I thinky my buddy Gunny can assist. If not im willing to experiment with some surfaces :)

Hi all! I updated the first post with another new video!

59 minutes ago, scotg said:

Hi all! I updated the first post with another new video!

Damn Scot...

You are some type of magician...

Units and vehicles are amazing...

:don11:

You get the coveted bouncing smiley

Kudos Sir!

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, cosmic10r said:

Damn Scot...

You are some type of magician...

Units and vehicles are amazing...

:don11:

You get the coveted bouncing smiley

Kudos Sir!

Mmmmm... those are tasty granola bars! https://www.google.com/search?q=kudos+bars&client=ms-android-att-us&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjO87WFhe3YAhUB5GMKHfGfCMAQ_AUIEigC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=8FiwsjWA7kOaKM:

G'day @scotg,

Love the look of the FANG. Can't wait for this to be released. Keep up the good work.

• Thanks 1

Are you really Destro pretending to be an ARMA guy? Since it seems you are the one supplying Cobra all these fantastic toys!

Love that FANG! Remember to add 2 mount points on the skids like the toy so we can carry 2 more troopers to the battlegrounds!

Also will you add sitting positions on the hiss near the top of the turret similar to this:

maxresdefault.jpg

That would bring back so many childhood memories!

Lastly, everything looks so good! I cannot wait to join the Cobra forces!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Valken I might make a version of the FANG with benches instead of missiles. Otherwise, the two cannot exist on the same bird. 

For the HISS, I won't be focusing on troop transport. There'll be special vehicles for that. However, if a trooper needs a quick lift he can stand on the back deck and hang on for a short while. Left side might be unhealthy, since it's in the path of exhaust. 

Hey everyone, just so we're all clear: The Cobra troopers that appear in these videos and screenshots are only sporting a helmet by me - oh and I edited the diffuse texture of the uniform with the blue fabric and Cobra sigil. Everything else is BIS - uniform model and shaders, head, mask, weapons, gear, etc. I can only take credit for the helmet and recolor.

Sorry for double post, but I just wanted to make sure it's known.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, scotg said:

Hey everyone, just so we're all clear: The Cobra troopers that appear in these videos and screenshots are only sporting a helmet by me - oh and I edited the diffuse texture of the uniform with the blue fabric and Cobra sigil. Everything else is BIS - uniform model and shaders, head, mask, weapons, gear, etc. I can only take credit for the helmet and recolor.

Sorry for double post, but I just wanted to make sure it's known.

I could tell with the vest. 

But as a package... very believable...

Great job!

• Thanks 1

Hmmm... the FANG doesn't seem very popular so far. I'm certain it will be a blast to fly or a thrill to kill.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scotg said:

Hmmm... the FANG doesn't seem very popular so far. I'm certain it will be a blast to fly or a thrill to kill.

? who is saying that?

• Like 1

G'day Scotg,

I think the FANG is going to be a great addition to the game. As you mentioned you might add a troop carrying version, that would be very useful too.

Watching your FANG Intro video, the chopper looks very maneuverable and agile.

Would you consider adding different skinned versions to represent possible Foreign sales of the FANG? After all Destro is an International Arms Dealer.

I can't wait to see the mod released. The Rattler looks pretty good too, even though it was only a teaser prescence.

Please keep up the good work.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cosmic10r said:

? who is saying that?

Nobody is, but it also doesn't seem to be catching as much interest as the other two featured vehicle videos did. It could be just bad timing, right?

3 hours ago, wansec_6 said:

G'day Scotg,

I think the FANG is going to be a great addition to the game. As you mentioned you might add a troop carrying version, that would be very useful too.

Watching your FANG Intro video, the chopper looks very maneuverable and agile.

Would you consider adding different skinned versions to represent possible Foreign sales of the FANG? After all Destro is an International Arms Dealer.

I can't wait to see the mod released. The Rattler looks pretty good too, even though it was only a teaser prescence.

Please keep up the good work.

Thanks! I'm glad someone mentioned the Rattler. I was excited to make this video because it "leaks" the Rattler taking off (this being the first time anyone has demoed a "life-size" VTOL A-10 in motion, AFAIK), but I was also trying to make this segment a little more entertaining. It's hard to do as one guy with a bunch of uncooperative bots and very limited camera angle options. It would be nice if there was a feature in A3 that allowed me to play back a mission sequence as it was played and capture it at any angle with smooth motions.

I get a few questions about different paint jobs, versions, and weapon systems for these vehicles, and these are valid queries. Considering the volume of vehicles that I am attempting to produce, I can only do my best to future-ready such conversions. While I am (so far) only making one version with up to maybe three paint schemes per vehicle, I am also designing them in such a way that will hopefully facilitate those changes if time allows for the additional work it involves. In other words, I'm trying to make the changeable areas of these vehicles modular, if possible, even if I'm not making all the extra components. The versions of these vehicles we have grown most familiar with will usually be the available version, but the configs will also feature a bare-bones set of parameters - a hypothetical setup that isn't accessed in-game but allows for potential upgrades to be defined later. The most likely vehicles to have body and weapons variations are the VAMP and Stinger. Many of the aircraft might have load out variations, or it might be better to allow a dynamic arrangement to be determined by server admins or something like that.

• Like 4

Hey everyone! I just wanted to keep you all informed that I've been reworking the VAMP, and after that I will start the Stinger. Currently, I have 3D models of each that look like this:

VAMP vs Stinger

However, these models are not exactly A3 friendly, yet. While correcting some optimization issues, I've also noticed some scaling and proportions problems that were overlooked when I made these a few years ago. Also, I'm going to redesign the Stinger as a 2-door pickup; this will basically be a LM002 mimicking the 2-door HMMWV chassis used for the Avenger AN/TWQ. I may still use the 4-door LM002 for Cobra's main jeep, unarmed or with a mg cupola.

When these are done they'll be well detailed and very capable, but more importantly, they'll be a lot more distinguished apart than their toy counterparts are!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

just WOW!!! Nice work. Love to see someone has taken this. Could you go in to your long term project plans???   I wish you the best of luck and GOD SPEED!!

• Thanks 1

Wow, these are some damn smexy designs. Almost makes me regret not watching GI-joe. If I had only known :(

15 minutes ago, paecmaker said:

Wow, these are some damn smexy designs. Almost makes me regret not watching GI-joe. If I had only known :(

Thanks for the compliment!

Nobody will hold that against you. It wasn't emmy-award-winning TV by any stretch, and the movies were generic sci-fi garbage using a few familiar characters and a new GI Joe logo slapped on them - not my GI Joe. That being said, part of the reason why I want to do this mod is to bring back the original GI Joe and Cobra equipment with a realistic twist. I want to show where the ideas for some of the vehicle designs came from, and then show how they'd work within a military/combat setting, such as what Arma3 provides.

It really bugs me how media executives get hold of a great franchise and totally make it into something else, not to mention how the original creators or current copyright owners tend to keep reinventing their properties these days. Look at Gotham, the TV show. The show will end when Bruce Wayne finally becomes Batman, but by then, after all that has happened, his emergence will be like, "so what? Yawn." The show's concept was in a good position to tell an interesting back story of Commissioner Gordon, but instead it turned out just another sloppy WB/DC Superhero/Supervillain drama (without the superhero). I digress...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, scotg said:

Thanks for the compliment!

It really bugs me how media executives get hold of a great franchise and totally make it into something else, not to mention how the original creators or current copyright owners tend to keep reinventing their properties these days. Look at Gotham, the TV show. The show will end when Bruce Wayne finally becomes Batman, but by then, after all that has happened, his emergence will be like, "so what? Yawn." The show's concept was in a good position to tell an interesting back story of Commissioner Gordon, but instead it turned out just another sloppy WB/DC Superhero/Supervillain drama (without the superhero). I digress...

I actually like Gotham, but I definitly don't see it as a prequel to batman, but more like "Batman" without batman. Like it's some alternate reality or something.

I think that's enough batman here, don't want to derail this thread. :p

No but seriously, I am looking very hard for more futuristically looking assets so this is just up my alley :).

• Like 1

Just wanted to stop by and say hello and say that the videos on the original post look outstanding! I have been thinking about doing a GI JOE themed mission on workshop for about a year now and have worked on some ideas with making characters with certain uniform combos using existing mods, etc. I'm always poking around on workshop for mods that could be used in some way or at least inspire ideas, etc.

I have found two mods on workshop that I thought I would bring up for idea references for the project.

Tracers
The tracers only work on vanilla weapons... but I would imagine something like this could be expanded, giving shots fired an even more bright, laser look. It would require also changing the fired shot sounds to various types of blaster or laser shots. You could use vanilla weapons and just enhance the way they fire and pull off everything without having to create weapon models, etc. It seems a little more feasible.

Spoiler

Star Wars Weapons
The weapons sound pretty good. They sound like blasters, etc. The models look pretty good as well. Nothing I would use in GI JOE but the ideas and concept that might work for this project are there.

Edited by FallujahMedic -FM-
Star Wars Mods violate Corporate IP rights
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Donnie_Plays said:

Tracers
The tracers only work on vanilla weapons... but I would imagine something like this could be expanded, giving shots fired an even more bright, laser look. It would require also changing the fired shot sounds to various types of blaster or laser shots. You could use vanilla weapons and just enhance the way they fire and pull off everything without having to create weapon models, etc. It seems a little more feasible.

@Donnie_PlaysThanks for checking in! It's always good to see interest in the mod, for sure. Public interest is better than facebook , in my opinion, for that much needed dopamine fix we all crave!

These links are great, but we're doing a more realistic take on GI Joe, the way it was meant before studio executives said "no-no" to cartoon violence (but not holding that against them). I appreciate the mildness of GI Joe cartoons from my childhood, but in this more realistic "simulation" we want to simulate real bullets and missiles.

This is still useful information, indeed! While blaster rifles may not be the standard weapon, there are plans for weapons that emulate LASERs (spelled as an acronym on purpose). These are large, high energy consumption devices that cannot simply be carried around as a personal weapon. Here is a prime example of the possible rare inclusion of a LASER (Note that the included operator is an expert in conventional weapons, the M16 and M1911):

Spoiler

37855.jpg

Of course, I would have to investigate real life LASER technology and make design changes accordingly.

• Like 2

this is amazing stuff. keep up the great work. some reason i could not find this thread in mods discussion. 

• Like 1

@jandrewsYou have older posts in this thread. LOL.

The thread has been renamed, by suggestion of moderators, to avoid BIS policy conflicts, and thus avoid getting removed. I was told it's the reason why a certain very, very popular sci-fi franchise mod covering an ancient and extremely remote universe has been forced to leave mod discussion (pun intended).

The advice was basically to say the mod is inspired by GI Joe, which is actually more accurate than to say it is GI Joe, because I have clearly put a lot of work, unique design, and research into developing and distinguishing these assets.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2018 at 11:10 AM, scotg said:

@jandrewsYou have older posts in this thread. LOL.

The thread has been renamed, by suggestion of moderators, to avoid BIS policy conflicts, and thus avoid getting removed. I was told it's the reason why a certain very, very popular sci-fi franchise mod covering an ancient and extremely remote universe has been forced to leave mod discussion (pun intended).

The advice was basically to say the mod is inspired by GI Joe, which is actually more accurate than to say it is GI Joe, because I have clearly put a lot of work, unique design, and research into developing and distinguishing these assets.

Oh. now i know and KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE !            YOOOOOO JOE!

FEED US MORE PLEASE!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jandrews said:

FEED US MORE PLEASE

Yes, sorry. I have been battling with setting up Mikero's Tools properly to help workflow. In doing so, I have lost the ability to make anything new at all. My overconfidence and trust allowed me to lose all packed vehicles. So, once I get either Mikero's Tools or the way things were, working, then I can get back to providing more screenshots, videos, etc.