jedi_warrior

Better AI in campaign mode

Hi,

I have just started campaign mode and reached to the point where I am supposed to take the lead of small suad. The issue is that the default AI in the campaign mode are very, very bad: they do not listen to orders, they do completely oposite to what I tell them to do, they freeze, get stuck at repeating some words all the time, they won't advance, they won't fire a launcher even if I put a soldier right ahead of an enemy vehicle, it will just stay and star and wait to get killed ,in fact they are an absolute bullshit. I have no fun in this game because of this. Is there a way to replace those AI with a mod in the campaign mode?

Hello, Welcome to Bis forums!

Sorry to read about your experience, please do not be put off just by the campaign, its a minute aspect of the game, its not the whole game is what im saying

its .00001 of what comes with the game.

Anyways yes theres alot of mods for AI that could enhance your experience.

See my AI compilation list here-----> https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/165560-ai-compilation-list-of-addonsmodsscripts-misc/

Go to the addons and mods section, theres 2 pages, read the descriptions, some mods have videos on their download pages to provide more info on them,

try that and see if any of them make a difference for your experience.

Hope that helps.

Hi jedi_warrior,

you need to tell them "use the force" (sorry couldn't ressist).

Some real tips:

1. The AI is set per default to "realistic soldier behaviour", means: They do not fire at target if not: Ordered to fire, the target actually fires at them. An easy solution (if your like me and don't don't want to order each bullet fired :) ) is "select all" + "3" + "5" (should enable "fire at will"). Now they will fire as soon as an enemy comes into their sight. So don't forget that "hold fire" is your friend if you want to be sneaky!

2. Check the difficulty settings for "own" AI and increase their capabilities. This setting is an "average", so the mission settings still apply, means means: if your AI is set to "newbie" it will become a "good newbie" but not a superman. So crank up the setting if AI is bad. If you like realism, some people recommend overall AI abilities set to 1.0 and aiming to 0.7 or 0.8.

3. running around corners gets Aces killed in RL as in Arma. So avoid running into traps and look how to lure the enemy into yours.

4. Flanking works in Arma just as in RL. AI (and players) get confused and easily killed. So remeber Arma AI will use flanking against you if you give them the chance. And try to use it youself.

Hope that helps a little.

• Like 2

oh one last tip:

an easy trap for "flanking" AI is to place a few of your own AI in a good sniping position behind you. Take the remaining AI and advance (don't forget to use "hold fire" until their in position).

When the enemy AI tries to flank you (behind trees or a hill) your snipers will not only take them under fire (which makes the enemy aktually "flanked"), they will also report the position to your local AI, enabling them to fire at the enemy as soon as they stick their head out of their cover.

If you place an AT guy with your sniper team, he can take out armor that tries to flank you.

With a little luck you can take out whole armies with that setup. May the force be with you :)

9 minutes ago, quiet_man said:

oh one last tip:

an easy trap for "flanking" AI is to place a few of your own AI in a good sniping position behind you. Take the remaining AI and advance (don't forget to use "hold fire" until their in position).

When the enemy AI tries to flank you (behind trees or a hill) your snipers will not only take them under fire (which makes the enemy aktually "flanked"), they will also report the position to your local AI, enabling them to fire at the enemy as soon as they stick their head out of their cover.

If you place an AT guy with your sniper team, he can take out armor that tries to flank you.

With a little luck you can take out whole armies with that setup. May the force be with you :)

Thanx but I am not asking for advise how to use AI. My point is that AI does not listen to orders. I was referring to campaign AI and there is not much equipment that you can give to them. The problem I have with this is that I feel like I "fight" with my AI more than with the enemy AI because they seem so "dumb".

On 25/10/2017 at 12:37 AM, jedi_warrior said:

Hi,

I have just started campaign mode and reached to the point where I am supposed to take the lead of small suad. The issue is that the default AI in the campaign mode are very, very bad: they do not listen to orders, they do completely oposite to what I tell them to do, they freeze, get stuck at repeating some words all the time, they won't advance, they won't fire a launcher even if I put a soldier right ahead of an enemy vehicle, it will just stay and star and wait to get killed ,in fact they are an absolute bullshit. I have no fun in this game because of this. Is there a way to replace those AI with a mod in the campaign mode?

13 minutes ago, jedi_warrior said:

Thanx but I am not asking for advise how to use AI. My point is that AI does not listen to orders. I was referring to campaign AI and there is not much equipment that you can give to them. The problem I have with this is that I feel like I "fight" with my AI more than with the enemy AI because they seem so "dumb".

I am unsure why you think the AI are been dumb, they work perfectly fine (most of the time). How are you organising your squad? Are you running any mods? As this can potentially alter the base game.

46 minutes ago, R0adki11 said:

I am unsure why you think the AI are been dumb, they work perfectly fine (most of the time). How are you organising your squad? Are you running any mods? As this can potentially alter the base game.

Well, when I say they don't fullfill orders then it means they do not fullfill orders - that simple. I just tell them to "Go here" and they don't go without any fire from enemy or they go in a completely oposite way. I run JSRS sound mode and CBA3 mod which have nothing to do with AI.

2 hours ago, jedi_warrior said:

Well, when I say they don't fullfill orders then it means they do not fullfill orders - that simple. I just tell them to "Go here" and they don't go without any fire from enemy or they go in a completely oposite way. I run JSRS sound mode and CBA3 mod which have nothing to do with AI.

This certainly sounds odd, have you tried verifying your game version in steam in case any files are corrupt?

I run JSRS sound mode and CBA3 mod which have nothing to do with AI.

I know JSRS will not have any effects. However i couldn't be sure on CBA.

You could try mad cheese's C2 command and control. Its great for commanding Ai. Easy to find with a quick google search

• Like 1

AIs have their own built in routines wich are supposed to emulate realistic behaviours (if you tell a subordinate to run in front of a MG, there're good chances he will have difficulties agreeing with your tactical capabilities).

It's cool in theory but the implementation has always been wonky in Arma : you do spend as much time struggling with your own squad as actually fighting the enemy... Combine that with pathfinding problems, and a simple mission can become an absolute nightmare to finish.

As @ayoung suggested, C2 could be a good solution. But, honestly, I advise to not focus too much on the campaign, and try to find more immersive scenarios designed by the community : sad thing to say, but some of them do a much better job than BIS at working with the AI limits.

8 hours ago, jedi_warrior said:

You need to be more specific. You tell them to go where? How many enemies were nearby if any? What state were your AI in (Aware/Safe/Combat/Stealth) when you gave the order? Theres just too many variables to answer your question in an exact way.

• Like 1