rksl-rock

Wheels sinking into the ground and other issues.

I'm posting this for a friend (@PE4) since he cant seem to start a topic:

On my copy of Arma3 vehicle wheels are sinking into the ground just after I, or the AI, start driving. The problem occurs with AI driven ground vehicles (without me in the vehicle), and also with myself as a passenger or driving.

WS02.JPG

WS03.JPG

WS06.JPG

WS07.JPG

This all takes place even if the vehicle is AI controlled (with me watching), if I have spawned in with the vehicle or if the vehicle is empty and I get I and start driving.

Usually the vehicle (tracked or wheeled) will drive for a few metres before the wheels or tracks sink into the ground rendering the vehicle immobile. Also, during the brief moments when the vehicle is still mobile, the suspension will often bounce as if going over a small obstacle when the ground is completely flat (this also occurs in a completely empty VR map with only the vehicle present).

I have also had several instances of objects (rifles and boxes) sliding across the ground. Spawning an ammunition box on a slight incline means the item will start to disappear off down the hill. Also items spawned near each other will bounce and often flip (an example being a box sat on by an AI in the vanilla campaign - screenshot included).

The problem takes place in single player (vanilla and modded) with any ground vehicle, but also in multiplayer (I logged into the CCG Malden Wasteland server, spawned a quad bike as a test and the wheels sunk after I started driving).

I've managed to replicate the issue on Malden 2035, Atlis, Stratis, the VR training room, CUP Chenarus and Chenarus Redux.

This all started on a newly rebuilt computer with everything newly installed in an SSD. 

Steps taken in an attempt to rectify the problem (other than pulling my hair out):

1. Verified games files on Steam (and then carried this out after every change).
  2. Deleted PhysX and reinstalled.
  3. Switched PhysX between Auto, CPU and GPU settings.
  4. Deleted the game and then reinstalled.
  5. Tried 32 and 64bit Arma 3.
  6. Tested with a blank, fresh newly created profile in game.

None of which have made any difference to the issue.

System specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

i5-4690k CPU @3.50GHz (4 CPUs)

8192MB RAM

GTX470

List of screenshots (all vanilla, without mods):

WS01 - SP. Wheels sunk in VR, player in vehicle, AI driving.

WS02 - SP. Wheels sunk in VR, player driving.

WS03 - SP. Tracks sunk VR, player in vehicle, AI driving.

WS04 - SP. Tracks sunk on Malden 2035. AI driving without the player getting into the vehicle.

WS05 - SP. Wheels sunk on Malden 2035. AI driving without the player getting into the vehicle.

WS06 - MP. Wheels sunk on CCG Wasteland Malden 2035 after purchasing the quad and attempting to drive off.

WS07 - SP. Wheels sunk after attempting a recce mission on the SP campaign. Player driving.

WS08 - SP. Box bounced away from under an AI in the SP campaign on Atlis.

WS09 - SP. Box bouncing down a hill in Malden 2035.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,   (This is Rock on PE4's PC)

Has anyone come across this before?  We are getting desperate. I really want to get this fixed now.

1. I've now dropped a GTX980 in the machine thinking it might be the card but that has made no difference. 
  2. Switching the Physx settings in the NVIDIA control Panel between, Auto, CPU or GPU makes no difference
  3. The game has been completely reinstalled and patched. Its still doing it in Vanilla.

Help!

PE4 and Rock

Hey and sorry for the issues. I've never seen this before happen "just like that" (it might happen when you reposition a flipped car or so via script). Let's find out.
Btw, do you know about anyone else who's experiencing this?

On 10/12/2017 at 4:48 PM, rksl-rock said:
  1. Deleted PhysX and reinstalled.

By this you mean standard NVIDIA graphics card drivers?

Have you tried Dev-branch and Legacy branch (I guess it was not happening prior to the PhysX update, right?)

2 hours ago, oukej said:

Hey and sorry for the issues. I've never seen this before happen "just like that" (it might happen when you reposition a flipped car or so via script). Let's find out.
Btw, do you know about anyone else who's experiencing this?

By this you mean standard NVIDIA graphics card drivers?

Have you tried Dev-branch and Legacy branch (I guess it was not happening prior to the PhysX update, right?)

Its Rock again. Thanks for replying.

I'm not aware of anyone else with this exact issue.  We've found plenty of references to "sinking vehicles" though.  Most were dismissed as addon related and not purely vanilla. It started happening when we built this PC before the physx update. 

Since the update its less sinking and now its random bouncing and launching vehicles into the air when you place a vehicle in eden.  And it just gets worse when you get in a vehicle and start to drive.  The moment you get out of the vehicle its fine.  And the behaviour was also apparent in MP.  Affecting others that got in the same vehicle.  Or if you get in someone else's vehicle.

• The rig is a new install of Windows 7 Home x64
  • Latest bios
  • Latest Nvidia Drivers 29 Jan 18
    • Yes to deleting/uninstalling Physx via the Windows control panel. 
  • We've tried fresh installs of the game.
    • Dev Build - not the recent ones but ill try again.
    • The behaviour has persisted since October so its gone through a few build iterations prior to the latest PhysX update.
  • Even replaced the GTX470 with a GTX980 in the vain hope it was hardware.

I just don't know what to do next. :down:

EDIT:  Just tried the latest Dev build and its just as bad.

Try to create a new player profile in the game. Do not configure anything, just try to reproduce the problem with the new profile.

5 minutes ago, lex__1 said:

Try to create a new player profile in the game. Do not configure anything, just try to reproduce the problem with the new profile.

Already done that on the new install and with the dev build an hour ago.Its just the same :(

I have encountered such a problem in the game, but it was very rare and random, systematically no problems arose.

In the game-settings \ add-ons, check for the absence of recording additions Mods.

I do get this occasionally too. It is always with freshly script spawned vehicles, most often when they are not on flat ground

13 minutes ago, Tankbuster said:

I do get this occasionally too. It is always with freshly script spawned vehicles, most often when they are not on flat ground

Well this is pure vanilla.

• Confused 1

After installing the game, did the HDD defragmentation? In the NVidia settings, what is selected for processing PhysX?

It looks like an unstable play of physics in the game.

1 hour ago, PE4 said:

Well this is pure vanilla.

Yes, pure vanilla here too

7 hours ago, lex__1 said:

After installing the game, did the HDD defragmentation? In the NVidia settings, what is selected for processing PhysX?

I'm curious as to why you think HDD fragmentation might be a cause.

17 minutes ago, Tankbuster said:

I'm curious as to why you think HDD fragmentation might be a cause.

Fragmented Hard Drives cause every computer issue. :)

7 hours ago, lex__1 said:

Defraging is not the issue.  Besides if you read the post you'll see its a new install on a new HD.  No time for it to be fragmented.   And you NEVER defrag an SSD.  It shortens the life considerably.

We've tried all the options for physx in the Nvidia control panel.  GPU/CPU/Auto.  Same results.

• Sad 1

These vehicles, are they damaged before they sink? I've found only damaged ones sunk.

4 minutes ago, Tankbuster said:

These vehicles, are they damaged before they sink? I've found only damaged ones sunk.

LOL No.  They are freshly placed vehicles with 100% health.

The original pics are pre the A3 Physx update.  The video is post the update.

It's not helpful, I know, but I can't replicate it. My hunter doesn't jiggle its suspension like yours.

Your video *looks* like the vehicle is negotiating rough terrain even though it's in VR. Are you absolutely sure you haven't loaded a mod by accident?

31 minutes ago, Tankbuster said:

It's not helpful, I know, but I can't replicate it. My hunter doesn't jiggle its suspension like yours.

Your video *looks* like the vehicle is negotiating rough terrain even though it's in VR. Are you absolutely sure you haven't loaded a mod by accident?

Really Paul?

After 15 years in this game series you think i'd be so dumb?  

The entire point of this is that we can't replicate it elsewhere. Nor have we been able to change the behaviour, have you not read the full thread?

You've done dumber things! I know.. I was there and helped! :)

Seriously though, it is very odd and although I occasionally see similar things, it's almost always with vehicles that have been placed by a script on sloping ground and for reasons unknown, take some damage while that's happening. That's clearly not what you're seeing.

12 minutes ago, Tankbuster said:

You've done dumber things! I know.. I was there and helped! :)

Seriously though, it is very odd and although I occasionally see similar things, it's almost always with vehicles that have been placed by a script on sloping ground and for reasons unknown, take some damage while that's happening. That's clearly not what you're seeing.

Really when?

I would have thought its apparent its not a scripted situation from the description i wrote.  This is an issue with the core game. 

Check this out. Open Game settings, under-Extensions, check the absence of extraneous recordings of addons mods. Sometimes it happens with broken mods that they are not visible on the main screen, but are present in the list.

31 minutes ago, lex__1 said:

Check this out. Open Game settings, under-Extensions, check the absence of extraneous recordings of addons mods. Sometimes it happens with broken mods that they are not visible on the main screen, but are present in the list.

I appreciate the effort but we've never loaded any mods on this install.  Its a completely clean install.

11 minutes ago, rksl-rock said:

I appreciate the effort but we've never loaded any mods on this install.  Its a completely clean install.

Have you deleted a player's profile folder before the new game installation? Perhaps the consequences of the previous installation mods?  The player profile does not change when you make a new game installation.  Previous problems can also be created when you create a new profile.

2 minutes ago, lex__1 said:

Have you deleted a player's profile folder before the new game installation? Perhaps the consequences of the previous installation mods?  The player profile does not change when you make a new game installation. Later, the previous problems can also be changed when you create a new profile.

You arent understanding this.  I've said this several times.

Its a fresh install of the entire operating system & game.  There are no previous profiles.