Sign in to follow this  
Oppenheimer

Apocalypse now mission - where to start?

Hi, well I downloaded that nam pack and the choppers are amazing.

I have got the music off Apocalypse Now (Wagner's Ride of the Valkyrie) and have converted it to an ogg file and it works fine.

However I have just had a very quick go at setting up a mission from one of the scenes in the film where the choopers come over the hill and start atacking that Vietnamese village.

I have only just begun making missions and was wondering if anyone would be interrested if I tried making it a lot better? at the moment all I have is 5 or 6 choppers (gunships) taking off from the main airbase in the north, coming in low over the sea to the afore mentioned music while they blow the hell out of everything smile.gif

I will need a lot of help to do it unfortunately sad.gif I have never made my own mission before and it will simply be a shoot em up air cavalry sort of thing smile.gif

was thinking I could have a fully working base in the north, have a siren sound in the base, fueling and arming of choppers, then perhaps the air cavalry guys running from barracks etc. to the choppers then set it up so that they all take off, go into a holding pattern till the formation is sorted and then to the music of Ride of the Valkyrie they could fly low and fast over the sea to an enemy base (again fully manned) to where you see the choppers blow up everything (is there a script to make the AI fire at random?)

then they return to base - it might end up as a video if I can do it - highly ambitious for me as I havent a clue, but I'll try

Thankyou

errr...so what is your question mate ?

Or do you expect us to do the whole mission setup here ?

Check out some Tut´s that will be more helpful I guess. Some of them and a complete introduction into editing can be found on my homepage.

I was thinking of doing this, all seems fine if your good at scripting (I'm not). I would like to know how you would get simulate the part when the VC grils chucks the grenade into the landed chopper, as thats a crucial part of it. Then you would have to gun her down like a dog.

Will you be having the Napalm strike at the end?

Good luck with it.

Arh I was thinking of making this mission too biggrin.gif. I think I'm pretty good at making mission as I have much experience but I don't really remember much how the movie went. I saw it last time a year ago. I have the full Valkyrie track also.

I suggest you make it a longer mission. First you fight as a gunner on a huey, killing all the vietnamese on the village. The vietnamese could have also some machine guns trying to drop your choppers down making the fight challenging. When the enemies are down you land with all the others and start scouting the surrounding area and so on. This kind of mission could be very nice... and familiar. smile.gif

I thought of making something like that also. I'd have to rent the movie again..lol.

Don't get me wrong Oppenheimer but thats a very aggressive first mission your talkin about there. I'm still trying simple ones.I just barely have the basics down. I learn a few new tricks everytime I try a different scenario. Try to make some simpler missions that have at least one of your objectives(for the pet project) in it and learn from that. Soon you will have the know how to do a all in one. This game is progressing very rapidly. By the time I master a few commands they put out a patch with 100 more. (Not complaining at all):).Nothing you can't do. Gotta luv it.

Keep what you have as a pet project on the side and as ya learn you can build on it.

good luck.

Powerhour