Jump to content
strider42

ACE - Advance Medical - Bandage Effectiveness

Recommended Posts

ACE 3 - Advanced Medical - Bandage Effectiveness

The ACE Wiki pages have a sheet that displays the bandage effectiveness but this appears to be out of date and is missing the time the wound will reopen and start to bleed again.

 

What I thought would be better:

  • Something that printed better with larger text.
  • Simple: small values bad; large values good system. (That means I inverted the chance of a wound reopening to become the chance of closing the wound).
  • Scale value so they are all similar. So no 1, 0.45; instead 100, 45.
  • Reorder the list order so the common wounds are at the top.
  • Highlight the best bandage for effectiveness and closing for a particular wound.

 

I wrote a script to extract the advanced medical bandage effectiveness and chance of reopening. I then copied these into a spreadsheet and below is the result:
 

Spoiler

yr1hXT4.png

 

 

 

 

The short:

Yellow bandage: Is the first bandage you should use.

Blue bandage: If the yellow bandage results in a partial wound then use the blue bandage.

Green bandage: If you are a medic and can stitch the wound up you can use the green bandage (it should be the most effective and so take less to stop bleeding) but the stitching of the wound needs to be done in a timely fashion.

 

Table details:

The wounds are split into 4 rows. The first 3 are for the wound size: Large, Medium and Small (called Minor by ACE). The fourth row has the average time to the wound re-opening [ (max_time + min_time) / 2 ] and the minimum time, in that order and they are the same for each wound type.

The Effect column indicates the likelihood of a bandage sealing a wound with 100 meaning on average the wound will be sealed with a single bandage. So a value of 50 would imply you would need 2 bandages but some randomisation is added to this.

The Close column is the chance that the bandage will permanently seal the wound and not start to bleed later on.

 

The long:

Example of a Large Avulsion:

I recommend the packing bandage. It may appear that the elastic would be better because it has a higher effect value. However what is crucial here is the time to the wound reopning as both only have a 30% chance of permanently sealing the wound so 70% of the time the wound will open again and for the elastic the average time is only just over 2 minutes, whereas the packing bandage will seal for over 21 minutes. Enough time to find a medic to stitch the wound up.

The obvious disadvantage of using the packing bandage is it is less likely to seal a wound but should give us a good chance of the wound becoming a partial one. If this happens then switch to using the quick-clot. This is not as effective but we are now only trying to close a partial wound and the quick-clot has the advantage of 80% chance of permanently sealing the wound and a similarly long time to reopening.

 

Wow! This looks complicated

The detailed information is meant for medics. Most wounds you receive will be Avulsion, Velocity and Puncture.  They all use the same set of bandages.  i.e. apply a packing bandage; If a partial wound results apply a quick-clot but in truth another packing bandage is almost as good, just make sure you get the medic to stich up the wound.

 

 

Medics' crib sheet

Spoiler

l4qMwB3.png

PDF Download: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AnX2_vGoXf5F9hBWk1keOGO7QRuY

Squadies' crib sheet

Spoiler

6eHsgjJ.png

PDF Download: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AnX2_vGoXf5F9g-N555r4I38aFsE

 

Resources:

ACE Advance Medical System: https://ace3mod.com/wiki/feature/medical-system.html#22-advanced

ACE 3 Advanced Medical + Cheat Sheet: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=930706887 (a valuable inspiration for creating my own version)

 

Enjoy  S

Edited by strider42
version 2.01 - with crib sheets
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been updating my original bandage effectiveness. It will have a cheat/crib-sheet for medics and one for everyone else. I have edited the first post to reflect my current thinking and changes in bandage effectiveness. In particular I take into account how quickly a bandage is likely to open. S

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work @strider42

I think I'll have to snag this and use it in my medical class I am teaching.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a general point I would like to highglight about bandage names.  ACE documentation (and the Medical Menu) use different names to the items as seen in cargo space like uniforms, crates and virtual arsenals:

    ** ACE **    | ** Game (Item) Name **

Field Dressing   | Bandage (Basic)

Packing Bandage  | Packing Bandage

Elastic Bandage  | Bandage (Elastic)

QuickClot        | Basic Field Dressing (QuickClot)

This will be sorted in the medical re-write.  S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you thought about getting your graphics onto the official ace wiki? Would be awesome if more people get to know this stuff.

What software did you use to make these awesome crib sheets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an asside:

The cribsheet is created with InkScape,  a vector graphics tool.  Takes a bit of getting your head around if you are used to pixel based systems but for this sort of thing it is excellent.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, strider42 said:

As an asside:

The cribsheet is created with InkScape,  a vector graphics tool.  Takes a bit of getting your head around if you are used to pixel based systems but for this sort of thing it is excellent.

You forgot the most important part: Inkscape, a free vector graphics tool. 🙂 I love this program.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×