2 was marketed as a mil-sim, whereas A3 is a military sandbox. You work out the difference. :eh:

I think A2 feels much more mil-sim, but that is with quite a few mods included and depends greatly on how you play the game and even the people you play the game with (no ranks and that nonsense, but team work play).

I haven't really bothered with A3 that much to say really.

For me A2 will not be beaten, which is a shame, but on the other hand, we do have it. :)

I haven't stopped playing A2OA + all the dlc's. I still play every week, although not as much as I used too.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BadHabitz said:

I want Arma 4 to be Arma 4. 

Thats pretty much the entire conclusion of this thread.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, chrisb said:

For me Arma 2 can look incredible, just needs tweaking around to get the look that suits your preference. A2 has a much grittier look (in a very good way), A3 is glossed a little too much for me. But that said, A3 does look very good and in many ways (sea), much better than A2.

A2 was marketed as a mil-sim, whereas A3 is a military sandbox. You work out the difference. :eh:

I think A2 feels much more mil-sim, but that is with quite a few mods included and depends greatly on how you play the game and even the people you play the game with (no ranks and that nonsense, but team work play).

I haven't really bothered with A3 that much to say really.

For me A2 will not be beaten, which is a shame, but on the other hand, we do have it. :)

I haven't stopped playing A2OA + all the dlc's. I still play every week, although not as much as I used too.

You literally just summed up what I think about Arma 2 and Arma 3 perfectly. I thought I was the only one who thought Arma 2 was better.

13 hours ago, chrisb said:

For me Arma 2 can look incredible, just needs tweaking around to get the look that suits your preference. A2 has a much grittier look (in a very good way), A3 is glossed a little too much for me.

<snip>

<snip>

12 hours ago, ZackTactical34 said:

You literally just summed up what I think about Arma 2 and Arma 3 perfectly. I thought I was the only one who thought Arma 2 was better.

Or you can use CUP and strap that grey PP filter on the mission.

4 hours ago, Janez said:

Or you can use CUP and strap that grey PP filter on the mission.

Not that I would want to use 'cup', but why would I..

Its the whole feel of the game, the environments etc. That, along with great mods, is what makes A2OA+all the dlc's, head and shoulders above A3. That is only my opinion, others are welcome to theirs. ;)

I have played persistent war-game terrains in both titles, but unfortunately it only really works for me in A2. That is because of the mods, the look, the feel, the immersiveness, the armour, the aircraft, the unit variety, the weather, the sound, the feeling the terrain is alive...............

Well you get the idea..

• Like 1

I can't see A2 being better than A3 in any other way than the amount of "present day" content in the base game.

A3 has firing from vehicles, advanced flight model, better vehicle physics (even though still really bad), weapon resting and bipods, better graphics, better animations, adjustable stances, better sound design, better inventory system and gear customization...and i could go on. And thats all without the mods which if chosen correctly (RHS, NIArms, CUP, ACE3) add all the content that A2 had as well. So in no other way I can see Arma 2 being the better of the two. Unless its nostalgia speaking.

About ArmA 4...I just hope that the new engine deals with all the limitations of the current engine, we get more and more improvemetnts and that the setting is a little bit less futuristic and more realistic.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, fanatic72 said:

I can't see A2 being better than A3 in any other way than the amount of "present day" content in the base game.

A3 has firing from vehicles, advanced flight model, better vehicle physics (even though still really bad), weapon resting and bipods, better graphics, better animations, adjustable stances, better sound design, better inventory system and gear customization...and i could go on. And thats all without the mods which if chosen correctly (RHS, NIArms, CUP, ACE3) add all the content that A2 had as well. So in no other way I can see Arma 2 being the better of the two. Unless its nostalgia speaking.

About ArmA 4...I just hope that the new engine deals with all the limitations of the current engine, we get more and more improvemetnts and that the setting is a little bit less futuristic and more realistic.

A.I.

Edit: feel I have to expand on that.

Everything you mention other than shooting from vehicles, although in A2 they shoot correctly from the positions they're supposed too, oh and  graphics too, if glossy is what your after, yes A3 is better, but I like the feel of A2 environments, they feel real (to me).

Weapon resting, animation, stances, sound, inventory/gear (easily done in A2) etc were/are all in A2, plus the most important thing for me 'AI', even with the older (available) AI mods are better in A2. No idea regards the mods you mention other than Ace, I used ace in A2 occasionally , but it only contains what can be found in other mods and better sometimes.

Its all in A2, infact some modders tried to make A3 back into A2, because they can't go back because graphics are more important to them. That's fine, nothing wrong with that. But when the player base want the game to resemble the previous version, then something is wrong. Most of the playerbase in A2 didn't want it to resemble Arma and certainly not OFP (perhaps in campaign, but I don't play the campaigns). So yes, I would like to see A4 return more to simulation. But really I don't care much about A4, it will likely be a good few years before it arrives and by then I could be too old to play the game.. ;)

• Like 1

The AI I do prefer by far, how strange that it may seem, is OFP AI. It's very straight forward, i can predict what it's going to do or not to do. For my historical mods, that is perfect, i don't care if they don't try to take cover or whatever. They do retreat when expected to, they do run away and don't get stuck in some 'go, i'll take cover' routines, it's very easy to build some surrender scripts, etc. My point is, AI should have been built on a modular system, which you can choose some more advanced AI blocks is you want to, or not.

But i don't know any other game where AI can handle such complex problems or live its own life on such a big scale, without it being player centric.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, chrisb said:

A.I.

Everything you mention other than shooting from vehicles, although in A2 they shoot correctly from the positions they're supposed too, oh and  graphics too, if glossy is what your after, yes A3 is better, but I like the feel of A2 environments, they feel real (to me).

Weapon resting, animation, stances, sound, inventory/gear (easily done in A2) etc were/are all in A2, plus the most important thing for me 'AI', even with the older (available) AI mods are better in A2. No idea regards the mods you mention other than Ace, I used ace in A2 occasionally , but it only contains what can be found in other mods and better sometimes.

Its all in A2, infact some modders tried to make A3 back into A2, because they can't go back because graphics are more important to them. That's fine, nothing wrong with that. But when the player base want the game to resemble the previous version, then something is wrong. Most of the playerbase in A2 didn't want it to resemble Arma and certainly not OFP (perhaps in campaign, but I don't play the campaigns). So yes, I would like to see A4 return more to simulation. But really I don't care much about A4, it will likely be a good few years before it arrives and by then I could be too old to play the game.. ;)

Well I disagree with everything you said except that the modded AI in A2 might be better than what A3 and its mods offer. But other than that there is not a single thing I can agree with you on. :)

• Like 1

I guess it's really all down to what each of us do with this title, do we simply play it, (Does anyone play it??) mod it, create missions for it, or swim around doing Triple flip samasults in the code like dolphins as some gurus here do lol. I hope Arma 4 becomes even more "editor" friendly, so that more content makers make more diverse content that I can play with in the editor, otherwise I guess at the end of the day I'm not too bothered about what A4 might be... Ok I lie, I can guess what it will be :/

Anyway it seems like every other day I find something new to keep me bemused... For example I've only just discovered an awesome intro camera script that I just can't stop messing with, it makes my missions look fkn awesome right up to the time the intro stops and script errors start kicking in! Damn u undefined variable assholes!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fanatic72 said:

Well I disagree with everything you said except that the modded AI in A2 might be better than what A3 and its mods offer. But other than that there is not a single thing I can agree with you on. :)

We all have our own views. Nothing wrong with that. ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisb said:

I have played persistent war-game terrains in both titles, but unfortunately it only really works for me in A2. That is because of the mods, the look, the feel, the immersiveness, the armour, the aircraft, the unit variety, the weather, the sound, the feeling the terrain is alive...............

Well you get the idea..

Not really, no.

Not that I would want to use 'cup', but why would I..

Because it offers the armour, the aircraft, the unit variety from Arma 2 in Arma 3 which is objectively better feature wise. You can get the look, the feel, the weather, the sound (why would you want to, it's terrible) and the feeling in 3DEN (rather then 2D editor).

But yeah, if you enjoy A2 more, good for you. No point in doing something you don't like or like less.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chrisb said:

A.I.

Do you have any recommended mods for Arma 2/OA?

1. Where do you want Arma to head toward in the next release(Arma 4)?

To keep going retro from the cold war back to start in WW2, good guys and bad guys.  Who are the good guys, you choose.  Choose  your armies

English

American

Japanese

Canadian

Australian

Indian

French and

French resistance  ....with lots of DLC's for different armies, vehicles, aircraft, aircraft carriers.

Canadian shermans in tank battles with german tigers.

Russian tanks against German, Battle of Kursk

Many famous historical battlegrounds and tank battle grounds can be created in maps with different weather conditions.

Gamers love WW2 gaming, and Desert play is very tiresome. 

Divers can be used and minisubs.

10 hours ago, ZackTactical34 said:

Do you have any recommended mods for Arma 2/OA?

Wow, there are so many.

The main thing to sort out, if you can, takes a lot of testing, is the ai. If your playing sp or coop against ai, then it's a must really. I got past all that a few years back now. But I left one  vid up of the little over 300 I originally had, unlisted now, that shows some of what can be done with ai using (publically) available ai mods. Its only my view, so you may not like the results, many do and many don't.

Its not a bad place to start 'ai'. But difficult to get working the way you want.

GL4, SLX, Zeus (the ai mod), SMK anims, st collision & evasive. Well its hard to go back and think about it all. These mods have to be mixed to get better results. It's not the conventional theory that you should mix mods, but I found it much better, the ai are much more believeable. Also folk will tell you things aren't supported anymore, its true, but they still work, if you test with others or changing little parts yourself.

Units, aircraft, armour, weapons, tac, etc, is personal choice really. Armaholic is a good place to start from. Just look around and see what you think you need or want. There are vast amounts of mod/addons on there (AH) and out there (google).

Ace2 is good if you don't have access to a more advanced type of mod. But its all there in other mods and addons, its just brought together quite well in ace. Don't rely on ace for ai.

Sound, well acex (ace),  JSRS, Vop, PSM etc, there are many more. Armaholic again, just try them out see which you like. I use in the video... not sure now :/, I think it was acex or it could even be vanilla. Can't remember. I use a lot of mods that are group mods (not publically available). If you get into a good group they're likely to use some of their own stuff.

I know its not very helpful, but mods are very much a personal preference, just try them and see.

For the ai, I'll put back up a vid I have on the channel. I don't really use the channel much now for public mods. But I have one there somewhere. Give me a few days to get it sorted. GL4 is the main mod to use and if you make missions, you have to use the GL4 format, there are details in the mod DL (Armaholic). GL4 can break some missions that are not made using that format, so beware. 

If your not into making missions, then ASR is good enough and shouldn't break much. I haven't used ASR, only for testing, so don't really know much about it, other than it wasn't the behaviour I wanted from the ai.

A mention of terrains/islands. There are a huge number (hundreds) available and out there. But again AH is a good start, so worth a good look through. Every terrain, in my view, is worth a look.. Some you'll use much more than others, but they're all great in their own ways.

We have to be thankful to those that put all this content out there. Arma is one of the few games that has a dedicated community, here and in other places. Some of the groups that surround this series, are very serious about the game and content, so worth looking around for one of those groups. Not rank type things, although some/many like that. But groups that play well together and value each member plus play the same way. Arma is best played either sp or with like-minded people. Standard MP is a minefield, best left alone. ;)

Just a footnote to all that. A3 has better aircraft, as in flight model.. (not driving, its bad in A3) But... The ai can't use that too well, so yes, better for the player in the aircraft, but for those on the ground, if ai are around using aircraft/vehicles.. Not so much. The ai in A2 use all the available content better, imo than A3's ai. When modded, they use it even moreso.

Blimey, I rarely come on here and write anything this long now.. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, chrisb said:

Wow, there are so many.

The main thing to sort out, if you can, takes a lot of testing, is the ai. If your playing sp or coop against ai, then it's a must really. I got past all that a few years back now. But I left one  vid up of the little over 300 I originally had, unlisted now, that shows some of what can be done with ai using (publically) available ai mods. Its only my view, so you may not like the results, many do and many don't.

Its not a bad place to start 'ai'. But difficult to get working the way you want.

GL4, SLX, Zeus (the ai mod), SMK anims, st collision & evasive. Well its hard to go back and think about it all. These mods have to be mixed to get better results. It's not the conventional theory that you should mix mods, but I found it much better, the ai are much more believeable. Also folk will tell you things aren't supported anymore, its true, but they still work, if you test with others or changing little parts yourself.

Units, aircraft, armour, weapons, tac, etc, is personal choice really. Armaholic is a good place to start from. Just look around and see what you think you need or want. There are vast amounts of mod/addons on there (AH) and out there (google).

Ace2 is good if you don't have access to a more advanced type of mod. But its all there in other mods and addons, its just brought together quite well in ace. Don't rely on ace for ai.

Sound, well acex (ace),  JSRS, Vop, PSM etc, there are many more. Armaholic again, just try them out see which you like. I use in the video... not sure now :/, I think it was acex or it could even be vanilla. Can't remember. I use a lot of mods that are group mods (not publically available). If you get into a good group they're likely to use some of their own stuff.

I know its not very helpful, but mods are very much a personal preference, just try them and see.

For the ai, I'll put back up a vid I have on the channel. I don't really use the channel much now for public mods. But I have one there somewhere. Give me a few days to get it sorted. GL4 is the main mod to use and if you make missions, you have to use the GL4 format, there are details in the mod DL (Armaholic). GL4 can break some missions that are not made using that format, so beware. 

If your not into making missions, then ASR is good enough and shouldn't break much. I haven't used ASR, only for testing, so don't really know much about it, other than it wasn't the behaviour I wanted from the ai.

A mention of terrains/islands. There are a huge number (hundreds) available and out there. But again AH is a good start, so worth a good look through. Every terrain, in my view, is worth a look.. Some you'll use much more than others, but they're all great in their own ways.

We have to be thankful to those that put all this content out there. Arma is one of the few games that has a dedicated community, here and in other places. Some of the groups that surround this series, are very serious about the game and content, so worth looking around for one of those groups. Not rank type things, although some/many like that. But groups that play well together and value each member plus play the same way. Arma is best played either sp or with like-minded people. Standard MP is a minefield, best left alone. ;)

Just a footnote to all that. A3 has better aircraft, as in flight model.. (not driving, its bad in A3) But... The ai can't use that too well, so yes, better for the player in the aircraft, but for those on the ground, if ai are around using aircraft/vehicles.. Not so much. The ai in A2 use all the available content better, imo than A3's ai. When modded, they use it even moreso.

Blimey, I rarely come on here and write anything this long now.. ;)

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I really do appreciate all your feedback and help. 

• Like 1