Baraz

What are the advantages of a dedicated server ?

I am a Zeus noob, researching about the technicalities of hosting a campaign. 
First, I understand that a dedicated server means it is hosted on a computer (acting as a server) other than the hosting service offered freely by BI [Arma 3 Steam servers]. I have watched a few videos about the awesome TADST tool. 

But I have not found any post up to now explaining what are the advantages. 

Options : I noticed TADST offers many options.  Can these same options all be integrated in a mission file hosted on the BI normal servers, or is there an advantage to using a dedicated one?

Performance : will my CPU (i7 2600S), with an SSD disk, offer any advantage in terms of performance?  Internet speed: about 30 Mb (no bandwidth limit). 

Size : does a dedicated server store big amounts of live data on the local disk ?

Stability : if CPU or GPU crash, I presume the effect is different if it is the dedicated server and not only the Zeus/gamemaster computer hosting a game on the normal BI hosting system. 

There may be a basic structural info I am not getting here, so I was hoping some here could shed a bit of light on this.  I am a webmaster normally, so I should grasp most concepts you will dish out. :P

41 minutes ago, Baraz said:

...the hosting service offered freely by BI.

...a mission file hosted on the BI normal servers...

I think you are confusing local host/listen server to some sort of service BI is(n't) providing.

57 minutes ago, Harzach said:

I think you are confusing local host/listen server to some sort of service BI is(n't) providing.

You can hold a campaign (specific missions you made) on the Steam servers related to Arma 3. 

My understanding is that a dedicated server uses an independent host computer as server instead of the above service. 

Am I wrong ?

You can upload mission files/campaigns/mods to the Steam Workshop, but I'm not aware of any free Arma 3 game servers available anywhere.

If you want a server for you and your friends (or anyone else) to join and play on, you can either host a local/listen server via the Arma 3 launcher or in-game multiplayer server browser, or you can rent a dedicated server from any of the many game server services out there*. I have a feeling that the former is what you are actually referring to.

*You can, of course, also keep a dedicated server box of your own or host a dedicated server from the same box you run your client on, though this will obviously be extremely demanding of your PC if you have many other clients connecting. You will also want to ensure your internet service will be able to support the traffic.

Keep in mind that not all missions are designed to run in all environments.

13 minutes ago, Harzach said:

You can upload mission files/campaigns/mods to the Steam Workshop, but I'm not aware of any free Arma 3 game servers available anywhere.

If you want a server for you and your friends (or anyone else) to join and play on, you can either host a local/listen server via the Arma 3 launcher or in-game multiplayer server browser, or you can rent a dedicated server from any of the many game server services out there*. I have a feeling that the former is what you are actually referring to.

*You can, of course, also keep a dedicated server box of your own or host a dedicated server from the same box you run your client on, though this will obviously be extremely demanding of your PC if you have many other clients connecting. You will also want to ensure your internet service will be able to support the traffic.

Keep in mind that not all missions are designed to run in all environments.

In the Arma 3 client, under the Multiplayer tab > Server Browser > button Host Server (select Internet or LAN, making sure the needed ports are opened).  From there, you can host your created missions online via that Steam service.  You can use both the premade missions or your own Editor/Zeus missions. 

Here is a video made by the famous Luetin about it : 

I have to presume that the expression dedicated server means you are using your own computer as the true host of the server files (made accessible by Steam for download).

That "service" is you hosting a local/listen server on your client PC. The environment is different than that of a dedicated server. A dedicated server is a completely separate PC box (or at the least a separate process running on your client PC).

The server, be it your local/listen server or a dedicated server, is always the source of the mission file. Steam is simply a hub through which clients can find servers.

Steam is not hosting anything in either case.

1 minute ago, Harzach said:

That "service" is you hosting a local/listen server on your client PC. The environment is different than that of a dedicated server. A dedicated server is a completely separate PC box (or at the least a separate process running on your client PC).

The server, be it your local/listen server or a dedicated server, is always the source of the mission file. Steam is simply a hub through which clients can find servers.

Steam is not hosting anything in either case.

Ah, thank you. 

From your answer, and something I just read elsewhere, what some nickname a proper dedicated server is a computer being used only to host as such.  The Admin/Zeus/Gamemaster is on another computer as normal with the Arma 3 client.  This should improve performance and hopefully the dedicated server computer should crash less often as no one is really playing on it (and the Arma 3 client is logically closed also).  Also explains why some were proposing one should ideally use an extra Steam account (though probably not necessary).