@katipo66 There are enemies. Of the two vehicle videos so far, the faction owning the tank seeks world domination, while the faction with the buggy seeks to at least prevent tyranny and protect human rights. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scotg said:

@katipo66 There are enemies. Of the two vehicle videos so far, the faction owning the tank seeks world domination, while the faction with the buggy seeks to at least prevent tyranny and protect human rights. 

Nice! Thunderbird are go! Comes to mind, 

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2017 at 4:19 PM, scotg said:

I've updated the first post with a new video!

Cool update, I always liked the HISS, and enclosing the turret is a nice improvement. 

On 10/21/2017 at 1:14 PM, scotg said:

@Polyus I was hoping to avoid that. LOL.

Come on, you knew someone was going to post that video, along with someone saying, Yo Joe, Knowing is half the battle, and of course, pork chop sandwiches . LoL

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stburr91 said:

Cool update, I always liked the HISS, and enclosing the turret is a nice improvement. 

Come on, you knew someone was going to post that video, along with someone saying, Yo Joe, Knowing is half the battle, and of course, pork chop sandwiches . LoL

Lol @porkchop sandwiches! "Hey kid. I'm a computer. Stop all the downloadin'."

• Like 1

Never a fan of GI Joe, but that DPV  (AWE Striker) Looks incredible! I have wanted one of those for Desert Storm SEAL missions for ages. Nice work!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2017 at 12:45 AM, scotg said:

Thanks!

I believe these might interest you:

- GI Joe 3D
- ArmA III Mod Assets

very impressive job! I have the DVD box set with every episode in it. Brings back a ton of memories... Keep up the great work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cosmic10r said:

I have the DVD box set with every episode in it. 

The one in the little green trunk/footlocker? I have that, but the moment I opened one video its brittle jewel case snapped where it holds the disc. 

2 hours ago, scotg said:

The one in the little green trunk/footlocker? I have that, but the moment I opened one video its brittle jewel case snapped where it holds the disc. 

Oh no!

That sucks... the little case isnt the best but its a nice little set :)

• Like 1

I am in awe of this...I can't wait till you get this one fleshed out more. Nice job so far bud! Keep up the good work and if you ever need an original GI Joe fan who had all the toys when I was a little fella back in the early 80's to test something out let me know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Nichols You bet! Do you have any modding experience, as well? I'm looking for skilled, interested, reliable individuals who can embrace my vision. Sent me a PM if you want to discuss possibilities. :-)

@scotg

The only modding I do is build out factions for missions. So structuring different groups and units within the overall mod itself and even then I have only used the ALiVE ORBAT creator to build the units. My coding skills have long since lapsed into nothing more than a foggy haze of something that I did when I was watching GI Joe on TV while I was learning how to rewrite code on my TRS-80 because the booklet with all the programs had a typo in it somewhere and you had to locate the typo in several hundred to a few thousand lines of code to make it work correctly because there was nothing to say "error in line 497 after >/[XXXXXX];"";"!XXXX".

Now I can test things till the cows come home and take screenshots like no bodies business; its one of the great things I did way back when I worked for Eidos as a game tester in the late 1990's in San Francisco when they were putting out Joint Strike Fighter and collaborating on a few WW2 flight sims.

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2017 at 7:01 AM, Donnie_Plays said:

This looks outstanding! I'm very interested in this. I'm a big GIJOE fan and do not understand why there is not more content. I found some GI JOE mods for Arma 2 a few years ago and did a fun youtube video with what I had. I would love to do more stuff with Arma 3. Looking forward to seeing this project continue.

Re Mod from above video.

I got the source files somewhere if anyone wants them

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ravendk said:

I got the source files somewhere if anyone wants them

I would love to see the source files to learn from! I used these units in A2CO all the time in Sandbox mode! :D

On 11/12/2017 at 9:01 AM, ravendk said:

@scotg  what kind of help do you need ?

I need a lot of help, but primarily artists right now. If possible, I want this mod to depend on other mods as little as possible - or not at all. That being said, there are certain assets that the characters use which are not part of the ARMA3 package. NATO weapons and devices are commonly seen or mentioned in GI Joe toys, accessories, and media, like AKs, M16s, vzors, DEs, 1911s, SMGs, and so on... and so on... Most of these items and others like them are already available through other mods, but unless they become official assets somehow I wouldn't want to rely on them.

PM me if you are an artist interested in creating the following:
Weapons - from real world and fictional from the franchise. We won't be going crazy with red and blue lasers rifles.
Installations - bases, bunkers, guard stations, etc. There should be some interactive elements to nearly all  buildings, like doors at the very least.
Characters - GI Joe and Cobra, common soldiers and known personalities on both sides. I'm more interested in generic looks here. E.G.: any GI Joe Machine gunner can be outfitted like "Rock N Roll" or "Roadblock," two known GI Joe machine gunners. E.G. 2: The character "Grunt" should be the uniform basis for any generic GI Joe soldier (aka Greenshirts). Except for top-brass, Cobra soldiers are mostly unknown/generic, so faces can have many interchangeable looks. Even most ranking, identifiable Cobras have some sort of mask or facial obscurity.
Vehicles - yes, there are many more vehicles to be made. However, not all of the cool ones are game-friendly, or fit into the rigid confines of RV. E.G.: I have a 3D GI Joe SHARC model, but how would we config a flying submarine in RV?

Please note that RV is currently the most GI Joe-ready engine right now, for what I imagine the project to be. RV mod'ers are encouraged to get involved with this project if they like it, but there's no reward other than having worked on an excellent, long-overdue GI Joe game project. However, with enough people eager to embrace the vision I have for this project it can go beyond the confines of RV, so project contributors might need to be prepared to adjust or jump ship. If we do leave RV, it will be for UE4, so at least that's something to consider. This is why I want more artists; as an artist myself, I see it easier to adapt the artwork to another engine while the configs and scripting could be too problematic.

For those reading along: RV = Real Virtuosity, the ArmA 3 Game Engine

• Like 4

I worked on a GI Joe themed mission a year ago and had found this obscure weapons mod that was used from old star wars mod for Arma 3. It had a laser gun that looked and sounded good. It was really OP though. One shot kills, etc. I know you said above that you do not want to do red and blue lasers but do you think it would be too hard? Tracer mags in Arma 3 are fairly powerful and clear to see at night. You would think there would be a way to mod the tracers and make them brighter, giving a laser effect that works in day and night, etc.

• Like 1

It might be do-able. LASERs can be okay as long as their application isn't overpowered (relative to its size and fire rate) or overused. The GI Joe HAL (Heavy Artillery LASER) is a large, towed weapon platform. It emits a straight, instant beam for a duration of time until it penetrates the hull of an unsuspecting vehicle or bunker, and ignites vital components from within. It's plausible enough that I would like to get one working in game. The JUMP "jet" pack (misnomer since it's actually a rocket pack) also has a LASER weapon on it that draws energy from the same source as the rockets. It's a little more Sci-fi than the HAL, but in limited use, low ammo, and slow fire rate it could be plausible as well. Laser Rifles like the ones that replaced the GI Joes' M16s and Cobras' AK47s are what I was talking about avoiding. They are abundant in the cartoons, and they fire Star Wars style bolts energy. If this project were to include them, then they would indeed be OP, yet unreliable - possibly injuring the shooter or surrounding soldiers. It would be unwise to use them for covert missions, since they would give away your position. I'm no scientist, but I wonder: would the weapon size even allow for much ammo? Otherwise, compressing high amounts of energy into such a small magazine could be even more unstable and hazardous, I imagine.

The great thing about video games is that we don't have to worry as much about operating dangerous things, right? I mean it's why I am creating a VTOL A10 (the Rattler)!!! So if you're into experimenting, then go for it!

• Thanks 1

Agree on avoiding laser weapons for small arms etc. In the comic its somewhat more "realistic" than the cartoon and conventional firearms and heavy weapons are used in most cases. Plus it will be one less hurdle to overcome for the mod to implement them. Can't wait to try the mod out by the way! Looks like a blast!

You can go for near future weapons such as rail, gauss or small energy weapons. Military are actually working on these, and while not Star Wars type level, you can make it not so OP. 

Would be cool as experimental  Cobra technology though.

• Like 1

A quick screenshot to show progress:

Cobra Assets on Tanoa

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I cant believe you got the trubble bubble in there... that is so cool lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cosmic10r said:

I cant believe you got the trubble bubble in there... that is so cool lol

I have major work to do just to get it to fly again. I tried making it a VTOL in its current version, but it's too small to utilize that set up properly. I had it working fairly well before as a helicopter without rotors, so I'll try going back to that. I just need to figure out how to limit the roll and pitch.

• Like 1

That Cobra Rattler and Trouble Bubble looks awesome!!! I so want to fly that Firebat all over maps as a personal sightseeing jet! :D

The only thing I would advise based on that one screenshot is to check if you can add details to the textures so it would not be so "flat" like other mods. If you look at all the ARMA 3 vehicles, there are small pits, and texture details in it on Ultra settings. Makes it amazing looking upfront.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Valken said:

That Cobra Rattler and Trouble Bubble looks awesome!!! I so want to fly that Firebat all over maps as a personal sightseeing jet! :D

The only thing I would advise based on that one screenshot is to check if you can add details to the textures so it would not be so "flat" like other mods. If you look at all the ARMA 3 vehicles, there are small pits, and texture details in it on Ultra settings. Makes it amazing looking upfront.

I do have a little grunge on these, and of course there's ambient shadows baked in. The HISS has water stains from dried up rain on its back and paint faded and scratched up on its lower armor. 

I agree there needs to be more details. It's a tricky task, though, because image compression can make an otherwise great texture look bad. Shades of blue are especially challenging; they need more contrast to prevent details from clumping up into blocky sectors. 

• Like 3