I'm playing about with the BIS Sample files and have made a passable FIA skin for the Caesar BTT. My only real problem with it is that it looks too glossy - like someone has applied 13 layers of turtle wax over the top of 'rough' rattle can camouflage job!

Haphazardly applying my new texture to a Hunter to check for 'gloss' in the skin - I have determined that the shine is coming from the Caesar model itself.

Can anyone point me in the direction of what it is that I need to search for or do to remove this?

Thanks

Jim

pGN5Dbp.jpg

Image 1 - high gloss reflecting off engine, leading wing edge and tailwings while same .paa on Hunter looks matt and flat the way we like it

u1jmfGJ.jpg

Image 2 - light reflection again on wing edge and near side of bonnet - Hunter flat and matt again

I have barely played with retexturing but I have seen a couple of things mentioned in tutorials. The shinyness may come from the various layers or maps used, in this case I think that it is the speculator map which governs reflectiveness of the texture. These files will have the suffix _sm.paa or _smdi.paa.   In the case of the samples I am not sure if they came with all of these different maps or a single psd file with different layers in.

Since ive barely dabbled with these things, I have just added a dark layer on top of any of my own textures which has been sufficient for my purposes.

hope this helps

• Like 1

Also have a look at the .rvmat file. It contains a specularPower variable that influences the total glossiness. I've used it to make the black mx rifles less shiny. It is complicated stuff sometimes, the material values and texture layers together create the visual appearance. So for instance - like you say - making something darker, without adjusting all the texture layers might at the same time make it less glossy.

• Like 2