dlegion

Battleye and anticheat in general

hi all.
its more or less a week that i run 2 servers, one with a domination mission, and the other with a TDM.
on both servers in different occasions, i see with my own eyes people cheating in every way, teleporting, making things like explosion rain happen ecc...
not only breaking the gameplay, but in some cases also choking the server to the point it started lagging badly.
in both cases battleye was OFF, so lets say its "my fault", but when i sadly writed in chat "i will put battleye ON", the cheaters laughted and writed it was useless.
so.... i wish to know if battleye stops this or how else stop this!

as a side note, i wish to add an info, dunno if its important: to keep maximum compatibility, my servers use scripts to enhance vanilla, and i wish to allow the bigger player base possible to join my servers, thats why i made it native compatible.
for example some friends use CUP and other things like that, i wish to maintain compatibility if possible!
thanks for any help!

Battleye will help against most people you have problems with.. But it won't help against the real Hackers.. But honestly they probably won't join your server and act like kids.

its a good start!
i have to worry about wrongly banned friends if they use mods like CUP ?

Not quite sure what you are getting at with "maintain compatibility" and  "...if they use mods..."? Are you not verifying v2 signatures? That's an open invitation for anyone to do anything they want on your server, BattlEye or not.

heh....thats exactly what i mean....i'm a total noob about this...i really have no idea of what are you talking about "verify signatures".
here's the situation:
my server run "vanilla" arma3 , plus a lot of scripts to enhance vanilla, plus 2 mods : ares and enhanced movements, that i see are compatible with 100% pure vanilla (even if they dont have mod they can join and play).
i wish to mantain this kind of compatibility, and take every possible action to stop cheaters.
i'm a total noob about battleye, but i read that he bans permanently from every server (not just mine) everyone cheating, and my fear is to do something "wrong" like enable it, a friend with his CUP or other mods try join me and get banned forever from all servers!

please help, really thanks !

"Vanilla" means no mods, period.

Scripts in your mission file are irrelevant.

ARES is only required by the server and any players who have access to ZEUS. The same must also run CBA.

Enhanced Movement is client-only, so it does not need to run on the server.

With that out of the way...

Signature verification is how a server admin controls what mods a client may/must use on the server. If you aren't verifying signatures, anyone can join your server with any mod loaded, including mods they have specifically created for the purpose of cheating/causing general mayhem. A public, non-passworded, non-BE server that doesn't verify signatures is a scriptkiddie's wet dream.

You should read up on server.cfg. Follow all of the relevant links on that page, particularly anything related to server security.

Of course, read up on Addon Signatures as well.

thanks for the info @Harzach  !!

the only difference i noticed:
ARES run also without CBA, does all it should with no apparent problems.
ENHANCED MOVEMENTS if not run on server, does not allow players with it to use it in game. dunno if i did something wrong, but my test say so.

after you mentioned it in previous post, i readed already a bit about signatures v2....but honestly didnt understood well...
...so i can enable signatures, and have people without (for example) ARES or EM join my server ?

huge thanks for your help !

....did some tests....seems that enabling signatures, i can't enter with enahced movements and ares.
need help on this...thanks

EDIT....  @Haz helped me on this, and was a problem of "server keys". adding mods keys allowed people to join server! yeah !

....same old story.
new update, new bugs that DESTROY the game.

this time its " battleye initialization failed", a new error when trying to connect to dedicated server.
- updated the client game, and veriefied game cache.
- updated the dedicated server tool, verified game cache also here.
- with battleye OFF it works, let people connect to server. with it ON, gives this error and dont allow clients to connect.

great work BIS, now please, please PLEASE, go in holiday FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES, AND NERVER UPDATE AGAIN ARMA3.

THANKS.

The only way to actively keep your server clean would be to whitelist players.

You can still have one or another messing stuff up but you can get rid of him once and for all.

Once found an italian domination server with debug console (!) enabled.

Fun times were had.

Cheers