oukej

Tanks - tracked vehicles driving and handling

11 hours ago, mickeymen said:

Earlier, on the commander's place, if I needed accuracy for driving a tank, then I used the Ctr + W (Slow move command) or sat in the driver's seat and drove the tank myself. No problems!

10 hours ago, R3vo said:

and you believe that is realistic? I don't think any commander in real life will switch seats...

Of course this is also unlikely, although it is physically possible. Especially if the situation is critical. For example, when the driver or gunner is killed and the commander is under fire in a tank!

I dream about the moment when the @BIS will make the time spenting for change the positions of Driver / Gunner / Commander!

It can always be realized. At the very least for changing positions, the @BIS can add movement sound in the cockpit,  make a black screen and create a status-bar for moving between positions. Thus each movement between positions of Driver / Gunner / Commander could have a personal time for changing positions. It is also necessary to add the status bar for entering and exiting the tank.  That's when everything I said will be realistic!

PS: What we see now in the game (changing positions without the spenting time,  entering / leaving the tank without the spenting time) is not a good part of the Arma gameplay

So here's the video of my second issue that i have no idea how it could be possibly fixed.

When driving forward with steady speed, the animation speed is not steady - it slows down and gets faster at random. In general track speed is too slow compared to before. Right and left side move very differently, even when traveling straight forward. Note the EPE dialog - the average wheelspeed is also varying - which appears to be the core issue. However the track animations looked spot on before the recent physx update and A3 engine modifications. Is there any way i could help with analysis of this problem?

Whenever the "jump" glitch happens the track animation can also glitch out, so it moves very rapidly and in completely wrong directions at times, and also while standing. I had it yesterday while i wasn't recording. When i tried to reproduce it again while recording i managed 3 "jump glitch" within 30mins of driving around but the tracks behaved normally afterwards. On monday when i tried the kuma and my custom vehicle it happened as well - on the kuma the track animation just froze in place.

I created a frame by frame screenshot of one of the jump glitches. Here is the video (glitch at 1:07) Here are the frame by frame screens

It's interesting to see that in the frame before anomalies are visible (2nd picture) , you can see that the RPM behind the gear ratios is negative, even though the vehicle is traveling forward. As if there is a leading sign error in the code somewhere. Immediately after (3rd picture) you see ridiculous wheel speeds and engine RPM drops to 0 even though thrust is 1.0 and ThrustR and ThrustL are both positive as well. Then the ridiculous wheel speeds drop. No visible anomaly in vehicle movement visible at this point. Then RPM values reverse once again -> next frame again insane wheel speeds but also very visible movement glitch.

Yup, that's the "RPM spike" issue...sometimes warps the tank a bit, sometimes it breaks turning or causes other glitches in the physics. It's been around for too long and it's top on our list.

• Thanks 1

ODl9f4g.jpg

Slammer family has some issues with clipping and also being lifted into the air (not flying) from hitting walls.

EDIT: Also... YyUNn3z.jpg

There seems to be an issue with exploding tanks. They are always catapulted in to the air by the explosion.

Why are these changes always called "refactoring"?

Doesn't refactoring mean to change source code structure while avoiding changes to functionality?

Anyway, downloading devbranch now, maybe the time of self propelled artillery has finally come.

Cheers

• Like 1

In the editor.
- put the tank (you are the commander)
- mission start
- instruct the crew to exit
AI will not land from the tank until you sit on the seat of another member of the crew.

The main review in this video is about - penetration through materials and textures, a look at the dependencies. https://feedback.bistudio.com/T83551
High damaging potential for penetration through materials of textures.
Weak dependence of the potential on the speed of impact and distance to the target.

The principle of penetration into the armored plate.

Due to the relatively small mass, the core of the subcaliber projectile immediately after the shot accelerates to a significant speed (1600 m / s). When striking against the armor plate, the core pierces a relatively small hole in it. The kinetic energy of the projectile partially goes to the destruction of the armor, and partly turns into heat. After the penetration of the armor, the red-hot fragments of the core and armor exit into the zabornevoe space and spread fan, damaging the crew and internal mechanisms of the machine. In this case, there are numerous foci of ignition.

As the passage of the armor, the core wears off and becomes shorter. Therefore, a very important characteristic that affects armor penetration is the length of the core. Also, the effectiveness of the action of the subcaliber projectile is affected by the material from which the core is made and the speed of its flight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just noticed that the sideskirts on the Slammer are animated. Has this always been the case or is it new with the latest patch? It's a really cool touch! :)

7 minutes ago, Strike_NOR said:

Just noticed that the sideskirts on the Slammer are animated. Has this always been the case or is it new with the latest patch? It's a really cool touch! :)

Yes, they flap around a little. They've always done that. :)

• Like 2

They flap via "g-force" animation sources. Problem is - these sources are immediate. But swinging objects would oscillate after the force has been applied. This is why it looks arkward. They instantly snap according to whatever maximum has just been detected and snap back just as suddenly.

12 minutes ago, x3kj said:

They flap via "g-force" animation sources. Problem is - these sources are immediate. But swinging objects would oscillate after the force has been applied. This is why it looks arkward. They instantly snap according to whatever maximum has just been detected and snap back just as suddenly.

Hopefully that can be fixed.

Can anyone confirm that all wheeled APCs behave weirdly? When accelerating their rear ends move up and when breaking their front ends do.

2 minutes ago, R3vo said:

This would require something that is technically extremely similar to cloth simulation, except that the movement would be restricted to certain axis of movements and pieces would be rigid. Extremely unlikely to be implemented just for this i would predict.

12 minutes ago, x3kj said:

Can anyone confirm that all wheeled APCs behave weirdly? When accelerating their rear ends move up and when breaking their front ends do.

29 minutes ago, x3kj said:

This would require something that is technically extremely similar to cloth simulation, except that the movement would be restricted to certain axis of movements and pieces would be rigid. Extremely unlikely to be implemented just for this i would predict.

Well, it looks like cancer now, it can't stay this way.

Edit:

There's another suggestion I'd like to make. The audio update of the Kuma introduced a nice engine start up sound, however, this sound is kinda useless since one doesn't actually need to start the engine. One can directly start driving even if the engine wasn't even turned on.

Would it technically be possible to add something like a startup time for vehicles? So one has to start up the engine first, wait a 2-3 seconds before driving.

24 minutes ago, R3vo said:

Edit:

There's another suggestion I'd like to make. The audio update of the Kuma introduced a nice engine start up sound, however, this sound is kinda useless since one doesn't actually need to start the engine. One can directly start driving even if the engine wasn't even turned on.

Would it technically be possible to add something like a startup time for vehicles? So one has to start up the engine first, wait a 2-3 seconds before driving.

I second this, RHS has done a few second wait time of their tanks so it is technically possible. 

43 minutes ago, R3vo said:

"now"? It has been like this for ages. I disliked it when it was first introduced back then, but didnt say anything - mostly because i don't use vanilla content other than for testing stuff out. Personally i would remove these animations. When it's not doable properly in the available time with available ressources, it's better to accept defeat and make notes for next round of engine improvements (Enfusion...). 

2 hours ago, R3vo said:

Ha this was bothering me too as the new start up sound has that awesome feel.  But like you said push foward key and it just insta moves no engine start up.

The devil in the details certainly got lost  somewhere there.

Hell Alls you gotta do is hop into a wipeout pressing forward.  it will take off as you're still climbing up the ladder.

• Like 1

@oukej

Are you please able to confirm/deny if "hasdriver=-1" (thus allowing single person tank controls) is an intended behaviour that will be staying?

10 hours ago, x3kj said:

You can use animPeriod in animation cfg to smooth movement a little bit. There were some packing issues recently so probably that's why this change didn't made to Thursday and Friday update.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, reyhard said:

You can use animPeriod in animation cfg to smooth movement a little bit. There were some packing issues recently so probably that's why this change didn't made to Thursday and Friday update.

Awesome. So it should be at least someway better than as is.  

Offtopic - just out of curiosity Rayhard. is the YouTube channel you linked in the discussion recently yours? After checking out the video with the tank. I went down a rabbit hole looking at the other videos on it. Some really cool shit on there. 

2 hours ago, reyhard said:

Does that mean technically you can animate the tracks so they wobble around like tracks usually do? 

10 hours ago, Imperator[TFD] said:

@oukej

Are you please able to confirm/deny if "hasdriver=-1" (thus allowing single person tank controls) is an intended behaviour that will be staying?

is solo-able tanks a problem?

22 hours ago, R3vo said:

Confirming and acknowledging.

11 hours ago, Imperator[TFD] said:

@oukej

I can confirm that one too. As a configurable behavior (whatever mod may require it... a drone, mini tank, mechanized turtleosaurus, or just a more arcade tank mod). Vanilla commanding of MBTs will require AI driver.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

is solo-able tanks a problem?

Nope, not at all.  I can see a use for it even in Mil-Sim style missions.

12 hours ago, oukej said:

I can confirm that one too. As a configurable behavior (whatever mod may require it... a drone, mini tank, mechanized turtleosaurus, or just a more arcade tank mod). Vanilla commanding of MBTs will require AI driver.

Cheers for that mate.

Will we still be able to use "hasdriver=-1" in scripting or will this be vehicle config side?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Imperator[TFD] said:

Nope, not at all.  I can see a use for it even in Mil-Sim style missions.

Allows communities to field more armoured vehicles onto the map, which in turns allows for bigger battles and overall more variety in mission layout + objectives due to the higher number of armoured vehicles. 

I love it. 

• Like 2