Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Update 19-NOV-18:

Quote

Fight for Freedom! Alpha Release is now available on Steam!
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1566817695

 

Just a little reminder that this is Alpha, meaning there is a lot of work that still needs to be done before it is even plotting the path to completion. That being said, get out there and have fun with it!

 

Update 07-OCT-18:
Alpha Release expected soon. Info here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/21916890

Update 14-MAY-18:
Formerly titled "Vehicles and Gear Inspired by GI Joe"

Update 26-Aug-18:
New videos added to the YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ContingentCG

Update 26-APR-18:
Due to viewer requests I have started a Patreon for this project. https://www.patreon.com/Rooster3D.

 

Small update. 05-MAR-18
Title of discussion thread changed in order to avoid policy conflicts. If you were looking for the older thread name and found this one, this is not new. It's merely renamed.

Update! 22-JAN-18: Here's another video for you all featuring the FANG helicopter. Enjoy!

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update! 20-OCT-17: I've changed the name of this thread to encompass more assets and reflect on the whole mod focus, and I have a new video to show. Enjoy!

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original post:

Hey everyone! I just wanted to share some footage of part of the mod I'm working on. I packaged it up into an informative and entertaining video for you all. Right now it's a vehicle mod, but I intend to release some soldier gear and possibly some environmental objects. There's some (necessary) descriptive narration in the beginning, but the video gets more interesting after about 2 minutes.

 

  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G'day scotg,

 

Wow, what an amazing vehicle. Was a big fan of the Joes. Are you planning on creating any of the other G.I. Joe vehicles?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wansec_6 said:

G'day scotg,

 

Wow, what an amazing vehicle. Was a big fan of the Joes. Are you planning on creating any of the other G.I. Joe vehicles?

Thanks!

I believe these might interest you:

- GI Joe 3D
- ArmA III Mod Assets

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is fantastic. Will You consider adding versions with vanilla Arma 3 M134 Minigun and/or .50 cal M2 MG on the roof?

 

BTW AVE Striker toy was based on Chenowth Fast Attack Vehicle of which first examples were delivered to 9th Infantry Division in 1982.

 

Regards.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bolo861 said:

This is fantastic. Will You consider adding versions with vanilla Arma 3 M134 Minigun and/or .50 cal M2 MG on the roof?

 

BTW AVE Striker toy was based on Chenowth Fast Attack Vehicle of which first examples were delivered to 9th Infantry Division in 1982.

 

Regards.

Thank you much! I have two versions of my own M2 that might go there. My goal is to make the vehicles as they are more commonly seen first, but keeping in mind different weapon configurations and such for future variety. After a few releases I will go back and start working on the variations.


You're right about the FAV. I believe I mentioned something about it in the video, but not in so many words. In a nutshell, I started off with how the NAVY DPV is newer than the AWE Striker and couldn't have been the influence, and I continued with how the earlier ARMY FAV is the more likely source of inspiration.
 

6 hours ago, Valken said:

Old School GI Joe RAH fan here! Keep up the good work!

Thanks! It's good to know I'm not the only one, and I hope to make it more appealing to more folks with my re-imagined and true-to-life designs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, scotg said:

Thanks!

I believe these might interest you:

- GI Joe 3D
- ArmA III Mod Assets

 

 

Oh my God, please tell me we will have a GI Joe mod with all of these assets someday. I can see myself making a mission based on the GI Joe comic book Silent Interlude, issue #21. 

 

You are bringing back many childhood memories for me.

 

ETA, the classic 80's song Jump is perfect for your video, nicely done, you made this Gen Xer's day. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stburr91 said:

 

 

Oh my God, please tell me we will have a GI Joe mod with all of these assets someday. I can see myself making a mission based on the GI Joe comic book Silent Interlude, issue #21. 

 

You are bringing back many childhood memories for me.

 

 

I am indeed working on a bigger GI Joe mod than just a few vehicles, but this is just the beginning, strangely enough. I started doing GI Joe mods in 2004 with Unreal Tournament 2004, and switched to Battlefield 2, then Crysis/Crysis 2. I took some time away from game mods while serving in the real US Army as a 25U, and now I'm focused on converting and updating the assets for ArmA 3 (I was unaware of ArmA games until right before A3 Alpha was released). The GI Joe- and Cobra-inspired assets I created have evolved into more developed projects as the games have become more sophisticated, and for each game I have had to modify the assets to conform to different formats. I have some written documentation and unwritten plans that are part of a much larger scope, but I will need to get a lot more talented, interested people on board. So far, I've gotten really positive reaction, but the numbers are low. I am thinking about starting a Patreon or Kickstarter to back the funding for this. At the moment, I am a stay-at-home dad of two girls, developing game assets between diaper changes, formula/milk/juice refills, meal prep, cleaning, play time, and nap time. I never actually get to play ArmA 3 unless I am testing something I've made, and I haven't even been on a public server since A3 Beta was the most up-to-date version.

But I'm not throwing a pity party for myself; I just want to present my work to test public reaction, then possibly look into recruiting if that goes well. :-)

If you're interested in seeing the previous assets I created - what they have evolved from, I have set up some subsections in my deviantArt gallery.
GI Joe for UT2004 - These were basically toy-to-game models, without much thought given to any real-world design or proportion.
GI Joe for Crysis - These were starting to become more realized for the confines of reality - an important step towards today's versions. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G'day scotg,

 

Those are some pretty cool models you've got there. Can't wait to see them released. Wish I could help, but I have no modding skills whatsoever. Good luck with it and hopefully you are able to get the help you need.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're a Real American Hero!

 

Want it! I'd love too see any of the old GI Joe stuff in ArmA. Cool stuff brother.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, scotg said:

...
If you're interested in seeing the previous assets I created - what they have evolved from, I have set up some subsections in my deviantArt gallery.
GI Joe for UT2004 - These were basically toy-to-game models, without much thought given to any real-world design or proportion.
GI Joe for Crysis - These were starting to become more realized for the confines of reality - an important step towards today's versions. 

 

Oh man... that just brings back memories!!! Would love to see the Trouble Bubbles, VAMP (my FIRST GI JOE vehicle), Skyhawk (2nd vehicle), Water Moccasin and that cool Rattler! We already have the CSAT Viper units which can be Cobra Vipers and recoloring a pilot to Wild Weasel colors should not be hard at all!!! It's like being a kid all over again. 

 

I would kill to see a huge upgraded modern and more realistic Terrordome in ARMA! 

 

Know that I am a total talent-less hack but if there is anything I can help you with, I would be glad to when I am not travelling.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be influenced by the music, but this thing is cool :eyeheart:

 

How good is it at fighting while doing these jumps?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, in005 said:

I might be influenced by the music, but this thing is cool :eyeheart:

 

How good is it at fighting while doing these jumps?

Thanks! I agree that the music seems to help attract more people. It's fun to drive, but not so fun when watching someone else drive without music.

Fighting is yet to be determined, as I haven't configured the weapon yet. I wouldn't consider it a run-&-gun vehicle, though. It's more of a "get to a good firing spot and let loose, then scram" kind of vehicle. The weapon is a 10-round, 70mm launcher as per the original toy specs, but it doesn't say what it launches. So, I am going to have to design custom huge 70mm grenades for it. I've got the ammo and ammo case dimensions, but it just comes down to what does a grenade look like for this? Also, there will be a targeting gun on the dash, which the passenger will hold like a sidearm or rifle. It will have a screen and will hopefully have a target-lock or optional fire at will system. I hope that's the right terminology.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2017 at 1:56 PM, stburr91 said:

ETA, the classic 80's song Jump is perfect for your video, nicely done, you made this Gen Xer's day. 

You know, I was gonna go with welcome to the jungle, but after seeing the jumanji trailer I lost my appetite for G&R.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, Scotg, what a pleasant suprise! I still have my GI JOE vehicles (and most of my toy soldiers) safe and stashed on my closet and being able to revive my glorious days of creating complicated and dramatic plots (while I was 10 yo, back to 1986) for those plastic little mens (and women, like Scarlet etc) now Virtualized by RV4 engine is PRICELESS... I´ll keep a keen eye on this thread and loved the video... anxious to JUMP with your recreation of the AWE Striker... kudos man!

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, corporal_lib[br] said:

Wow, Scotg, what a pleasant suprise! I still have my GI JOE vehicles (and most of my toy soldiers) safe and stashed on my closet and being able to revive my glorious days of creating complicated and dramatic plots (while I was 10 yo, back to 1986) for those plastic little mens (and women, like Scarlet etc) now Virtualized by RV4 engine is PRICELESS... I´ll keep a keen eye on this thread and loved the video... anxious to JUMP with your recreation of the AWE Striker... kudos man!

 

 

Some very kind words! I'm happy this is bringing up some great memories. 

 

I guess I'll have to figure out something else when I get around to making the JUMP jet pack. Maybe some House of Pain "Jump Around."

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2017 at 6:49 PM, scotg said:

I am indeed working on a bigger GI Joe mod than just a few vehicles, but this is just the beginning, strangely enough. I started doing GI Joe mods in 2004 with Unreal Tournament 2004, and switched to Battlefield 2, then Crysis/Crysis 2. I took some time away from game mods while serving in the real US Army as a 25U, and now I'm focused on converting and updating the assets for ArmA 3 (I was unaware of ArmA games until right before A3 Alpha was released). The GI Joe- and Cobra-inspired assets I created have evolved into more developed projects as the games have become more sophisticated, and for each game I have had to modify the assets to conform to different formats. I have some written documentation and unwritten plans that are part of a much larger scope, but I will need to get a lot more talented, interested people on board. So far, I've gotten really positive reaction, but the numbers are low. I am thinking about starting a Patreon or Kickstarter to back the funding for this. At the moment, I am a stay-at-home dad of two girls, developing game assets between diaper changes, formula/milk/juice refills, meal prep, cleaning, play time, and nap time. I never actually get to play ArmA 3 unless I am testing something I've made, and I haven't even been on a public server since A3 Beta was the most up-to-date version.

But I'm not throwing a pity party for myself; I just want to present my work to test public reaction, then possibly look into recruiting if that goes well. :-)

If you're interested in seeing the previous assets I created - what they have evolved from, I have set up some subsections in my deviantArt gallery.
GI Joe for UT2004 - These were basically toy-to-game models, without much thought given to any real-world design or proportion.
GI Joe for Crysis - These were starting to become more realized for the confines of reality - an important step towards today's versions. 

 

Yes, I can only imagine how hard it would be to find the time to develop a mod like this, heck, I've been wanting to create a mini campaign for years now, but can't find the time, and that would only take a fraction of the amount of time. 

 

Your Cobra units looked pretty good, have you considered releasing them as a way to introduce people to your mod project. I'm suggesting that because your Cabra units look fairly complete, I could be wrong, but it seems that it wouldn't take much to get them to a state that they could be released. Anyway, just an idea.

 

I wish you luck, this mod project looks very cool.   

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stburr91 said:

Your Cobra units looked pretty good, have you considered releasing them as a way to introduce people to your mod project. I'm suggesting that because your Cabra units look fairly complete, I could be wrong, but it seems that it wouldn't take much to get them to a state that they could be released. Anyway, just an idea.

Thanks!

When you say "units" are you talking about the Cobra Troops and Officers, or all Cobra assets including vehicles?

The Troops are still a work in progress. The Cobra helmets are the only unique part of them that I have modeled (1 for Troopers and 1 for Officers), otherwise they are retextures of existing ArmA content. I want them to be completely original and depend on as few things as possible. Unfortunately, organics and human form are not my strong point, so character building is taking longer. (What trips me up is all the wrinkles and folds that are 1/2 model and 1/2 texturing tricks, along with a lack of expertly knowing how the models fold and bend in this engine.) Once I do get a character asset completed, and I am trying to make it modular for easy changes, then I can start making many more. Hard surfaces like helmets and weapons are easy for me, but softer gear like pouches on harnesses have proven a challenge to me. Also, they are currently relying on other mods' weapons to make them look complete. I have my own Vz61 Skorpion model for them (black plastic grip version), but I haven't started converting it for ArmA3 use. I have yet to model any other weapons mentioned on their file cards here, or here for the officers.

As for the vehicles, most of them still need some interior art to be completed and weapons that work. With the exception of the LM002, all vehicles need lower Vis LODs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've updated the first post with a new video!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G'Day Scotg,

 

The new HISS is looking great. Looking forward to the other vehicles in your Garage.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks outstanding! I'm very interested in this. I'm a big GIJOE fan and do not understand why there is not more content. I found some GI JOE mods for Arma 2 a few years ago and did a fun youtube video with what I had. I would love to do more stuff with Arma 3. Looking forward to seeing this project continue.
 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Donnie_Plays said:

This looks outstanding! I'm very interested in this. I'm a big GIJOE fan and do not understand why there is not more content. I found some GI JOE mods for Arma 2 a few years ago and did a fun youtube video with what I had. I would love to do more stuff with Arma 3. Looking forward to seeing this project continue.

 

That's a cool video! I have a hi-polygon model of the Viper helmet I made, for 3D printing, but I can create a game-ready version from it once I get around to character focus (or if). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never played with GI Joe as a kid but this mod looks great fun, will there be any "enemies" without me going to Google to investigate, anyway looks cool man!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×